Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

If at all possible, I would definitely see if you could observe this school in action for a few days before deciding whether your child(ren) should be at this school. My oldest child has been attending this school for 4 years and my youngest children are first years at this school and while I don't have an option to send them anywhere else, I do honestly believe that our experience is below what I expected. The staff there seems to be hit or miss. While there are some good teachers at this school, who actually care about your child's education and performance, there are equally just as many teachers and staff there that are merely there to collect a paycheck. The principal and office staff are more talk than action. The office staff are quite rude most of the time. There also seems to be a clique mentality between parents and staff that unless you are part of the clique (not necessarily PTA-motivated), that you will see more results than parents who are less involved. When trying to address my oldest child's issues, I have either been told that they will do "everything we can to help" and failed to do so, or we have been told that our child was being overly dramatic and making things up. In one instance, the guidance counselor told me that she would try and address some issues, asked me to come in to talk about them and when I scheduled an appointment with her, she told me she didn't have time to talk, handed me her business card and told me to give it to my child's doctor and have the doctor call her. This was after the teacher said that the school had safeguards in place to make sure that my child would get any supportive educational help that needed to be addressed. Instead, I am dealing with a child who is barely passing their current grade because the teachers say "Every ___ grader struggles and they'll eventually get it." If my child needs additional help, I need to know where we are having issues so that we can address them. I recognize that my children are far from perfect people and will always have skills that need to be worked on, I believe that the majority of the feedback that I have received from this school about my children is that they are "cute" and not what needs to be addressed as far as skills that they are lacking.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Depends on the particular teacher. My oldest child's current teachers treat their classroom like an episode of Survivor. Not only are they trying to compete against a group of other students to earn points for special privileges, they are also competing against each other as individuals.

Amount of homework: Disagree

This depends on the particular teacher. There have been some nights that my oldest child has spent 4+ hours completing homework, as well as having 2-3 tests per week.

Develops character: Disagree

My younger children are first year students at this school and since day one, they have been physically assaulted by another student. While I have addressed this matter with the teacher, the principal as well as the student in question, it continues to happen and all I hear is that they are "on it". I also believe that certain students receive more attention and help than others, not due to medical necessity, but because their parents have developed a more personal relationship with staff and teachers.

My son attends the early education program at Kilby Shores, this is his second year. I strongly agree with the fact the office staff is more than lacking in the organized and friendly department although we have had pretty good experiences with my sons teachers. If you have a child with special needs and are questioning whether or not Kilby Shores is a descent school, I would say YES in this department. My sons teachers the first year fell in love with him and were very involved in his home and school life and we noticed a lot of changes in our sons speech and demeanor (for the better) - same goes for this year. I would not say it is the IDEAL school we would have chosen but I do feel their early education teachers are very good with the children from what we have experienced!

I am in the 6th grade at Forest Glen Middle School. I went to Kilby Shores for grades 3-5 and I didn't like the custodians and the lunch ladies. I also didn't like the food there. Let me be the first to say the the food there was terrible.

KILBY SHORES IS AN AWESOME SCHOOL! Kilby Shores has school clubs for upper grades (some clubs are cooking, gardens, chess), the PTA has been great, the teachers & staff care abt children, grade level programs are off the charts, and scores are really good to! There r lots of chances for parents to get involved

worst school ever!!! Can't wait for my son to go to middle school! They can't care less about their students. They only care about the SOL's

Kilby Shores is a Wonderful School! The teachers, staff and administration are great! There are lots of activities for students - the garden and cooking clubs and lots of others clubs, A.R. awards, parent workshops, and the PTA is great! The PTA has talent shows, school yard sales to raise money, and movie nights for families! My kids have received a great education over the past four years!

My two daughters attended Kilby Shores for a year and a half. One had great teachers, the other had a nightmare teacher who appears to be protected by the principal. Although my daughter did very well b/c we spent hours reteaching and learning at home, nothing but temporary test prep, wordsearches, worksheets, yelling, and coloring was being done in the 3rd grade classroom....forget about quality teaching and learning. The principal is rarely there or available and did not respond to emails. I am an involved parent with great kids and a teacher myself. I hope that Kilby Shores has a dynamic change in leadership with real teaching and learning (not just test prep) and classroom management skills in the future or it will continue to crumble. We want much more for our children and have chosen to now educate elsewhere.

Last modified Kilby Shores Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.