Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Homework is not just for the sake of doing. It has value and purpose but is not overwhelming.

My child has just finished the first quarter of 6th grade at LMS. I am pleasantly pleased with the quality of teachers, after school enrichment opportunities/clubs and the administration. The transition from elementary school to middle has been pretty seamless. As a parent, I am relieved to NOT hear stories of out right bullying or "bad kids." Of course kids are kids, so I am sure there are cliques and groups and not everyone is "nice" however my child has not come home talking negatively about any kids, and actually, I hear quite a few good things going on about kids being caring and helpful towards one another. During the summer, 8th grade leaders put together a mock day program for rising 6th graders, which was a fantastic event to help quell the nerves of the kids and since school has started, they have maintained friendships with the kids, which I think is fantastic! Leading by example! As a parent, I also have been pleased with the communication from the teachers. It is not elementary school, I do not have the same kind of relationships with the teachers...however when I have had questions, I have had near immediate response from them and am confident that my child is not being "forgotten" in class. My child has thrived in the classes, been challenged and when needed a touch more help, the teachers have been there. I can say nothing but positive things about our experience at LMS, straight up the pole to the administration. Every interaction with Dr. Hoyle has been pleasant and I have personally witnessed her in the lunchroom with the kids and I have been impressed with her interaction with them. She is in there with them everyday. Lunch looks like a fun place to be and while the kids mostly sit with their homeroom class, they do earn freedom Fridays and opportunities to mix it up and sit as they chose. Dr. Hoyle has a committee of kids throughout each grade level to speak on behalf of the "student voice" and they propose new ideas/ways of doing some things. Again, I think that is such a great example of leading by example. My child is happy...I hear good and similar things from other parents currently at LMS...and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Pretty much a zero tolerance stance to bullying. We have not encountered any problems.

Supports LD students: Neutral

I cannot speak to this as my child is a fairly mainstream learner.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Dr. Hoyle is as interested in raising up strong academic students as she is helping develop strong personal character traits.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

All the teachers I have encountered in 6th grade have been wonderful. On par with the best teachers my child has had. I was not expecting to like the teaching style of 4 different teachers, nor have my child like each teacher but I have been pleasantly pleased that we both like them all. My child's grades reflect that.

Having two kids who both went through Lynnhaven with vastly different experiences gives me mixed feelings about this school. My son was in advanced classes and had a very good experience for the most part. My daughter, on the other hand, had an awful time at LMS. Big difference between the kids in advanced and the kids in core. Not thrilled with some of her teachers, who seemed to see her learning disability as an inconvenience and treated her as such. Some, however, were good advocates for her. I don't think the "trouble" kids were given the discipline they deserved and they were very disruptive to the kids who actually wanted (and possibly struggled) to learn. My daughter flat out refused to go to First Colonial because she couldn't bear the idea of being around those same kids. I know middle school kids can be a difficult bunch by nature but feel if discipline were better and more consistent at LMS, it would not be as bad.

Not pleased with the administration. Guidance, Mr. Oberlander, is unavailable in times of crisis and class scheduling. The principal, Dr Hoyle, is unapproachable, unpleasant, and condescending. I don't expect warm and fuzzy from her but I do expect respect when I am attentive to the needs of my child and his teachers. Teachers are not responding to time sensitive emails. Nurse assistant is unpleasant and difficult to work with for both parents and students. The RN is approachable and understanding. Zero problems in elementary school and now it seems like nothing but problems. Looking forward to having both of my children in high school!!!

It's a great school I loved going there for 6th grade but in 7th grade there was a new principle and it was very poor at that point. She had the teachers walk the kids in single file lines like we were in elementary school! I am kind of glad I moved and am not going to this school. I felt that if I did I wouldn't be prepared for high school at all if I continues here if the principle didn't change her ways which I doubt she wil. I doubt she even cared about the students.

My daughter has been going to this school for 1.5 years and is about to move on tonhigh school. My opinion of this school is not a good one. There are always fights, like a ridulous amount. The principal seems to not care about the students at all. At one of the sports awards nights. She spoke a minute and when she was done she pointed to her watch, looked at the athletic director and left. She did that two out of the three times in one year at the sports awards. At the city finals track meet, she left before it was.over when the girls team had already had an undefeated season and also took 1st place in the city championships. There was no plaque made with the girls name on it, no big sigh hung in the gym . NOTHING was donr for all of thier hard work. She is also the type of person that tries to speak articulated to make herself sound smart, when actually it sounds like she is make up words that no one had heard of. If I was given a choice my daughter would not have gone to this school

Last modified Lynnhaven Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.