Potowmack Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 621 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted February 28, 2014

Potowmack Elementary is a wonderful school with great leadership and a caring staff genuinely invested in providing a quality education. My son loves the school staff and activities there. They really focus on incentives, not only for academic achievement, but emphasizing character. The PTA has strong parental involvement and treats the staff very well to show our appreciation.

Posted November 2, 2013

One amazing school with caring and fabulous teachers and parents. We feel so fortunate our child is receiving such a great public education.

Posted February 9, 2013

I have three children currently attending this school and my husband and I say that we lucked out getting to send our kids here. Our kids are not white and I have only volunteered a couple of times in 3 years. And my kids are graded fairly and all of their teachers and the other administrators at their school have gone out of their way for them. My kids have been noticed for doing good deeds and have received awards. This is a great school. My mom is a retired school teacher of another state and she came to visit my kids for lunch and was so impressed with the students, the projects in the hallway and my kids knowledge not just of math and reading and history, but of art and music. And I have noticed that my kids and other kids at this school miss school when they are not there.

Posted August 12, 2012

I attended Potowmack quite awhile ago- I started there in 2nd grade in 1999, and graduated from 5th grade in 2003. It was a wonderful school and the years I spent there were amazing! The only year that wasn't so good was 3rd grade, because I had a pretty bad teacher that year, but all my other teachers were excellent and I learned so much from them. Mrs. Snow, my 4th grade teacher, is the only one of my teachers who is still at Potowmack currently. She was one of the most wonderful and caring teachers I have ever had, so the kids of today are very lucky to still have her there! I also had lots of nice friends and was never bullied by any other kid. The PTA activities were so much fun and my parents and I loved going to them. The drama club was great- I was in it and performed in the play in both 4th and 5th grade. When I look back on my childhood, it puts a smile on my face and I get all nostalgic, and I can definitely say that a lot of it is due to having had the privilege of attending Potowmack Elementary!

Posted June 1, 2011

I am a student at Potowmack Elementary School who is going to enter sixth grade next year. I do not believe that this school is bad in any way. The PTA activities that are organized, such as Bingo Night and Variety Show, are very fun. All students are treated equally and are given the same chance to learn.

Posted August 16, 2010

I am horrified to read the review which labeled this school and teachers as racists! I am parent of one non-white kid studying there for four year now. My child has done extremely well both academically and socially. Apart from an unruly kid case in 1st grade, there have been 0 instances of bullying or mistreatment. There is a great bit of parent volunteering and involvement. However, it's all free labor and to the benefit of all children. Their children might be benefiting a bit in terms of social comfort level in school, however, I do not believe that they get free ride academically. Both my child and I absolutely love this school and the teachers.

Posted May 20, 2010

We have been with this school for 3 years now. It is a great school with very good teachers and an excellent principal. The PTA is excellent too. This school has differentiated instruction from grade 1. Kids dont feel pressured as they are put in groups based on their ability level. They are all made comfortable, so they can do their best. The PTA organizes Chess, Cricket,different language classes, several other sports and craft activities after school, to cater to all the kids. The school offers well rounded education which is what our kids need to do well in life.

Posted May 19, 2010

Potowmack Elementary has been an amazing school for my boys. We've been here for four years. We have had AMAZING teachers every year. I love that each class has levels of learning for each child. The effort the students and parents put in shows in the output of the child's education. The principal does a great job of hiring highly educated, creative, and caring teachers.The PTA is wonderful as well. The activities they provide during and after school are diverse and interesting to not only the students but the parents as well! We HIGHLY recommend this school.

Posted May 18, 2010

This is a racist school where white kids get more attention and recognition. Even if the child is academically way ahead, the teachers will prefer the white kids to non white kids. The other factor that drives the grades and recognition is the parents volunteering a lot. Their kids then , even if they are below grade level get straight As in their report cards. In some classes, the study material provided is much below standards . Overall, I would say.. stay away from this school if you are not white.

Posted November 6, 2006

We have two children in attendance and this is our fifth year at Potowmack Elementary. The quality of academic programs and of the teachers is excellent! The teachers are deeply committed to ensuring that each child is performing to the best of their abilities. All subjects are taught at the specific level of the students - this is done by grouping the students by subject/level. Parent participation is amazing and the community is very involved in the student, teachers, and overall day-to-day activities of the school. Principal involvement and communication via today's technology could be improved upon but does not distract from the overall greatness of the school. The Potowmack PTA is amazing and offers many activities ranging from after-school programs, Bingo nights, International nights and even Bunko! Loudoun County Schools are amongst the highest ranked in the country, and with good reason. I highly recommend this school.

Posted September 19, 2006

This is our fourth year at Potowmack Elementary School and I love it. I have my girl in fifth grade this year and every day she can t wait to go a school. She was like this every single year at Potowmack. The quality of academic programs is very high; there are opportunities for all levels of learning. We have special programs for advance kids and also for kids that need extra help. There are many clubs to join, from art to sport to science and many other areas for the kids to explore. The PTA involvement is very high at our school. We have a waiting list for volunteering if you can imagine. I am very happy to have my girl at Potowmack Elementary and I can recommend this school to all the new parents that consider moving into our beautiful neighborhood.

Posted August 18, 2005

My son has been in the school for the 2nd year now and his kindergarten experience was wonderful.They have very goood teachers and parent involment is super high!The principal,Mrs.Radcliff is GREAT.

Posted August 31, 2004

My child will attend her second year to this school. I can say that I am pleased with this school and with the attention that my child got while in her second grade. I like the fact that each class has four different academic groups of children and the teachers will work individual with every group. Extra curriculum and activities are provided for the children and as a parent I have plenty of opportunities to get involved into my child s day by day activity.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

78 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

98 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students75%

Students without disabilities94%
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in English91%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students73%

Students without disabilities84%
Limited English proficient students43%
Proficient in English87%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

46465 Esterbrook Pkwy