No rating

Virginia Beach Friends School

Private | PK-12 | 141 students

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Virginia Beach

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $302,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted October 21, 2007

I am surprised by some of what I have read here. We have children in a couple of divisions at the school and have never had a problem with communication or unfriendly administrators. As for communication, Insights and Updates is emailed every two weeks and is full of information about what is going on at the school. The turnover has been quite minimal since we have been there so I found the comment about teacher turnover very confusing. My children are happy and we are pleased with the academic program. If you are thinking about attending VBFS, I would recommend a visit--then you can make up your own mind.

Posted July 5, 2007

My two boys started at VBFS at age 3. The Lower School program was a wonderful experience for both of my children. However, the leadership of the school changed about 4 years ago and with the change the sense of 'community' that once defined Friends School completely declined. I have chosen to remove both of my sons and put them in a larger private school. Thankfully, my sons were able to experience some awesome teachers.

Posted April 25, 2007

We are new to the area and enrolled our children a different private school last year. After we had been there a year, we realized the Friends School would be a much better fit for our kids. Since enrolling them in August we have seen a great improvement in their intellectual curiosity, their love of school, and most importantly, a strengthening moral compass. All of these were lacking in the other school. We have been very impressed with the Friends philosophy, academic rigor and sense of community. We are already looking forward to next year!

Posted March 9, 2007

Community, Harmony, Equality, Simplicity. These are the four basic values on which VBFS was built and the values that they strive to instill in each of their students. These are things that cannot be taught from books but taught instead by fostering a sense of respect for themselves, others and their world. In addition, Friend's provides a top-notch academic curriculum which challenges each child and the Administration provides our kids with truly gifted teachers who work hard each day to help each child reach their full potential. We are in our 7th year at VBFS. My children LOVE the school and look forward to each new day and challenge. They are growing and learning and achieving in ways that every parent hopes for their children. I know they will be better adults having had this experience and we are grateful every day that this safe haven exists within our community.

Posted March 1, 2007

A great school with a superb academic program. As a product of a Friends experience from preK through college, I can safely say that Virginia Beach Friends School is right on track with Quaker principles of education and bringing out the best in every student. My child has been through the Cottage, Kindergarten and is now in first grade at this school and has blossomed. As I can speak for the lower school, the program is well balanced and creative with weekly specialized classes in art/pottery, music, Spanish, library and physical education as well as frequent field trips oriented to educational and community outreach. The Virginia Beach Friends school community of families is small but diverse and expanding. Many of the parents are strongly involved in the school and are instrumental to its success -- a true community atmosphere.

Posted February 28, 2007

friends school is a great place with the exception of the poor leadership from the top. The outside activities are lacking, the school is between two projects which have had incidents with the safety of the children and the PE department is lacking. The lower school is great but the middle and the upper is lacking. We will not be returning next year

Posted January 17, 2007

My children have attended for several years and I am very pleased with the individual attention and the quality of the faculty. The lower and middle school programs are strong and the middle school curriculum is presented in a way that is perfect for my son. I m not sure if I ll keep my kids there through high school because they might want a bigger school, but I like the increased academic rigor and discipline standards the Headmaster has put in place in the high school. I can t speak for other parents, but I think the Headmaster is very open to parent concerns. I ve attended a few of his monthly coffee with parents and find him open and easy to talk to. Maybe he had a bad August 2006? All in all, I think it s a great little school!

Posted January 2, 2007

This school is a fresh breath in the learning world. The teachers are wonderful and caring. The kids love the school and their teachers. Kids are treated with kindness and respect .Te school give a very safe space for kids to grow into successful adults. Friends School is all about the children. Liz Hobbs

Posted October 1, 2006

The Pre-School Cottage Program is EXCEPTIONAL. Developmentally appropriate activities, well experienced staff that implement Quaker ideals. Lower school experience was adequate. Quaker ideals still in place. The school seems to be trying to find a new indentity and the new path does not see based on Quaker ideals. Many lower school teachers there are quality teachers and are about kids. The school needs and expects a great deal parent support and money beyond tuition for daily activities. Parents often drive for field trips and appropriate car safety is not practiced.Teacher pay is poor. Many children in classes have learning and behavior problems and teacher to student ratio is not really as low as they claim. Can go as high as 18-1 in lower school. Good music program.

Posted September 12, 2006

Fantastic school experience so far (Early, Lower and Middle Schools). Friends fosters a warm, caring community that respects each individual. There is great mutual respect b/w teachers and students, and respect for all peoples and cultures is emphasized. Your child can soar and not be stuck in a grade-level curriculum. The administration has been very accommodating--my son in Middle School went ahead in math and languages with great results. Middle School curriculum is thematically-based and is just awesome--my son didn't want the year to end last year! Yes, it's a small school so extracurriculars are obviously limited and the physical plant isn't what you'd have at the Megabucks private schools in the area, but my kids and I love it. We're looking forward to the HS experience.

Posted August 20, 2006

Lower/school is worth the $$$$. Middle/Upper consider area/public schools. School is about needing $$$$$ & census. New building went to administration/Library instead of brokentrailer Middle School uses. Principal delagates instead of addressing serious issues/spending. Parents shuttle fieldtrips&sports. No lunch facilities, brownbag/huge teacherslounge should be newclassroom instead of studentrailor. Costly to attend/compared to other private schools. School has broken down bus, demand parent transport. Need diversity, so paying parents support diversity unfair to full tuition parents.

Posted August 20, 2006

Friends is a good lower school, however the upper is lacking direction. The school does not offer a lot of outside activities, the sports have a lot to be desired with poor direction. The Principle lack leader ship- pass the buck. The lower school is a real value. Close attention to development and well run. The middle school has teachers that are very closed minded. The school does have a family atmosphere, but the parent involvement is low.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • (757) 428-7511

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious