Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted May 08, 2016
I feel that a "4" does not accurately reflect the quality of North Springfield. Unfortunately using test scores to grade schools gives an incomplete and often incorrect picture. As both a parent and staff member, I know that North Springfield is a great school. First, it is a happy school. This is not a school that bleeds staff each year unlike many higher rated schools in FCPS. Teachers come to North Springfield and rarely leave. This provides consistency and improves the quality of education. It also builds community. This is another area in which North Springfield excels. We have an active PTA and teachers who give freely of their time with before- and after-school clubs such as Knitting, Young Scientists, Get Up and Move, and the annual 5th Grade play. One reason teachers are so happy is the amazing administration. Mr. McRae and Mrs. Usher are supportive, caring, and present. They are in the halls and in the classrooms in a positive way. I've worked in schools where some students didn't even know who the principal was. That's not the case here. They have a vision for the school that includes educating the whole child. Student well-being is just as important as SOL scores. They encourage creativity in their staff and believe in open discussion, treating teachers as professionals. Many staff members, including me, choose to pupil-place their children here. This is another testament to North Springfield's greatness. I don't know any teacher who would choose to place his/her children in a poor quality school. My daughter loves North Springfield. The teachers are amazing. The children are incredibly nice and there are few behavior issues. Our population is ethnically, economically, and culturally diverse. This makes for some fantastic International celebrations and great life lessons for our children. Yes, our test scores aren't the best, but they're improving. It's sad that so much emphasis is still being placed on standardized tests. They measure so little, really. Happy students and staff, that's the true measure.

North Springfield Elementary School
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted May 08, 2016
Kathy Dannholz for making me feel welcome, helping with the Book Fair, and always being positive.

Posted January 29, 2015
My son has been there 2 years now and really likes it. The teachers and staff are really good with the kids. Also a good mix of diverse kids.

North Springfield Elementary School 4

Posted May 12, 2014
My daughter has been going to NSES for the past 4 years. We are very pleased with the school and have enjoyed every teacher so far. The principal and vice principal are a good team - they are both approachable, communicative, and have fun with the students. The counselor has a positive influence on the school community with fun programs that promote school spirit, discourage bullying, and value diversity. The school is very diverse, which is a reflection of the greater community. Parents are welcome to the program and all support is appreciated. The emphasis is on learning, but children are still allowed to be kids at NSES and that is something our family appreciates. Our daughter was going thru a tough time and her teachers were so patient and understanding. I feel like they sincerely care about her and the well-being of all their students.

Posted October 19, 2013
this school is great for kids. wonderful teachers who are experienced and energetic. My daughter loves this school.

Posted August 22, 2013
Great Staff! Students who enjoy learning make this top notch school. I look forward to National Reflection art program.

Posted January 31, 2011
This school is an excellent school for both my son and daughter. My son has been an honor roll student, and he and my daughter love her teachers. Ms. Alexander is an awesome principal.

Posted March 27, 2008
this school is excellent! I attended it when I was very young! Excellent teachers and programs! My daughter goes their now and loves her kindergarten teacher

Posted August 27, 2005
We have twin daughters in the 1st grade who love the teachers and faculty. The school building appears to be in great shape. High level of parental involvement and extracurricular activities. Art, PE, & music are fully integrated into the curriculum: 3 days per week.

Posted March 03, 2005
Both of my children have come through the NSES system. I have been extremely happy with the quality of the administration, the teachers, and the active parents. I have never encountered any issues with overly stringent 'behavior modification.' Like any school system, some teachers are more very active and engaging than others. I would strongly suggest attending the PTA meetings to learn more from the parents and administration. Also, the grade level teachers rotate through the PTA meetings giving the parents a change to speak more frankly and directly to the teachers. We have also loved the diversity represented in this school and the events held to celebrate this diversity.

North Springfield Elementary School
7602 Heming Court, Springfield, VA  22151
Last modified North Springfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.