Vienna, VA
After care: No

Posted March 18, 2015
Our family has been incredibly blessed to find Lorien Wood and plant our educational roots there. I have a first grader and a kindergartner and they have both enjoyed it and thrived. I have seen a curiosity arise that wasn't there before, and a deeper love for learning grow. I appreciate the way that faith is integrated into everything, and the intentionality and thought that inspires the curriculum and educational approach. This makes faith in God so much more approachable because they see how it applies to all areas of life. Their days are filled with hands on learning, reading "living" books, and making connections between the disciplines and seeing that all things are for God, by God and in God.

Posted March 07, 2015
I highly recommend Lorien Wood School, where my son has thrived over the past three years. The school s education model that is grounded in a Biblical worldview and incorporates seven distinctives, including an integral curriculum, teaching grounded in classical study and joyful learning, and strong parental involvement, has helped our child develop critical thinking skills, a love of learning, and awareness that he is part of a larger community and ultimately God s world. At Lorien Wood School, the students are given opportunities to develop strong speaking skills even at an early age. During the times I have spent with the students, I ve been impressed with their ability to articulate their thoughts and respectfully speak to faculty and other parents. I really enjoyed and our son has prospered from the partnership among the faculty, staff, parents, and students. My son s teachers have been very accessible, sometimes going above and beyond what I would have expected and the Head of School is involved in teaching the students through Socratic seminars and the opening assembly. I have been blessed by the school and community.

Posted February 19, 2015
My two children have flourished at Lorien Wood over the past 8 years! It has been an outstanding school for both of them. Their love of learning has been stimulated through the Redemptive Education model of teaching that the school uses. They have become confident students because of the encouragement and support that they have received. As a parent and as a family, we have been blessed by the caring and gracious community at Lorien Wood.

Posted February 05, 2015
We've been very happy with Lorien Wood over the past 5 years, since our oldest child entered Kindergarten. We now have a 4th grader, a 2nd grader and a rising Kindergartener. Lorien Wood offers a unique environment of learning and building lasting friendships. It is a small school, with average 15 children per class. Children to think critically and to make connections in everything they see and experience. They ve taken the best of home schooling, Montessori and Classical Education and put it into an integral educational model that helps our children to think critically and engage in contemplative discussion rather than regurgitate facts learned only to pass a test. I also love seeing the entire student body demonstrate their learnings during the quarterly Unit Presentations. Most adults would find this intimidating, but Lorien Wood is cultivating public speakers and critical thinkers from an early age. I also love sitting in on "opening", which is like "chapel" on steroids. Seeing the students engaged in a Socratic method of contemplating God's Word is both powerful and humbling.

Posted November 10, 2014
This is our fourth year at Lorien Wood, and two of our children now attend. We are incredibly thankful for so many aspects of the school and the way the school partners with parents in "helping children explore God's world and discover their place in it." All academic disciplines are explored through a Biblical worldview, and learning is integrated in a thoughtful and purposeful way. Our children are guided to think critically, make connections, and pursue learning with joy and resilience. At home, I see frequent evidence of how they are growing in mind, body and spirit as a result of their school experience. Our children love being a part of the gracious, loving, intellectual community at Lorien Wood and we do too!

Posted October 26, 2014
LW is an affirming school for students, teachers, staff and parents. My boys have learned a lot about God and life. The Watershed year in 6th grade uses creation to help kids understand science, life, math, history, English and so much more. It's been a great place for our family!

Posted October 14, 2014
We have two young elementary aged children in this school. One of the reasons that we specifically chose Lorien Wood is that there is a strong focus in treating each child as an individual. If you visit the school you will see children engaged on very different levels. For example, sometimes you will see children sitting in the hallway doing work where it is a bit quieter, and others will be in the room sitting at group tables, while others are engaged with the teacher. The teachers are very concerned that each child is mastering the subjects and are very responsive to parental inquiries. Both of our children are very excited to go to school every morning, and that speaks volumes. I don't know many places where a Kindergartener understands and articulates that the reason that one of Degas' ballerinas can hold a pose is because her skeleton supports her and her muscles move her legs in the right directions. This is our third year at the school and we couldn't be happier. The Board has a diverse group of seasoned and new members (all are parents) and has been very responsive to any concerns, The website has great information as well.

Posted February 14, 2014
All four of our children have been so richly blessed by their Lorien Wood experience. We, as parents, could not feel more grateful to have parents, teachers, and staff working alongside one another to help equip our children emotionally, spiritually, physically, and intellectually with the tools that they need to explore God's world and to discover their place in it. If you are looking for a rich community of gracious individuals, an academically rich, and rigorous curriculum, and a school where joy is present each day, you should come and visit Lorien Wood.

Posted January 10, 2014
I am amazed at the excitement and energy of teachers at this school. We have had three children attend, including one who has completed the k-8 program and is now thriving in high school. The school engages students in their own learning and the educational program is rigorous while providing teachers the flexibility to pursue areas of learning in an integral fashion. Parents are deeply involved in all aspects of the school providing a richer learning community. The emphasis on worthy topics and thinking produces articulate, engaged learners who are able to productively pursue paths that line up with their gifts. It has been a great place for helping our children to better understand their own capabilities, develop character, learn how to learn, and interact with adults in preparation for stepping into high school and beyond.

Posted October 10, 2013
We have three children that attend Lorien Wood and they are all thriving. Two of my kids arrived hating math and writing and one was struggling in reading. They were lacking in both confidence and motivation. Lorien Wood has built them up to be confident and love learning. They have been stretched and challenged, but not overwhelmed. Lorien Wood accomodates many levels of learners from far above grade level to struggling to stay on grade level. The teachers and principal are excellent and have been great to work with as needed. The community has an above level of warmth and encouragement. Love the school!!!

Lorien Wood School