Waynesboro, VA

Fishburne Military School 1

Posted December 23, 2014
I attended FMS for 5 years because of poor grades . While I had "fixed" my grades problem, it wasn't because of a better teaching style or increased time studying. It was because of how ridiculously easy the classes were. I put forth maybe 5 minutes of effort to get the homework done before i walked into class and then another five to do the classwork. Then even if you didn't turn in the classwork the teachers are all very lenient about accepting late work for almost full credit. I literally hadn't turned in a paper for almost 2 weeks after it was due, with no reasonable excuse and I received a good mark on the paper. While the school does have mandatory study hall for 2 hours a night, most of the time cadets would use the time to simply mess around on the internet or play games. Now, In college I find that I am having a ridiculous amount of trouble keeping up, where my peers are breezing by. The school did not set a good basis for entering college. I know several of my old classmates have similar problems. This is just a short review about the academic side of FMS. That being said, if you believe that your son JUST needs the grades, it wouldn't be a bad choice of schools.

Posted November 12, 2014
Fishburne is an amazing school that changed my life. I was struggling when I arrived in 96 and the school was a pivotal in my turn around. Raised by a single Mom, she noticed the lack of motivation and direction in my life a decided to sign me up. It was a dramatic change from NY and the change of pace I needed to get my head straight. Today, I have a Masters Degree and would definitely say that Fishburne was the beginning of my success, empowering me to face life's challeges.

Posted October 07, 2014
I went from low grades, to Fishburne, to my first choice college. FMS specializes in educating boys and turning them into men. There's a growing academic consensus that that young men were never supposed to be strapped into chairs for 9 hours a day, and that modern schooling neglects the special needs of energetic adolescent boys. FMS gets this. The daily schedule is packed with sports, drill & ceremony, and military extra-curricular activities like the Raiders program, drill team, and rifle team. Instead of telling cadets to "sit still, shut up, and take your medicine," FMS builds their talents. Teachers are first rate. Many professors are veterans of the US military. FMS is also backed by a very strong cadre of Noncommissioned Officers who guide and mentor their cadets. Fishburne was one of the few schools to survive a rash of closures during the Vietnam War, including the nearby Stanton Military Academy and Augusta Military Academy. That's testament to both the commitment of its alumni and the strength of the institution. With the economic downturn, many Virginia boarding schools are struggling. Fishburne is at capacity. There's a good reason for that. 5/5, recommend.

Posted October 07, 2014
Fishburne is academically excellent. The faculty and staff are genuinely caring and strive to foster achievement in the young men entrusted to their care. The history of the institution speaks for itself. Sending a young man to Fishburne is an excellent investment in his future.

Posted October 07, 2014
As a young man I was a classic underachiever and misguided teen. I decided I wanted to attend a military school. After looking at numerous other institutions, I decided FMS was the best fit. What was that impression which harkened me to FMS; the fact the cadet corps was so close, and the school was small. With a student teacher ratio of around 8:1, I was given individualized attention which I could not have gotten elsewhere. The professors ALL made sure you as an individual were taken care of. Before FMS I was a C/D student. After FMS, my grades rose into the high B/A. I can only attribute this to the individualized care I was afforded while at FMS. The school taught me self confidence, character and good moral understanding of what it means to be a citizen. As with all teenage boys, I was a malcontent, but learned discipline and responsibility during my time at FMS. I was given a sense of pride and honor, which I carry with me to this day. If I had not gone to FMS, I doubt my academic career would have gone very far. With 100% college acceptance, I went to The Citadel in 1989. With acceptance rates like that, the system works!

Posted October 07, 2014
Without Fishburne, I would not have graduated from high school on time, if at all. I went on to the college I wanted to attend going in to Fishburne. My Fishburne education and alumni friends have continued to help me since graduation. A fellow alum wrote me a recommendation directly to the dean of a law school who happened to be a friend of his. I was accepted and attended that law school. In sum, stellar whole man education and lifelong friendships.

Posted October 07, 2014
My experience at Fishburne Military School was exceptional. For the first time in my life, a true sense of purpose, matched by a keen sense of character, discipline, achievement and success, were bestowed before me. FMS remains from age old a Mecca for education and outstanding achievements. I am forever grateful to the hours of individual attention and dedication, which were given to me. One of my biggest wish would be to see others of future generations acquire a similar and successful experience as mine. I stand today filled with esteemed gratitude to a school, which came into my life to make me be today, one of the best members of society. Thank you FMS, as you are my "Alma Mater" and an hymn for success stories to last forever.

Posted April 01, 2014
Love that I can go on and see the grades in different subjects. I think every school should have that.

Posted April 01, 2014
The staff is very easy to contact and where extremely helpful during the admission process. Being able to check a student s grades immediately instead of waiting months for a progress report actually makes you feel like you have a grip on what s going on. My only issue so far is that I wish it was closer to different things. I think they should get a van to be able to pick up people so they could visit easier or pick up the children on breaks.

Fishburne Military School 1

Posted March 25, 2014
The school is disgusting in every sense. They make us clean only when people come to visit the school

Fishburne Military School
255 South Wayne Avenue, Waynesboro, VA  22980
Last modified Fishburne Military School is a Private school that serves grades 7-12
Fishburne Military School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top