Posted October 27, 2014
My son attends the early education program at Kilby Shores, this is his second year. I strongly agree with the fact the office staff is more than lacking in the organized and friendly department although we have had pretty good experiences with my sons teachers. If you have a child with special needs and are questioning whether or not Kilby Shores is a descent school, I would say YES in this department. My sons teachers the first year fell in love with him and were very involved in his home and school life and we noticed a lot of changes in our sons speech and demeanor (for the better) - same goes for this year. I would not say it is the IDEAL school we would have chosen but I do feel their early education teachers are very good with the children from what we have experienced!

Posted May 23, 2013
I am in the 6th grade at Forest Glen Middle School. I went to Kilby Shores for grades 3-5 and I didn't like the custodians and the lunch ladies. I also didn't like the food there. Let me be the first to say the the food there was terrible.

Kilby Shores Elementary School 1

Posted June 05, 2011
worst school ever!!! Can't wait for my son to go to middle school! They can't care less about their students. They only care about the SOL's

Posted February 06, 2011
Kilby Shores is a Wonderful School! The teachers, staff and administration are great! There are lots of activities for students - the garden and cooking clubs and lots of others clubs, A.R. awards, parent workshops, and the PTA is great! The PTA has talent shows, school yard sales to raise money, and movie nights for families! My kids have received a great education over the past four years!

Kilby Shores Elementary School 2

Posted December 07, 2010
My two daughters attended Kilby Shores for a year and a half. One had great teachers, the other had a nightmare teacher who appears to be protected by the principal. Although my daughter did very well b/c we spent hours reteaching and learning at home, nothing but temporary test prep, wordsearches, worksheets, yelling, and coloring was being done in the 3rd grade classroom....forget about quality teaching and learning. The principal is rarely there or available and did not respond to emails. I am an involved parent with great kids and a teacher myself. I hope that Kilby Shores has a dynamic change in leadership with real teaching and learning (not just test prep) and classroom management skills in the future or it will continue to crumble. We want much more for our children and have chosen to now educate elsewhere.

Posted July 11, 2010
GREAT TEACHERS-GREAT EDUCATION. I will have to disagree with the negative comments about Dr. Oliver. Ever time I come to the school Dr. Oliver is there to greet the students. I personally have had two encounters with her about my children and both times she called me back the same day and returned my emails promptly. Additionally, she followed up with me. Being in the military and transfering quite frequently I know that each school has issues however, Kilby Shore is an excellent school and both of my children love going to school each day. And I think that only is the most important aspect for me. Most people who have negative comments are those parents who have problem children who expect the public school system to fix what they should be fixing at home. This school is also military friendly.

Posted May 28, 2009

Kilby Shores Elementary School 1

Posted February 19, 2009
In an ideal world every child would have caring parents who look out for their best interest at school and home. They would be involved in their child s classroom and have their name known at school. Unfortunately this is not the case for many children today. Not every parent has the luxury of spending time in their child s class. To take time off of work to go back numerous time to work out issues that may or may not be getting addressed the way they should. This is a sad fact but true. My child is one of the lucky ones. I have been able to work in the school, volunteer and be a squeaky wheel. I want Kilby Shores to be a school where every child has the opportunity to excel and their parents don t have to fight tooth and nail to be heard. That is not my idea of what a good school should be. The Administration needs to be aware of what has happened to the reputation of a once great school and take responsibility for the loss.

Kilby Shores Elementary School 4

Posted February 18, 2009
Kilby Shores IS a GREAT school! Look, we all know that there is always room for improvement. If you don't like how something is being done, then do something about it. GET INVOLVED!! If each child had one representative from their home, actively involved in what they were doing at school, things would get better. I had a situation with one of my kids last year, and after bringing it to Dr. Oliver's attention it was handled. She may not always be visible, but she does return phone calls and emails. Our kids will not get everything they need to be educated, productive members of society from school. It starts at HOME! I assure you when they know your name at school, they are going to take your situations seriously. Sure, there is work to do. Are you doing your part to make Kilby Shores the best it can be?

Posted January 15, 2009
Kilby Shores is an excellent school. Many of the teachers have been there for many years. Just like any school however, the parents themselves only get out of it what they put into it. Parental involvement in any school is critical. Dr. Oliver has alwlays been available to address any of my concerns and the teachers my daughters have had have always gone above and beyond to ensure my children reach their highest potential. I have one daughter in 'odysey of the mind' which meets after school. It really challenges her imagination and I am so thankful for the teacher that puts in so much time to offer this to our students.

Kilby Shores Elementary School
111 Kilby Shores Dr, Suffolk, VA  23434
Last modified Kilby Shores Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kilby Shores Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top