Richmond, VA

Posted July 23, 2014
We have two children at Good Shepherd and are delighted with the school. Our kids have had an excellent experience academically, socially and personally and I see it in so many facets of their development. We really like the personalized experience and attention, as well as the teachers, staff and families which make up the community. Go GSES Rams!!

Posted August 24, 2013
I love that this school makes education feel like a community effort! Also, there is on-site before and after school care that is a great option for working parents. Children can start school as early as 3 years old ... we have loved everything about our experience at GSES, and would recommend it without hesitation. Our son is so excited to begin his 4th year at the school!

Posted March 18, 2013
Good Shepherd School remains a great place for children and families. I have a child who stared in 3rd grade and will graduate this spring and another child in 4th grade- we have always been pleased with the academic offerings, individualized eduction, and most of all caring teacher/family/faculty environment- classes tend to be between 10-16- a perfect size to address individual needs. Children are happy, confident and feel loved by all- they leave ready to go anywhere else and establish true friendships and relationships. I also think extra after school offerings and clubs are great offerings for a small private school- it's a great place for children and families- it always has been.

Good Shepherd Episcopal School 4

Posted September 18, 2012
This is our 5th year at GSES; we are holding a wait-&-see what happens attitude. Last year ended horribly. Academically, GSES is very good and almost individual learning environment has been excellent for our child. However, management changed last year, and the heavy handed style, along with personality clashes, indicated to us that perhaps what's best for the students is not what comes first. It was too late to move our child for this school year.

Posted May 25, 2010
Wow! What a hidden treasure. My child had a magnificent year at Good Shepherd Episcopal School. You can't beat the academic programs, the caring environment or the great community that we found at GSES. In today's sometimes scary world, it is comforting to know that I can send my child to school and know that she will be safe, feel loved and challenged in her academic classes. We also love the many enrichment classes that are offered to her multiple times a week. In addition to twice a week P.E., music, and art classes, she also has computer, library, science lab, spanish and free tutorials each week. What an experience. Well worth the money! We highly recommend GSES!

Posted January 30, 2010
While Good Shepherd is not a wealthy school (It's tuition is very reasonable.), it is sound financially. As is the case with many private schools, enrollment is smaller this year due to the recession. There is no 3rd grade this year because there are no 3rd graders. The church with which it is affiliated is over 100 years old with equal character. The school itself is almost 40 years old. It has everything that one could want in a private school . . . both national and state accreditation; a strong, sound curriculum; experienced, dedicated, and enthusiastic teachers; a positive and effective administration; low student-teacher ratio; all of the extra/co-curriculars (Spanish, technology, science lab, music, art, and P.E.); character and spiritual education; and the warmest, most familial community you've ever witnessed. My son, husband, and I all adore it. Do your child and family a service, and consider GSES.

Good Shepherd Episcopal School 2

Posted November 28, 2009
Even though GSES has mostly engaging and knowlegable teachers, there still are some teachers that weigh the growth of the school down. GSES has fine soccer and basketball teams though. Currently, there is no 3rd grade at GSES which tells us that GSES is suffering ecnomical issues. Overall, GSES is a fine school, but tread carefully.

Good Shepherd Episcopal School 3

Posted June 29, 2009

Posted November 30, 2008
We are new to the school this year, having transferred from public school. Going from a class size of 26 to 28 students to the small classes at Good Shepherd has made a world of difference for our boys. We are thrilled with our choice and wouldn't consider any other school. The school's accreditation by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS) gives us assurance that Good Shepherd is one of the best schools in the Richmond area. Our boys are engaged and motivated by the individual attention they receive from the teachers and administration. They participate in after school study hall and we have taken back our evenings for family time instead of homework. We have been pleasantly surprised by the parents who have welcomed us into the school community and immediately made our children feel welcome.

Posted November 16, 2008
My son is in his fourth year at GSES, and I could not be happier with the results. I appreciate the school's focus on respect, character, and personal accountability. His test scores have been exeptional, and I attribute this to the rigorous academic program, the caring of his teachers and the dedicated administration. I would remove him in a heartbeat if the standards become lower. Good Shepherd is worth every penny.

Good Shepherd Episcopal School
4207 Forest Hill Avenue, Richmond, VA  23225
Last modified Good Shepherd Episcopal School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Good Shepherd Episcopal School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top