No rating

The Steward School

Private | PK-12 | 627 students

Our school is best known for preparing our students for college and for life.

Student diversity

Living in Richmond

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $230,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $950.

Posted October 28, 2014

I attended Steward from 6th to 12th grade. Steward prepared me for college in many different aspects - public speaking, writing, group projects, etc. Steward's classrooms are small which allowed me grow individually as a student. Whether it was reading out loud, forming relationships with my peers and teachers, asking for help, or participating in group discussions, Steward helped me build confidence in these aspects of a classroom. When I attended a large college, I knew that I would be able to succeed because of the preparation I received as a Steward student.

Posted October 27, 2014

I attended Steward in 1998 as a sophomore. It was not easy to make friends. The children were very judgmental. They seemed to have no idea that a world existed outside of their social groups. They were all quite wealthy and unable to fathom that a person could live without heated floors and in ground swimming pools. These kids would not have been able to make it in the real world without help from their parents. There was NO diversity here. Everyone looks the same, everyone dresses the same. I was given detention (for wearing a t-shirt and jeans) on a day that fell on a holiday for my religion. I explained that to the teacher, who told me there were no exceptions. My mother had to call the school to get the detention moved. Even with only a handful of children in a class, the teachers were still unable to communicate effectively. The children did not work hard or study hard. The teachers did not grade us based on our actual work, because if they had everyone would have failed, because no one tried. They hardly ever handed out a grade below a "C." I'm sure that's directly related to the high tuition cost. .

Posted May 20, 2014

The Steward School has achieved amazing results with my three children. The small class sizes and close-knit school community contribute to academic success and personal development.

Posted May 20, 2014

Steward is a wonderful option for our two children. The teachers know our children and challenge them accordingly. The kids are exposed to many opportunities for engagement-- allowing them to discover their interests and talents. Steward is not a one size fits all environment, which will continue to allow our children to grow and evolve.

Posted February 11, 2014

Steward offers small class sizes and a strong arts program. This is the only benefit the school maintains over a decent public education. Academically, at least as to the lower school, it is average. It has no core writing or reading program, no social-emotional curriculum, and often teachers use basal text learning. Complacency and lack of a creative curriculum are pervasive. For the cost to send our kids there, I expected far more. Unfortunately, I don't think either the school or other parents realize how average the academic rigor is at the school. The lack of leadership at the lower school is also palpable.

Posted January 14, 2014

We love Steward, and have two children in Lower School today. The care they receive, the high level of teachers (My kids' Reading and Math just keep getting better!) are what make it stand out. We are really impressed with the focus on character and sportsmanship. Even at ages 7 and 9, our kids (one boy and one girl) have come home with some life lessons I sure could have used at their age. How they do that with all the classes and extras is hard to tell. We're big supporters (as I suppose you can tell). If there was one improvement, it might be to slow down a bit, and let the children not try to "experience" absolutely everything. I think we're different as parents, asking for that instead of running around trying to do it all. But my wife and I feel there's more to life than every possible sport and musical concert. At least they have an out door ecology center alongside the sports fields!

Posted September 30, 2013

My years at Steward were some of the best in my life. It allowed me to fully develop during my most formative years and I made some of the best friends I have. Even as an Indian kid, I found my place within the school and my teachers were amazingly supportive and I felt loved and at home. Even now that I am at Maggie Walker, I feel that Steward is my home and I have a Spartan family. Coming from a former student, if you are looking to send your child to a private school in the Richmond area, you should choose Steward. I will always feel at home there and I know your child will too.

Posted April 12, 2013

The only thing this school has going for it is the classroom sizes, the kids, and the parents. The teachers are, mostly, public school rejects; most of them are subpar. If you live in a great neighbourhood on the west of either Henrico or Chesterfield (Cosby, Midlothian, Godwin, Deep Run, or Freeman), save your money and send your kids to public school. Use the money to travel during the summer. If your kids don't end up in one of those free public high schools, home school them. It'll beat this educational facility.

Posted December 24, 2011

I LOVE my new school so much more than anything! I have met so many friends here. I used to attend a public school in Henrico County, and I am so glad I made the switch to this school. Everyone was very welcoming, and there were lots of new students attending also. I am in 6th grade, and there is nothing I complain on.

