Reston, VA

Posted March 11, 2015
It's so hard to find good schools and good teachers, but keep looking. The school might have a great math program for kids who automatically get math, but my kid, gifted in other areas, now has massive wholes in his education. The director knows that he and his math group have had poor teachers for years. Even though she tells people at the onset that students are allowed to learn at their own levels, this isn't true. I was not the only parent who expressed concern about my child's math group but we were treated like sub-standard citizens. A current 8th grade math class that isn't' the top group just had one of the few good math teachers taken out of their class in the middle of the year to teach fourth graders--even though they need the top-notch instruction to graduate on track. I think because the 8th graders are graduating and there is no more money to be made from them, the director doesn't care about them. Just know that you won't get everything you are promised.

Posted November 17, 2014
This school definitely needs help! They have no accreditation, which didn't bother me at first, but now seeing the quality of my child's teachers as she moves up in the school, really bothers me. My child has been here since first grade and did very well in 1st and 2nd grades. However, during 3rd grade my child starting showing signs of distress, I believe the teacher had a lot to do with this. She was treated very poorly by her teacher in the 3rd grade, called names by her teacher, in front go her class and always screamed at. Unfortunately this teacher is still working at Edlin. Furthermore, management, if you want to call it that, treats the parents as children as well. Parking is ridiculously crazy at the school, and forget parking in a spot in the lot itself, because "its for the teachers", you will get reprimanded if you park there, I did. As mentioned by other parents, the academic program is good, but not great. Edlin follows a more advanced curriculum, and it is not tailored to the individual child's strengths, rather, they are rushed through the subject matters whether they know the material or not. Edlin is definitely not contributing to my child's success.

Posted September 17, 2014
I think the school is exceptional at allowing the children to learn at their level. There are often multiple levels or groups within a grade which has enabled our kids at the school to advance at their pace. The teachers are warm and caring and the small class sizes cater to the individual learning environment that is fostered in the school. Thanks to all the teachers who support this atmosphere and bring a small community feeling to the school.

Posted July 10, 2014
My child has been in this school since Kindergarten and I have been generally happy. This has been the second year that I have had a complaint about teacher quality, during both years one teacher in particular-one of the two teachers left, one, (I think), remains-and she is startlingly unprofessional and should not be teaching or at the very least should receive training. The main complaint I have about this school is communication with parents, other than that I really like Edlin and my child is very happy there. The curriculum is good, much better than what I witnessed at the public schools and the children are challenged by some teachers. My child feels loved at this school and the kids really watch out for each other. The only other complaint that I have is that the administration really needs to consider the quality of some of the teachers they have recently hired and the quality of the programs they are selling to parents, in particular, after school activities and summer camp-the cost is outrageous and the camp is substandard.

Posted June 10, 2014
Great school! Both of my children attended, and the teachers and staff are very caring, and go the extra mile. Really care and bring out the best in the students.

Edlin School 2

Posted October 06, 2013
I agree with the May 23rd, 2013 post. The teacher quality is widely varied, from poor to good. The class size is advertised as small, but the director keeps adding students regardless of whether they can keep up with the work. One of my children was asked to keep an eye on a classmate to make sure that he does his in-class work. Apparently, there were other kids in the class that could not keep up with the work. There are rich spoiled kids and kids with lots of issues who disrupt the class. One of my kids was threatened with a fist by a classmate. The academic program is good, but not great. Edlin follows a more advanced curriculum, but it is not tailored to the individual child's strengths. My child was tested in the beginning of the school year and placed accordingly. However, when the year went on and my child advanced more than the rest in the group, the teacher refused to move the child up to the next level, telling me that the director had said to finish the material in that level. As a result, my child came home complaining for the remaining half of the year that the subject was easy.

Posted June 12, 2013
We've got two kids in Edlin and have been thrilled by the education delivered. Class sizes range from 11:1 to 15:1 and the personal attention can't be beat.

Posted May 23, 2013
We had absolutely WORST experience with this school. First of all, they do not have any accreditation. That itself should be a red flag. We believed what they said - unnecessary paperwork and added cost etc. But found out the reality the hard way. The teacher quality is poor to mediocre. (Ms.Young is obviously an exception. ) The class size is small and they will keep adding students till the end of the year. Basically, they'll admit anyone who has the ability to pay the tuition. We have seen rich spoiled kids and kids with lots of issues in different classes. Their academic program is average. Nothing great. There are many good private schools in DC metro area. Even public schools in No. VA are better than Edlin. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 08, 2012
Best private school in the area. High expectations and great results without any stress. Music, Latin, Spanish, French - all starting in pre-K. Great sports program as well.

Posted February 13, 2012
We have been at this school for a couple of years now and both the kids and I adore this school. We are eternally grateful that we found this school when we did, it has been my children's saving grace. Yes I too have had struggles w/a teacher/former staff member (or two) but to say that this is the only school where this happens would be disingenuous. Tn the grand scheme of things the good aspects of the school overwhelmingly outweigh the bad...and believe me when you have been through hell and back as we have with the public school system it's easy to distinguish between a great school and a horrendous one. The class size (between 13-15 students per teacher ratio), the nurturing environment and outstanding academic curriculum makes this school a force to be reckoned with!! Wait until you see the end of the year performances-usually based on a literary classic (Last year each class performed a portion of Homers' Odyssey- depending on their grade) and the musicals! Don't my word for it, allow your child to spend a day in the classroom and hear what he/she has to say for yourself. You'll be amazed.

Edlin School