Springfield, VA

Posted January 23, 2015
My daughter is in her 3rd year at Orange Hunt and she as well as us love it. The teachers are engaged and friendly, respond quickly to emails and always have an open ear for concerns. To the topic of the not so friendly office staff - yes, they are not the warmest people on the first gimps. But if you are nice to them they are friendly and nice back, it is that simple people! They are very helpful when you need them to be and that counts. To the Principal Mr. Pensler: I do not know what some people understand under the term "not a people person", in my understanding of it it just does not match the person I see at school. He is at every event we attended, always friendly, outgoing and sweet with the kids. I especially liked his responds to an email from me with my daughters question if it would be possible to stay together with her best friend for the next year: That he believes that school is not just a place to learn math and sciences but also a place for kids to be happy and grow as human beings. Now, who would not like such an environment for their kids?!

Orange Hunt Elementary School 3

Posted December 18, 2014
The 6th grade team is horrendous and the 5th grade team not much better. Hope your kids like videos because that is how they are taught math. The teacher hits play. The 6th grade team is the grumpiest group possible. At back to school night the heard all the parents in a multi purpose room where they spend the entire presenting a PowerPoint. The intent of the presentation is to scare the parents so that they will never question the authority of the 6th grade team. The entire focus of 6th grade seems to be social studies and making sure the interactive notebook looks pretty. You'll get an earful about the interactive notebook at back to school night. The school has a fairly new principal and based on the many staff turnovers and the entire PTA quitting I'm going to presume he is not well regarded by his staff or parents.

Orange Hunt Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2014
In a nutshell, Orange Hunt Elementary has the potential to be a very good/great school. Many of the teachers care deeply for the students. Mrs. Kettler was amazing with our son a couple years back. Mrs. Frederick and the entire band/music department is excellent. I have heard lots said about the front office staff - mainly negative. I agree that this group of ladies is quite unfriendly, unwelcoming, and generally make you feel like you're "putting them out" when you ask the simplest thing, like to check out your child for a Dr. Appt., etc. This is a shame, because they are on the "front line" of interaction with the public and set the tone for the school. However, I believe the REAL problem is with leadership, or a lack thereof. The Principal does not demonstrate the traits of a leader when he is in front of parents. He comes across as inept and I believe he is in over his head at this school. It amazes me that the district would allow this to happen. This year, the entire PTA board resigned after struggling with school leadership. A change is needed at OHES. We've had an overall good experience sending 3 students here, but COME ON FFX CTY ISD....get a REAL leader please

Orange Hunt Elementary School 4

Posted May 01, 2014
Yes the office staff is horrendous, very unfriendly & rude. Orange Hunt School & neighborhood does have a strange vibe. They are either warm, fuzzy & fabulous or extremely unfriendly. I have lived here for several years. We have had mostly great teachers and good experiences with the teachers. I have 1 in German & 1 not in German. I have not experienced the separation of German and not, quite the contrary. My kids have many friends in both programs. Also I have been to only a few of the German events and you do not need to be in the German to enjoy them. Actually most people who state this have never attended a German Event. Try one before you judge. Like any school it has some annoying parents, kids & teachers, I don't think that differs from most schools.

Posted March 20, 2014
We are very happy with the school. Teachers are accessible and creative. We love the German program. What a great opportunity for our children! An additional bonus are some cultural events like the lantern walk for Saint Martin. The office staff, principal and assistant principal have always been friendly and helpful.

Posted October 29, 2013
This is my daughter's first year at OHES. She was in another Fairfax County school for Kindergarten. This has been a great transition! Her teacher has communicated when needed and answered emails within a day. The principal is involved in events and you can tell he has a great relationship with students; he is friendly, positive and supportive. I was worried about being accepted by parents based on previous reviews but I have not experienced this. You just have to get involved where you can. I work full-time and can only volunteer if it is an evening event but everyone has been nice so far. I had no issues with office staff when I was checking on her transfer status. No school is ever going to be perfect, but my daughter is happy and I am happy and I am glad we moved to this school.

Posted October 23, 2013
This is our daughter's first year at Orange Hunt and she is having a fantastic experience. Her teachers are top notch - very warm, bright, and organized. As a former FCPS educator (currently staying at home full time with children) I am extremely impressed by the strength of the academics at Orange Hunt and by the supportive way in which students are challenged to work hard and strive beyond what is required. The communication between the school and home is very regular and detailed. It is also really nice that many of the children/parents stay after school on the playground. Orange Hunt has a terrific sense of community and our experience has been first rate.

Orange Hunt Elementary School 1

Posted October 20, 2013
This school is terrible like other posts have said. The teachers have no attention to detail and do not want parents involved. There is a terrible group of cliquey parents who exclude other parents from participating. A lot of the staff is snobby and talk down to you as a parent. Awful school.

Posted September 20, 2013
We LOVE this school!! There's an old saying, you can't appreciate the good until you've experienced bad. Well, last year at a different school my daughter cried daily and faked sicknesses, she was in kindergarten, because she didn't want to go to school. OHES is a great school! She can't wait to go to school!!! The teachers are excellent and encourage hard work, independence and self worth, invaluable life skills in my opinion. The teachers are loving and understanding but strict, exactly what rambunctious children need. We couldn't be happier!!! The principal was kind and communicative the few times I spoke to him. Some people aren't able to see a great thing because they don't know what a bad school is really like...

Posted April 11, 2013
We've had our children in this school for 3 years and the teachers have been absolutely awesome. Our kids were behind in reading, and they brought them up to standard. Our oldest is now ahead of her grade-level reading. Our son is autistic, and the teachers and intervention staff have been supportive all along. Bullying is not tolerated. The principal and vice-principal make this school a great place for kids. There are numerous opportunities for parents to be involved.

Orange Hunt Elementary School
6820 Sydenstricker Rd, Springfield, VA  22152
Last modified Orange Hunt Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Orange Hunt Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top