Posted May 21, 2015
I was impressed by the classrooms and the happy, engaged buzz that the students have while working. I toured and the kids were interested in their work, but they were also very respectful. One asked me how I was and another rushed to open a door for us when we were on the way into her classroom. The best part was getting part of the tour from the eighth graders and listening to them talk about their experience. I had a lot of questions about Montessori and the Admissions Coordinator took time to answer them all.

Richmond Montessori School 2

Posted January 21, 2015
Out of touch administration, weak academics at the elementary level and not as Montessori as they claim. The school is fine at the preschool level, but we have not been impressed by the elementary curriculum. There is not enough emphasis on basic math skills, no reading or writing curriculum, and the children often do language and writing exercises out of workbooks. Homework and standardized testing (one week each spring) begin in first grade, and children are pushed to keep at a certain pace. They will tell you that they "follow the child" and meet each child where he/she is at, but that is not the case in practice. We have had friends report that their children were behind after leaving Montessori in mid-grade school. Strongly recommend leaving by kindergarten.

Posted January 18, 2014
We have been blown away with the excellence at RMS. The authentic Montessori taught by all accredited teachers is refreshing. Graduates of RMS walk away fully prepared to handle the world and are well on their way to being poised young adults.

Posted December 05, 2013
Richmond Montessori school is honestly the best school I have gone to everyone is so nice. I would defiantly recommend this school to someone else.

Posted September 18, 2013
The Richmond Montessori School (RMS) provides a terrific alternative in Richmond's private school arena. The Montessori curriculum nurtures confident, independent learners who go on to consistently do well beyond 8th grade. I have been impressed with the graduates from this school, who seem far more mature and self-directed than middle school students I meet elsewhere. I see similar growth and development in my own children as they progress through the program, and am thrilled we landed in this environment. RMS is truly a gem.

Posted February 02, 2013
I have had three children go through RMS. The academics are superb, and I feel that the kindergarten and elementary levels are the best kept secret in town! This education encourages the spark from within the child, resulting in intellectually curious, academically motivated students. What's more, their ability to communicate with their peers and adults is superb. The administration is committed to continued growth and development of the school. My children have gone on to transition easily at highly ranked collegiate preparatory schools in the area. Their RMS background has helped them to become analytical thinkers, and to develop social skills that create an empathetic young adult who is able to contribute to our community in a meaningful way.

Posted January 22, 2013
We moved to Ricmond last year and it is second year for my son in this school. Since age 2 my son has been going to a Montessori school and this is our third Montessori school. So far this is best school I have experienced. School provide a community environment which helps your child to thrive. As there are 3 age group kids in one class, your child always know what to look forward to and also learns to help the younger one, which is such a confidence booster.

Posted July 23, 2010
Our son is about to start his second year at RMS and has simply thrived at the school. The teachers are phenomonal, and we love being a part of this community. I can't imagine a better place for our child.

Posted June 15, 2010
Wonderful school where each child is their own person rather than merely a number. Lots of private schools claim that they teach to the child, but in my experience (my daughter attended another prestigious private school for the first couple of years), RMS is the one that lives up to this credo. School leadership has a very clear vision and lives this everyday. Purchase of neighboring property will allow the school to expand and live up to its potential. The teachers are exceptional. As I said earlier, each child is valued for their unique qualities. Do go on a tour and see the Montessori magic for yourself.

Posted May 20, 2010
My son is a primary one student and he has flourished mentally and physically here. The teachers here really do want the best for your child. The parents and overall community of this school is great. Being new to Richmond, I found the parents and staff very welcoming and understanding. If you are new to Richmond, I strongly recommend you check out this school!

Richmond Montessori School
499 N Parham Rd, Richmond, VA  23229
Last modified Richmond Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Richmond Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top