Virginia Beach, VA

Posted March 16, 2015
We love Courthouse Academy. Our daughter has been at the school for 4 years & are very pleased at how she has progressed academically & socially. In Kindergarten she was reading on her own by December of that school year, she is in 1st grade & is reading at almost a 3rd grade level. We have loved her teachers & they've all been very helpful & professional. Her kindergarten teacher has been teaching for 18+ years & her 1st grade teachers both have Bachelor degrees. She is in a Spanish immersion class & loves learning a second language. We are impressed at how well she is writing & spelling. Class sizes are small so she gets more time with the teacher. Her teachers have always encouraged learning & created an excitement for it in class and home. We return to Courthouse Academy year after year because of the caring environment. The front office is kind, caring, accommodating & they know every child. My child isn't just a name in a class room, they know her & how she is doing in class. They make time to talk with the children & are greeted at the door everyday. We are glad that we found such a great school for our daughter to attend in her formative years of grade school.

Posted February 19, 2015
I originally loved Courthouse Academy and know they were working towards teacher/child interactions; however, the new front office staff is rude, on their cellphones, gossiping and unhelpful to the teachers and parents. Several of the teachers use very negative tones and language, are not trained in the proper development of the children within their care and they send home progress reports that are not age appropriate. Finally, the biggest issue I have noticed is that on several occasions the classrooms are not within ration. This school is again all about the big classroom sizes to funnel in money instead of the enrichment of the children as they claim. My child will not be going back after the school year.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 29, 2015
Being involved for this school for 2 years I have realized the "behind the scenes" attitude towards the facility. Front offices are very unwelcoming. Most "teachers" do not have their degrees. This school is all about the money and not the children unfortunately.
7 people found this helpful

Posted December 10, 2014
We made the right choice by keeping our child at Courthouse Academy thru Kindergarten. She is now in public school attending first grade where she is above grade level on everything academically. The administrators as well as her teacher have asked where she attended Kindergarten and I am proud to say Courthouse Academy.

Posted September 23, 2014
I am so glad I got my child out of there!!! While I thought Courthouse Academy was going to be great for my child, I find out they let my son cry all day and absolutely NO parent / teacher communication on their part. We would have never known he was crying all day until I asked. The front staff and director aren't organized at all. Everytime that I took my child in, the front desk was ALWAYS on the cellphone. She didnt even make sure that kids were signed in - very unprofessional. I would NEVER recommend Courthouse Academy to any parent.
4 people found this helpful

Posted September 23, 2014
I don't normally write reviews, but this place has bona above and beyond. After countless tours of different schools, my family and I finally decided on Courthouse. When touring, the front desk was extremely helpful and answered any questions I had, and when I came back with my husband, we spoke to the director who was extremely knowledgeable. My child has been there 3 weeks and loves it - he actually cries when he has to leave! He loves getting Spanish, Music and Computers weekly, as well as fun "extras" like Soccer Shots! It is like a family there, I am always greeted and asked if I need any help. The front office is extremely attentive, I have seen them monitor who enters the building, and ID people they don't recognize to make sure they are authorized to pick up children - I feel better knowing they have such security in place. No place will suit everyone, but I am happy I gave this place a chance. The school is huge - there are going to be unhappy families regardless of if it's a public or private school. Give the school a chance, we were apprehensive, but I am so glad we gave it a chance! We love it so far and cannot wait for what the school year holds!
2 people found this helpful

Posted September 19, 2014
I have 2 children that attend courthouse academy, one in the nursery and one in 2nd grade. I have nothing but great things to say about the programs, teachers and staff. My oldest struggled with behavior but excelled intellectually and Ms. Julie ( the director) went above and beyond to help him. The Spanish immersion program is amazing as well, I've never seen anything like it. I'll be sad to see my oldest leave next year but I'm excited for my little guy and the awesome experience he'll have. Keep up the great work courthouse!

Posted September 03, 2014
I agree with most of the comments with regards to the front end staff, price increases, and board of directors. While my child did well (we did a lot of teaching and extra work at home), I'm happy that we made the right decision to pull our child out and send to public school.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 26, 2014
My 2 children have attended Courthouse Academy starting in 2010 to the present. I would not recommend this school! In the recent years, it has changed for the worse! Our early experiences were it was a school that felt warm and inviting and very child centered. It now has lost that feeling and seems more about money than the kids at all! Their curriculum is lacking (I know of several families who's children entered public schools In our area behind academically and were told CHA has the reputation by TEACHERS!) They also did do away with the enrichments like computer, music and Spanish for the younger children although they sell that as a perk when paying their high tuition. Lastly, the administration and office staff is rude and incompetent! I would not recommend this school and my children will NOT go back! I'm sorry I didn't withdraw them sooner!
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 13, 2014
My name is Kym Pomares; I am the Founder & President of Courthouse Academy. Thank you for your reviews. Here are my responses to 2. *I agree it was unfortunate that a small increase in tuition was necessary after school began last year; fortunately it has only happened twice in 22 yrs. *Enrichment classes are available as always. *For over 20 yrs, the children s best interest is always my number one concern! My practice of improving early childhood education is ongoing. *I encourage families to discuss concerns with the director; every effort is made to resolve any issues that arise. *I'm always sad to hear a family is leaving. I would prefer to see them stay, but in reality there is no school that is the perfect fit for all families. *I apologize to the parent who believes she was treated poorly. I really am surprised! I'm proud of the staff at the front. They work hard so the school can be the best school possible. Happily not many people have had a bad experience because enrollment is up! *When choosing a school, tuition is only one factor to consider. Regardless of where you choose to send your child, my wish is that you find the very best fit for you and your family.

Courthouse Academy