Richmond, VA

Posted May 06, 2015
Let me start out by saying that for the rest of my life I will remember Lucille M. Brown Middle School. I do not mean that in a good sense; as a member of the IB program, I can safely say that this school did not meet my expectations. Let's start with the teachers. Some are truly amazing, being very organized and helpful, however, that is only one half. The other half are either often absent or are present but do not actually teach. As for the atmosphere, it also disappoints immensely. The main reason: Lucille M. Brown (not the IB program) is home to some very rude and disrespectful students. We don't have many classes with them, and so the interaction occurs mainly in the halls. But even that short experience may leave a deep mark; that is how badly those students act. Saying that, there are still nice people, but the amount of them is inferior. I am not even going to talk about the bathrooms. To sum it all up, I am very disappointed with my current school. I was expecting the well praised IB program to provide a great education, but that is clearly not the case. I can only fear what will happen next year...

Posted May 06, 2015
I am an IB student at Lucille M Brown Middle School. In my opinion the school is not very good. While several of the teachers are great many of them obviously don't care about our education. They don't really try to teach their kids anything and don't show up to school. Also it seems that they don't care about the non-IB students because they don't really try to stop the kids from wandering around the halls whenever they feel like it, for example, sometimes they don't even get to class until 30 minuets after the bell has rung. Many of the facilities are almost beyond repair. One of the bathrooms has had an out of order stall for most of the year and there is toilet paper stuck to a lot of the ceiling. At first I thought that this was normal for a middle school but after looking around this site for a bit I could tell that our school is way below standards. Thank you for reading my review and considering my opinions

Lucille M. Brown Middle School 5

Posted August 09, 2014
School is clean, teachers are professional and the IB programme is giving the students there a great opportunity. The staff is welcoming and the students have a good gym area.

Lucille M. Brown Middle School 5

Posted August 09, 2014
My children have been going to this school and the staff as well as the principal are very nice and helpful. The teachers are caring and supportive and have helped my kids a lot. The Environment is good and the school is very modern. They have the IB programme which gives the children an added advantage.

Posted June 08, 2014
I am a student that is at LMB in the IB programme and i think that the program is placed in a horrible school> the program is great and the other students work well together without getting in the way of the students out of the IB programme although sometime the non IB's like to start something with us.

Posted October 10, 2013
This school is a real disappointment. If a home school was opened up in the projects I'd probably feel safer bringing my kids there than this school. There are so many lock downs/code reds on a regular basis where is there time to learn? The kids walk around the school cursing and fights break out randomly on a regular basis. The staff doesn't address these type of issues because they are considered to by "small". The assistant principal and other staff come dressed like their on their way to the strip club. Do your child and yourself a favor, don't enroll. Seriously.

Lucille M. Brown Middle School 4

Posted May 18, 2013
LM Brown is very involved with the students and their needs for learning.Teachers are or try to be very understanding with those students who have special needs for learning. Im very happy with this school

Posted May 20, 2012
This school is disappointing. The I.B program is great, but it is is housed in a horrible school. The none I.B kids get in to fights and should get suspended daily! They wear booty shorts and belly shirts and get in to fights and scream cuss words at the teachers and skip class and the teachers and principal and the vice principals don't care! But of the I.B kids wear shorts that are down to their knees they get yelled at! Also the teachers do not care about their kids at all! I.B is sopposed to be challenging and hard but it is very easy! The school is also obviously segregated. The non I.B population is almost all Africain American and the I.B population is almost all White. The non I.B kids think that the I.B kids are stuck up and rich and they scream cuss words at us and try to fight us. This school is so unsatisfactory its unbelievable. I.B needs to have it's own school!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted March 19, 2012
My two kids both got into the IB program at Brown- after much hard work and a rigorous application process. They were so excited. Well, the whole thing has been a huge disappointment. Why are people complaining about the workload?? My kids are not being challenged AT ALL. I've spoken to most of their teachers, and am not impressed. There's no passion for learning, no striving for excellence, no innovative projects, no mentoring. This is NOT what my kids signed up for. IB has turned into a joke. I really do believe that it was a very good program, but at this particular school, has fallen off course. Poor administration and substandard teachers are primarily to blame. These kids worked hard to get here. They are the best of the best, and it should be a privilege to help prepare them for high school and college, but that is not the mindset here. I have found motivated teachers few and far between, and the administration is pretty much sticking their heads in the ground like ostriches. And yes, I do agree with the other reviews about the fights, segregation that is clearly going on, and lack of discipline. Really, really sad and disappointing.

Posted January 25, 2012
This review is very hard to write. I am a student in the IB program at this school. Right now, the work is very rigorious and challanging... so thats a plus. There are some great teachers that are very passionate, some that can't control their class, some that respect us, some that don't, and some that bore us to tears. So, the academics are worth about three stars. Now, on to the atmosphere.... that is not so good. One of the school's biggest problems is discipline. Students don't respect the adults and don't care if they get suspended. Most administrators don't take discipline seriously and in result the kids don't either. Fights break out all the time, even though the school has tried to correct bullying. The language is so bad, yet most of the kids who use saltly language don't know it is wrong because no one seems to care (bad language is thoughout the whole school, even IB). The school is very segregated, and people who are white or are in IB are usually predjudiced against. Sometimes I just deal with it, because I think, "This is how it is at all middle schools." But now, looking at the way some other schools are, I wonder if it is time to move on to greener pastures.

Lucille M. Brown Middle School
6300 Jahnke Rd, Richmond, VA  23225
Last modified Lucille M. Brown Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lucille M. Brown Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top