Margaret Brent Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 868 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted August 26, 2013

I have been a parent of MBES for the past three years. My oldest has since moved on to middle school. My youngest is going there this fall for kindergarten. Overall the school is good. Much better than the ES we came from in Amelia County. The teachers thusfar have been great. A touch over zealous when it comes to absences for family vacations during the school year or other parent sanctioned appts. But otherwise, all is well within the class room. Now on to the bad stuff (fair and balanced right?)...the front office is horrible. Horrible on the phone, horrible in person. They either seem completely untrained, highly opinionated when approached with a problem or issue, etc. It is so bad, that we avoid the front office as much as possible. When registering my 2nd child in preparation for kindergarten, you would have thought we were bothering them when seeking information or process. Common sense and customer service are rare as I have had this dialogue with other parents that my children are friends with, and my experience is the common experience. Otherwise we are happy with the rest of the school and all it has to offer.

Posted August 19, 2013

We made a middle of the year move to MBES (2nd and 5th grade) from WA state. I couldn't be happier with this school. The staff at MBES were so welcoming and made our move so much easier. Both of my children had a great school year!

Posted December 19, 2012

We have three children currently in MBES. I can not say enough how much we love this school. The teachers are both kind and understanding and very helpful to children who do need that extra help. If I had one complaint it would be the constant flyers coming home from the PTO for fund raisers etc. We live in a very nice area and while many families I am sure have the extra money for these things, there are many families who live pay check to paycheck and it is not fair to those children who can not afford these things. Also there has been more the one occasion where one or more of my children have said they were rushed out of the lunch room and were unable to finish their lunch.

Posted December 12, 2012

I currently have 2 kids at Margaret Brent. We have had great teaches and no so great teachers. This can happen in any school but there is a need for consistentsy. Also there is a real lapse in the communication, both with the office staff and teachers. There is a need for more professionalism. We are also not happy with how the lunch schedule and recess times. Lunch can at times be as late as 1:oopm and recess is not also given. The facility is nice and new but new does not mean better. We had high hopes when we moved but now we have many regrets. Overall our experienced is just okay.

Posted April 6, 2010

We used Great Schools to educate ourselves about this school & focused our home search based on the information here. While we have not been totally disappointed with our choice, there is still a lot to be desired. We have 2 children enrolled, 2nd & 4th grades. The 2nd grade class seems very disorganized & has a lot of distractions... not well controlled. the 4th grade class, while better in those areas, the teacher seems to think she knows it all and doesn't involve parents or have regular communication with them. The office staff... the nurse... the lunchroom staff... counselors...everyone we have contact with has been lacking in some regard...professionalism, attitude, knowledge, organization... we came from a school that was locked on...and this one is definitely not. We are not seeking perfection... just better than this. Still, this is probably one of the better schools in Stafford.

Posted March 10, 2010

Totally awesome school, the teacher are like no other. I have a second and fourth grader attending this school. We moved two years ago and are driving our children there due to the quality, compassion, lovable, dynamic and total generousity of all the teacher. They give our kids every fiber of themselves. This is why MBES will always get my generous donations and support. We just recently had an activity there...Solar System Night by the Teacher of the Year...AWESOME!!! Hands down the best elementary school around.

Posted December 7, 2009

Absolutely wonderful school! The teachers are terrific and really know how to work with the kids. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The school is well designed, with an awesome library, which is very important in my opinion. Just an overall great school!

Posted November 9, 2009

great school.. very helpful teachers and very open and friendly

Posted September 16, 2009

Margaret Brent has wonderful teachers, an amazing library, and is just a very nice school. Plus, the students have scored good test on the Virginia Standards of Learning tests due to the dedication of the teachers and staff.

Posted September 16, 2009

One of my daughters attends Margaret Brent Elementary and really loves the school and the teachers.

Posted January 23, 2008

I have 4 children at MBES and feel incredibly fortunate to have such a caring and professional group of men and women as a part of their lives. These folks work hard to make this introduction to education fun, challenging and nuturing. We have parents that drive from all over the county because of our reputation and while there are of course glitches to any personal experience I cannot say enough how the overall approach from these teachers has enhanced my children's lives. Way to go Bobcats!

Posted January 15, 2008

Although MBES is a strong school academically, I personally believe children need the opportunity for free play, aka recess, for both a physical and mental break. Recess is treated by many of the teachers as something to 'squeeze in' or to take away for disciplinary reasons. Currently, what recess my child does get is not until 3:00 pm! I have had discussions with the teachers with disappointing results. These same teachers also tend to load up the homework. My child has had many nights of 1-2 hours worth of work (even with my help!). The principal has been approached regarding these concerns, but it does not appear to be a priority. The results for me have been two very unhappy 'A' students. I am proud of their accomplishments and what they have learned, but feel something equally important is being ignored.

Posted August 7, 2007

Our experience has been nothing short of outstanding. The administrative staff, teachers and principals are an awesome bunch - always offering a smile and encouragement to every students. This school offers all that parents expect in an institution with the great responsibility of molding our little people into caring and productive citizens with something to offer society. My wife and I are thoroughly impressed by MBES. We tell all of our friends how lucky we are to have our kids attend MBES. Bobcats Rule!

Posted March 18, 2007

My daughter started school this past September, and I have had nothing but great experiences with MBES. The administrative staff is on the ball, goes out of their way to make you feel welcome, and has a wonderful attitude about their students. My daughters teacher has been great. She has keep me informed and encourages my daughter to do her best. I would definitely recommend this school to others.

Posted September 18, 2006

Mbes is great! they welcomed my husband and i,and also my 2 boys with open arms.There goal is to get our little people on the right track for the world around us.I just want to thank all that were involved in my now 6th graders schooling and who is currently teaching my 1st grader.Bobcats rule!

Posted September 5, 2006

This is an unbelievably great school. The level of parent involvement is amazing as is the dedication of the teachers, administrators and other staff to each student in the school. I am thrilled to have three children attending this school and another 'in the wings.' The PTO is very active and very welcoming to new faces. No cliques here! Volunteering for either the PTO or individual classroom teachers is encouraged. The office staff is the most friendly of any school my children have attended previously. I can't say enough great things about this school! There are before and after school enrichment activities that are of such a wide variety that each student should be able to find something to pique his/her interest. How lucky we are to attend Margaret Brent... Bobcats RULE!

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

131 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

146 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Students with disabilities70%
Students without disabilities93%
Proficient in English91%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students71%

Students with disabilities67%
Students without disabilities90%
Proficient in English88%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2125 Mountain View Rd