Posted June 20, 2011

Steward School is by far the best of comparable private schools in the Richmond area. Their commitment to small class size is so critical to classroom success for each child. They promote each child's individual strengths as opposed to expecting every child to fit into the same box and in the last two years they have made real progress in improving the school's diversity. My child is very happy at Steward and is getting an amazing education!

Posted March 24, 2010

Best School in Richmond. One on one attention; concerned about the student's success in life...they are open to people from different economic and cultural backgrounds..support diversity and embrace it. Couldn't be happier. Mr's Melanie Rodriguez has really been fundamental in my son's life.

Posted November 1, 2008

Steward is just such a great school. Any child who has potential and really wants a good education, great teachers, long-lasting friendships, and a wonderful experience would LOVE Steward. :)

Posted March 21, 2008

I disagree with the previous review that the teacher's do not like to be questioned and are somewhat inflexible. In our two years at Steward we have met nothing but support and success for our 1st grader who we believe is not just average. Steward like many other independant school is saturated with high achievers that are far above average. The administration and the teachers seem to take great care in the placement of the children and are very accomodating in most if not all requests for assistance. Steward is a fabulous educational institute and the teacher's are top-notch!

Posted March 7, 2008

Our children graduated from Steward. We are most grateful for the attention given to helping them select the right colleges. They were well prepared for the academic demands of college and had easier transitions than many college freshmen. In particular, instruction received in writing and public speaking served them well in college and will continue to do so in their chosen careers.

Posted December 29, 2005

The school's mission of not just looking for the rocket scientists doesn't mean that the education programs aren't top notch. Because of the small class sizes, average and very bright students get a wonderful education. The International Students Program adds a global diversity which is important in today's world. The fine arts and sports programs are incredible for a school of its size, and parents are welcome partners. Kids matter here!

Posted July 26, 2005

My daughter enterered Steward in middle school and is now a senior. The opportunities this school gave to her brought out her leadership and athletic abilities. She developed good organizational and study skills and appreciates the importance of a good education. Steward's teachers are very dedicated people that truly care about the children they teach. My children have attended both private and public schools, but Steward is, by far, the best this town has to offer. With regards to the dress code, my daughter feels good about looking nice when she goes off to school everyday. As a parent, we can still say NO to shoes or other attire that is unsafe or unsuitable for our children. The dress code does allow girls to wear pants during the winter, so this is not an issue. Nothing is perfect, but Steward sure does come close.

Posted February 27, 2005

The Steward School is a very easy school in the piont of educations. The only challenging part is the Homework(my kids do their homework for 3-4 hours a day!). Other than that the Steward school has an excellent Athletic program. All in all you can say that the Steward School is the right place for Students who had trouble in other private schools in the point of education.

Posted October 30, 2004

I disagree with the reviewer that said deep pockets get you in. I know of several families with deep pockets that didn't get in, and many families of modest means who did. My kids love it there, and though they have very different aptitudes and learning styles, they are happy and successful. The focus on the whole child through the strong arts and athletic program is a major plus. Also, it is a very caring community. It's much less snobbish than many of the other private schools in the area, and acceptance of differences is taught and modelled from Kindergarten on. The buildings are gorgeous, but it's the staff that are the real treasure. You can't beat it in the Richmond area.

Posted October 4, 2004

This school offers a banal approach to education. It is entirely consumed by rules and regimentation and appears to understand little about the process of stimulating independent learning. Parents and students frequently are subjected to hours of homework and much of class time is consumed in checking and assigning more homework. Testing is ceaseless. There is no attempt to honor or support diversity. This is truly a small town school with a small town view of today's world.

Posted July 29, 2004

The Steward School is an excellent school! By far superior to others in this area. Our experience in the past 5 years was fantastic. One on one attention, excellent staff, small classrooms, warm enviroment. Parents are very involved and friendly. The lowerschool head mistress is the best, along with her staff. I would highly recommend this school over any other in Richmond. Both of my children have enjoyed the school so much and have a love of learning as a result. The campus is NEW and has wonderful facilities. Teaching methods are above board. This is a gem of a school in a world that is not so pleasant. Review for yourself, you will be pleased. E.Gallahan

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Cooking club

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Dan Frank
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • Honors track
  • Internships
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Cooking club
  • Diversity club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language and culture club

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom