Corporate Landing Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1329 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted February 12, 2014

This school is horrible. I ended up having to pull my daughter out near the middle of her 8th grade year because she was being bullied. She came home from school crying every single day. She had a shoe thrown at her in PE so hard that it fractured her shoulder. She was pushed down the stairs. All because she is different (autism). I practically lived at the school trying to get this issue taken care of, but the staff did nothing to help her or stop it. Her grades dropped from A's and B's to C's and F's. She is at OLHS now and is on the honor roll again. I have younger children that are zoned to go to CLMS in a few years and I will do everything in my power to get them into another school or a private school before them.

Posted September 1, 2013

Great school, new and clean. My son with autism attended the program there and did very well.

Posted October 22, 2012

I've had two different experiences here. My (quiet) daughter was a new student and really didn't find her spot the entire 3 years she was there. The classrooms were noisy, and the kids didn't listen to teachers. When I called to express concern, I was told "that's how middle school is; tell her High School will be better". It was - she loves OLHS, but that wasn't the point. On the other hand, my son, much more outgoing, is really enjoying CLMS. I"ve had a lot of contact with his teachers, and they have been in good communication with helping to keep him on track. This is his second year, and he's liked the majority of his teachers both years. LOTS of extra-curricular activities, clubs, etc. I don't like that VA Beach teachers "teach to the test" for SOL's, but that's a whole different matter. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Corporate Landing, but encourage your student to find ways to be involved.

Posted January 13, 2012

I was a student at Corporate Landing Middle School and i went there my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade years. I loved this school and it was full of so many great people. Most of my teachers were nice but i had a couple of problems with some of them. the school is always cleaned and very nice. It is huge and core's are arranged where the classrooms are right next to each other, making it easier to get to class on time. I also went to Princess Anne Middle School the last 3 months of my 8th grade year and I absolutely hated it. The school was full of teachers who could not teach and most of the students were not nice at all. it is too small and classes are spaced out making it hard to get to class. when you walk down the hall you get bumped by everyone walking the opposite direction. it was horrible and i don't recommend sending your kids there. Corporate is the way to go!

Posted December 29, 2009

I went to CLMS for my 6th, 7th and 8th grade year and I can say that my time there was the best and i'll never forget it. My guidance counseler in my 8th grade year was the best i had in all 3 years. The after school activities keep students there striving to do better. Wrestling was the number one sport when I went there and all of my friends on the team would study even during lunch so that they could wrestle. The only problems I had was with my foreign language teachers. I felt that we were rushed with the material because you are being taught on a high school level for a credit and it was overwhelming. in my 8th grade year i had problems with my math teacher, causing me to change cores. but other than that my time at CLMS was unforgetable.

Posted October 5, 2009

The administration,teachers and therapists provide educational opportunities to all students and do their best that no child is left behind

Posted August 17, 2009

I am new to the school, most of my friends are in other classes. But idon't let that get me down. It is good to make new friends and just make this a year that i won't forget. My siblings say that this school has mean teachers and most of them aren't fun but i think that they are nice and fun to be around!

Posted May 21, 2009

Look, I'm a 6th grader here at CLMS. Our school is neat and tidy and its really nice. The food here is really good, and i have not been bullied at all. They teach us alot of things like internet safety and in case there is any bullying whatsoever, how to say no or defend ourselves. Some of the teachers are really nice and funny. I'm in all advanced classes, and my teachers try to help me get by as much as they can. Sometimes I'll get a C or two, but thats because I really don't study. If your kid in advanced is getting lower grades, try to help them study! P.E. is fun and we're currently holding our 'Olympics'. I've made alot of friends so far in the school year, and I absolutely love my school!

Posted December 14, 2008

Compared to all the other schools around here I say this school is top notch! Since the building of the school there has been a few principal changes which is not uncommon in a huge school, the 2nd largest in VaBeach to be exact. We had a great principal while both of my kids were in school and one is still there. They were all advanced students worked hard and when coming to CLMS had no problem staying focused and the teachers were extremely focused on teaching our children to the top. The only thing that I have a problem with is the Spanish teacher that corrects my spanish speaking child this year. She is an American Girl that speaks ok but not fluent and is teaching our children. I don't agree with that. I think they would better support the school with grants for foreign teachers.

Posted May 28, 2008

My son is currently attending CLMS, and is a 6th grader. I have had nothing but problems since he started there. My son was an honor role student up unti now. There are a handful of teachers that seem to genuinely care about the students, but as far as administration and the guidance counselors I find them to be less than qualified to do their jobs. I have gone to several conferences, and they seem to think that as long as he is not failing then there is nothing to worry about. When you have a child capable of producing high marks, why are we content with just a 'passing grade'? Obtaining a D, when a child is capable of earning an A, is unacceptable. He will not be attending CLMS next year, I will make sure of that.

Posted December 4, 2007

I am a 6 th grader right now there! The teachers are awesome and really try hard to make you understand. They hire a professional to do a shakeasphere play every year and its so much fun. Everybodys so nice and not once have I been bullied.

Posted August 7, 2007

I agree with the other parent. My child was also an honor roll student until coming to this school. I also asked for a conference and got no answer. In addition to that my child was constantly bullied and harrassed and the school did not want to get involved. Some of the teachers truly cared about my child but most did not.

Posted May 26, 2007

Corporate Landing Middle is by far the best school in VirginiaBbeach. The teachers try there best in every way to make the childrens lifes easier. They provide tutoring and special attention. They provide good lunch choices and have many learning opportunitys. Towards the end of the year they really crack down and make you study for the sol's. They are always offering parents to come into class to observe the kids. The children at CLMS have electives at which they learn about computers,music,art,life,money,and languages. Me im not a parent im a 7th grader at CLMS. And I say its the best school here :]

Posted February 10, 2007

I agree with another poster, my child was honor roll all the way up to middle school until he started at CLMS. My child is smart, he is in advanced classes. When he started to fail some my requests for a conference fell on deaf ears,I was also asked 'Why?' What do you mean why? I think all of our children are just being pushed thru. just another number.

Posted September 27, 2005

This is our first year in the VBSchool district, we have moved here from California. We are not a military family, but moved here with a job transfer, we have been excited to see the growth in our student since he has arrived @ CLMS. He is a different kid!! Block schedules began this year, and it has been wonderful. The organization for him has been a rough start but with practice he will get the hang of it. Every teacher and staff member is more than willing to help and equip each student and parent with ANYTHING. THANK YOU CLMS for your awesome job of welcoming and making our family feel apart of the great family of CLMS!! GO JETS!! :o)

Posted September 21, 2004

Im a former pupil from Corporate Landing and am a seinor at Ocean Lakes and I credit my teachers for giving me the education that I needed
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 20, 2004

My child was LEFT BEHIND at CLMS. At each sign of negative progress my requests for meetings and conferences were ignored by guidance and teachers. She may have needed the extra help or steerage, but she was just pushed through the system, regardless of her level of learning. As far as I'm concerned, she was just another number at CLMS. She is a smart kid, and did receive some high grades in some classes. Overall she was unmotivated by her teachers and her classmates. Extracurricular activities are cliquish. New, or novice participants are not actively sought. Virginia Beach is a high in military families, so a large amount of children are always moving in and out of the system. Therefore in my opinion, there is a lack of familiarity or social contact between students, families and school staff.

Posted April 6, 2004

I have gone to CLMS since the 6th grade. I have had honor roll the entire time I have attended CLMS. I know they have had 1 new principal and two new assistant principals during my attendance, but I have also notice that it didn't effect me or my grades, at all. Each child is encouraged to do their best, and the student comes first. They have a wonderful music program and great advanced classes!I myself am in advanced english and I have a 97/A!

Posted August 26, 2003

This school has had four different principals in the last seven years and seven different assistant principals. The leadership keeps changing and along with it the mood of the school changes. Although for the most part the teachers seem to maintian high standards for their students. There are lots of clubs and generally I liked the quality of education my daughter recieved. She made it into three academies and was on the honor roll her entire stay. She seems really prepared for the challenge of high school.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 74% in 2013.

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 86% in 2012.

14 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 78% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 75% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

12 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 71% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 70% in 2013.

411 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 88% in 2012.

13 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2013.

267 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

Students with disabilities51%
Students without disabilities67%
Proficient in English63%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students75%

Students with disabilities51%
Students without disabilities87%
Proficient in English82%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 76% in 2013.

322 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 76% in 2013.

148 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) End-of-Course tests to assess students in reading, writing, math, science and history/social science subjects at the end of each course, regardless of the student's grade level. The SOL End-of-Course tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. High school students must pass at least six SOL End-of-Course tests to graduate. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

Algebra I

Students with disabilitiesn/a
Students without disabilities82%
Proficient in English82%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• Dr. Daniel W. Smith
Fax number
  • (757) 437-6487

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options