Bad
Good

Posted January 15, 2016
Having two kids who both went through Lynnhaven with vastly different experiences gives me mixed feelings about this school. My son was in advanced classes and had a very good experience for the most part. My daughter, on the other hand, had an awful time at LMS. Big difference between the kids in advanced and the kids in core. Not thrilled with some of her teachers, who seemed to see her learning disability as an inconvenience and treated her as such. Some, however, were good advocates for her. I don't think the "trouble" kids were given the discipline they deserved and they were very disruptive to the kids who actually wanted (and possibly struggled) to learn. My daughter flat out refused to go to First Colonial because she couldn't bear the idea of being around those same kids. I know middle school kids can be a difficult bunch by nature but feel if discipline were better and more consistent at LMS, it would not be as bad.

Posted February 03, 2015
Not pleased with the administration. Guidance, Mr. Oberlander, is unavailable in times of crisis and class scheduling. The principal, Dr Hoyle, is unapproachable, unpleasant, and condescending. I don't expect warm and fuzzy from her but I do expect respect when I am attentive to the needs of my child and his teachers. Teachers are not responding to time sensitive emails. Nurse assistant is unpleasant and difficult to work with for both parents and students. The RN is approachable and understanding. Zero problems in elementary school and now it seems like nothing but problems. Looking forward to having both of my children in high school!!!

Posted August 11, 2014
It's a great school I loved going there for 6th grade but in 7th grade there was a new principle and it was very poor at that point. She had the teachers walk the kids in single file lines like we were in elementary school! I am kind of glad I moved and am not going to this school. I felt that if I did I wouldn't be prepared for high school at all if I continues here if the principle didn't change her ways which I doubt she wil. I doubt she even cared about the students.

Posted June 10, 2014
My daughter has been going to this school for 1.5 years and is about to move on tonhigh school. My opinion of this school is not a good one. There are always fights, like a ridulous amount. The principal seems to not care about the students at all. At one of the sports awards nights. She spoke a minute and when she was done she pointed to her watch, looked at the athletic director and left. She did that two out of the three times in one year at the sports awards. At the city finals track meet, she left before it was.over when the girls team had already had an undefeated season and also took 1st place in the city championships. There was no plaque made with the girls name on it, no big sigh hung in the gym . NOTHING was donr for all of thier hard work. She is also the type of person that tries to speak articulated to make herself sound smart, when actually it sounds like she is make up words that no one had heard of. If I was given a choice my daughter would not have gone to this school

Lynnhaven Middle School 4

Posted June 06, 2014
My child loved going to Lynnhaven!! The teachers are caring and my child really enjoyed school here. The only negative is that the teacher/parent communication is lacking. I really wish the teachers would send out a weekly email with assignments. I think this would help my child be more organized and help parents be more involved.

Posted June 05, 2014
Not too pleased with this school. My oldest child entered 6th grade this year. The parent-teacher communication is lacking. It has been hard going from such an awesome elementary school to this middle school.

Lynnhaven Middle School 1

Posted May 22, 2014
This school was ok for my 6th and 7th grade year but my eighth grade year it went downhill. Most of the teachers are amazing at this school and they are blessed to have them. The administration has a prison-like approach to working with kids. For example, in eighth grade, the new principal started having the teachers walk the kids single file down to lunch. These are kids that are supposed to be getting ready for high school! After school activities are the worst. The groups that kids try out for select only a few people each and the same people get into all of them. The school does not recognize how many amazing people attend the school. Also the blocks (classes) are about two hours and you learn the entire time with no breaks. The lack of school spirit is amazing at this school. Almost everyone seems to hate coming. As a student I am surprised how low down a school can go in a matter of months. I hope that most will have a better experience than I have had at Lynnhaven Middle School. I usually don't write reviews but this school has made my 8th grade year horrible and I dearly hope some changes will be made at this school.

Lynnhaven Middle School 1

Posted May 07, 2014
Worst school ever. Do not send your child here. A staff member physically abused my child and is still there!

Lynnhaven Middle School 5

Posted January 21, 2014
LMS has great teachers, massive parental involvement and is safe. Students are well prepared for high school!

Posted May 06, 2013
Lynnhaven middle is a good school with very kind teachers that are very nice and helpful. I have been there for 3 years and I am about to finish the 8th grade. This is a good school but the only bad thing is all of the drama and the fighting . About a month ago there was 5 fights in one day. I saw all of them and there were about 8 kids that were in OSS

Lynnhaven Middle School
1250 Bayne Dr, Virginia Beach, VA  23454
Last modified Lynnhaven Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lynnhaven Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top