K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Posted July 31, 2016
We love Lorien Wood. I love that the school actually listens to new research on the importance of minimal homework and a large amount of outdoor time. Our rising second grader LOVES Muddy Mondays where the lower grades do the majority of instruction time in nature! We're looking forward to having all four of our kids experience this unique learning atmosphere.

Posted July 31, 2016
My family loves Lorien Wood. They create an atmosphere where learning is exciting. Through hands on experiments, classical literature, nature studies and much, my children can’t wait to get to school. This year Lorien Wood started a new program called Muddy Mondays. Children are encouraged to explore God’s world and learn subjects such as math and science through nature. Students are constantly encouraged to look at different ways to see things, study things, and come up with their own conclusions. I am confident that this school has set a solid foundation for my children.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 18, 2016
The teachers seek to engage the whole child: mind, body, spirit, as the children learn and grow.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 18, 2016
Homework is very minimal in the lower grades and increases appropriately as the students age. Excessive homework has been proven to negatively, rather than positively, impact a student's progress.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 18, 2016
Character development is one of the pillars, or seven distinctives, of Lorien Wood. The entire community seeks to develop biblical character and manifest the fruit of the Spirit.

Posted July 18, 2016
We are entering our 10th year at Lorien Wood, as eldest just graduated after completing K-8, and our remaining three are in Forms 1, 2, and Watershed (2nd grade, 3rd grade and 6th). We could not be more grateful for the gracious, Christ centered community, for the "big ideas" that our children consider each day, and for the rich educational environment. Cultivating life-long learners is a worthy goal, and Lorien Wood engages students holistically, seeking to train hearts and minds to discover God's world and find their place in it. Learning experientially is a joy-filled adventure for the entire Lorien Wood community of parents, students, teachers and staff.

Posted July 14, 2016
We have just finished our second year at Lorien Wood. Our children completed Kindergarten and second grade. It has been a great fit for our family. The small class sizes encourage relationships amongst the students, teachers and parents. Parents are deeply involved in all areas of the school which provides a rich community and a unique connection to our children's education. Our kids are encouraged to think critically, be engaged learners and explore their God-given gifts while being guided in a Christ-centered environment. Our kids are thriving at Lorien Wood.

Posted November 13, 2015
We are currently in our eighth year at Lorien Wood. We have students in every form except for 6th grade. Lorien Wood has been a great fit for each of our children. We value the Redemptive Education model and appreciate the school Distinctives. We genuinely feel that the school is equipping our children well to love learning and grow in character. The faculty is approachable, available, and enthusiastic. We love having many opportunities to be involved in the life of the school. Parents are truly connected to their children’s education. This year, we have been particularly impressed with the 7th and 8th grade math, science, and humanities programs.

Posted March 18, 2015
Our family has been incredibly blessed to find Lorien Wood and plant our educational roots there. I have a first grader and a kindergartner and they have both enjoyed it and thrived. I have seen a curiosity arise that wasn't there before, and a deeper love for learning grow. I appreciate the way that faith is integrated into everything, and the intentionality and thought that inspires the curriculum and educational approach. This makes faith in God so much more approachable because they see how it applies to all areas of life. Their days are filled with hands on learning, reading "living" books, and making connections between the disciplines and seeing that all things are for God, by God and in God.

Posted March 07, 2015
I highly recommend Lorien Wood School, where my son has thrived over the past three years. The school s education model that is grounded in a Biblical worldview and incorporates seven distinctives, including an integral curriculum, teaching grounded in classical study and joyful learning, and strong parental involvement, has helped our child develop critical thinking skills, a love of learning, and awareness that he is part of a larger community and ultimately God s world. At Lorien Wood School, the students are given opportunities to develop strong speaking skills even at an early age. During the times I have spent with the students, I ve been impressed with their ability to articulate their thoughts and respectfully speak to faculty and other parents. I really enjoyed and our son has prospered from the partnership among the faculty, staff, parents, and students. My son s teachers have been very accessible, sometimes going above and beyond what I would have expected and the Head of School is involved in teaching the students through Socratic seminars and the opening assembly. I have been blessed by the school and community.

8200 Bell Lane, Vienna, VA  22182