Woodbridge, VA
Students enrolled: 2,237

Posted August 06, 2014
I went to Hylton this past school year 2013-2014. I went for my freshman year and I was in the CISL program. The idea of the CISL program is great, but the expectations are ridiculous. I knew a lot of kids who ended up dropping out of it because they couldn't maintain good enough grades to stay in the program. I however didn't drop out because I like a challenge but I ended up having a breakdown because at one point my grades were terrible. I took all Pre AP classes, a language class, and one elective. Mind you, I used to be a straight A student but last year ended up having Cs, Ds, and even an F on my last quarter grade. Most of my teachers were great, but there is always that one teacher that's like the devil. Also, most of the teachers don't update their fusion pages as much as they say they do, which makes it hard to know what assignments are supposed to be done. As long as you mind your business you won't have any drama or problems with any of the students. There is a lot of favoritism between some students and the teachers. Other than that its a pretty good school. The class sizes are huge and last year a lot of classes ended up in the trailers.

C.D. Hylton High School 4

Posted June 22, 2014
I wrote a review earlier this year as a parent with a student who just finished the 9th grade this past June. Here are my thoughts: 1. I don't understand the homework policy for the PreAP classes. Seems to me they cram a bunch of things in and do not tailor to student learning styles. I understand each student should work hard but boring them to death is not the answer either. 2. The online parent portal is not updated as often as it should be. I shouldn't have to hunt down a teacher for days/weeks to get answers about my student's true grade. Makes it really hard to keep up with progress. Kids forget all the time right? I'm here to support and help. 3. I would appreciate more consistency with the weighting of grades. It makes no sense to assign 20 classwork and homework assignments worth .5 pts but an exam is worth 3xs the grade. What I've found is even though the weight is low, a NHI is still detrimental to the grade. How is that possible? Overall I did have some challenges however the counselor was awesome and always stepped in when I needed her. The SOL reviews on Saturdays and daily in April were great as well. I do believe the teachers cared.

Posted January 21, 2014
Putting my third and final child through Hylton at the moment, teachers are amazing and my son is a straight A student so this is not some parent who's child is having issues. Completely disappointed with the administration, so very sad that all they are concerned about is their athletics dept.. If your child plays sports and is considered good than this is the school for them. As long as they can help bring in the price of a ticket at the door then your child will do fine and be aided in whatever they choose to do. The decline has only happened in the last several years, good luck to all who have to attend this school.

Posted November 08, 2013
They aren't as good as they say they are. They don't care about their students but their reputation. They don't care if their students are suffering from mental illnesses. If a student makes one mistake they are thrown out like trash. They don't clearly state information and lie over and over. I am a student at Hylton and I'm not trying to say its a bad school but it's not doing what it's suppose to do. They're trying to take out students who deserve to stay and keeping kids who are a actual threat.

C.D. Hylton High School 1

Posted October 21, 2013
Family has been attending Hylton for the past 10 years, unfortunately it keeps getting worse (as you can see by the other ratings). I would always say it used to be the best school in PWC hands down. The principal is not supportive nor does he have the students best interest in mind, the same goes for the counselor (s). If a parent and student know what is best and where they want their education to go, why would that not be supported? The Atheletics Department coaches pick who they want for their teams, not who is better for the team. (this is the norm; however, unfortunate). My problem is be consistent with each student, you can't do for one and not the other. Parents talk!

C.D. Hylton High School 1

Posted September 24, 2013
Used to be a very good High School - has gone downhill ever since the new principal started. Questionable activity in classrooms (recent case of several students being caught with substances and learning the use had occurred all throughout the year).

Posted May 10, 2013
TV production and the CISL program are real draws. The new principal is slow in making impact and leadership. Mrs Custard made connections with the students and parents and this school is not what it was under her watch. Class sizes are large and classroom management in regular classes is often poor. There are pockets of outstanding teachers. Certainly one of the better schools in eastern PWC but still has room to improve.

Posted November 18, 2012
The school is huge and being a public school, they have to educate ALL the kids. As you'd guess, that means that regular classes are full of not so motivated kids with all kinds of issues. Class sizes are often over 30 and the teachers, while trying, have to teach to the lowest level. If your child is average or above, you will need to fight to get them in the right classes. Don't buy the mantra that Virginia schools are top in the nation, because as you know, there is more to school quality than testing. Just keep fighting. A kid could get a good education at this school, but only if their parents are paying attention.

C.D. Hylton High School 5

Posted August 12, 2012
C D Hylton is an excellent school. Our rising junior has had 16 great teachers to include the gifted program. She has learned so much I. Academis, clubs and sports from great teachers and coaches. The front office has the friendliest staff that are very professional. It is the most diverse school in PWC which enhances her culturally. CISL, Chorus, MUN, AFJROTC are some of the many greats of the school. The new principal gave a truly inspiring speech at this year's graduation. Great school which deserves a much higher rating.

Posted June 12, 2012
My child just graduated from Hylton. I do not like the new principal and was disappointed that the previous principal that my child had from 9th thru 11th grade was not there for graduation. There is one administrator who I think is very unprofessional. Also, there are many staff members who show favoritism. The staff should treat each student equally. Hylton needs alot of improvement.

C.D. Hylton High School
14051 Spriggs Rd, Woodbridge, VA  22193
Last modified C.D. Hylton High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
C.D. Hylton High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top