Old Bridge Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 698 students

Student diversity

Sweep tile

Posted August 17, 2013

LOVE this school. I have 3 kids who attend and couldn't be happier! The teachers are great, the principle is great and I love the PTO!

Posted March 26, 2013

Excellent! We couldn't be happier. The facilities are nice and the staff is exceptional. Parent involvement is high. The PTO is very active in supporting functions, field trips, and technology for the students. We have two children attending, and it has been a joy watching them learn and mature. I highly recommend OBE.

Posted January 4, 2013

WE LOVE THIS SCHOOL!!! This is absolutely a school of excellence!! Both of my children go here and love it! The teachers, Principal, and staff are amazing, helpful and VERY involved. I have absolutely no complaints what so ever about this school, we love it here! There is a zero tolerance for bullying and I feel very safe knowing my children are in great hands here. I highly recommend this school to anyone considering moving to this school district! They go above and beyond at OBE!

Posted November 15, 2011

My children (grades 2&5) are in their second year at OBES & love every moment of it. My youngest, most especially was not one of those kids that found school very appealing. I am thrilled that, for the second year in a row, he remains enthusiastic about going to school every day. My oldest is in the Signet Program & is having a great time learning. In addition to a superb academic environment, I am most impressed with the conduct of the children in this school. As great as a school could possibly be, if you & your child are witnessing behavioral issues in the building, it will not be a great environment for your child. This school appears to have zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior - though certainly not in a heavy-handed way. If I could give higher than 5 stars for teachers, administration & support staff I would!

Posted November 7, 2011

I have three of my four kids going to school here. I'm in the Air Force and this is their third elementary school. It is bar far the best one yet compared to the ones in Oklahoma and Nevada. The teachers are fantasic and there is a decent amount of money put into the school by the PTA. All the teachers have Smart Boards in their rooms and it enhances the childern's learning quite a bit. The homework load is perfect. The school is clear and all of staff is very professional and nice. I haven't heard any complaints from any of my neighbors whose kids go there as well. Don't hesistate to send your kids here.

Posted April 17, 2011

Old Bridge Elementary is and should be the absolute model for other schools to follow. The principal is outstanding as is the rest of the staff. The staff do really get to know each child and family. There is a very high rate of parental involvement as well. Whether your child exceeds their grade level or are struggling even in just one area, the staff does their best to cater to each child's needs. I really wish the whole rest of the country would take a look at this school and use it as a model for how others should operate. Definitely a 5 star!

Posted April 16, 2011

OBE was our son's fourth school and it was by far the experience we've had with a elementary so far. The principal is simply OUTSTANDING. You will be hard pressed to find a better leadership staff in all of PW county.

Posted January 27, 2011

Excellent school, fantastic family atmosphere, caring faculty and staff. Old Bridge is a wonderful school that we are blessed to be a part of.

Posted April 27, 2010

My son entered this school in the first grade and has really enjoyed his time here. Old Bridge has gone far and above my expectations. The principal and staff know each child by name and are extremely friendly towards everyone. Old Bridge has many programs after school for students,parents and their siblings to enjoy including movie night and dances! We are moving and are sad to go. This is definitely a model school. If you have a child entering the first grade, you will be blessed to have Mrs. Gundersen as your child's teacher!

Posted March 5, 2010

Great principal and teachers. Very attentive to parents and children's needs. Excellence in every area.

Posted January 20, 2010

I must say I love that my son is going to this school. Three months into Kindergarten he learned how to read and is doing really well at beginner math. This school has an high emphasis on education, discipline and respect for others. The curriclum is challenging but fun and the staff is good natured. My son loves his teacher and loves going to school

Posted January 21, 2009

OBE, WOW Being a parent of a visually impaired student. I am happy to say that OBE is giving my daughter an excellent opportunitiy to learn in a normal class envoirnment. They have been so helpful with not only educating my child, but they have also showed that they truly care about her education and future.

Posted June 1, 2008

OBE is the best! We are ending our first year here as a military family and couldn't ask for a nicer office staff and teachers. Everyone is always smiling and very friendly. I am very pleased with both of my children's teachers. They far exceeded my expectations in challenging them to higher levels.

Posted May 14, 2008

This is an excellent school with strong leadership and outstanding teachers.

Posted April 24, 2008

I have had 6 children go to Old Bridge Elementary, We have been there since 1999. I am very pleased with the school, and the teachers. I have only had one teacher I didn't feel was doing the very best for my child. She was a screamer. All of the other teachers (there have been many!) Are excellent! My children feel safe, they are in a very diverse cultural society at OBE. My children don't see race issues. They have excellent programs for gifted kids, and the playground is really fun. The kids have really enjoyed the music programs too!

Posted April 18, 2008

I have had children at Old Bridge since the second year it opened. Two of our children have moved on and we still have two at Old Bridge. We have seen many changes over the years, three different principals, many staff changes and a diversity of children. We love Old Bridge and always have. School of Excellence year after year, check to see how many other Prince William schools have achieved that honor.

Posted April 16, 2008

Our daughter loves OBES as do we. The teachers are professional, caring people. They have helped our daughter make great strides in the two years she has been there. We are thoroughly pleased with the academic and social progress she has made.

Posted April 14, 2008

From the moment you enter the school you see smiling faces of the students and staff that make you feel very welcome. It is a great school! It is a school of excellence for 7 straight years. I would highly recommend this school to anyone moving into this area.

Posted April 13, 2008

Old Bridge Elementary School is one of the most outstanding schools my children have ever attended. We are a Military Family and two of my three children went to OBE. I loved the school so much that after my children moved on to Middle School and High School, I decided to apply for a job at OBE. I am pleased to say that today I am not only a very pleased alumna parent, but also a very proud staff member
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 13, 2008

What can I say? I love to send my kids to OBES each day! The diversity in this school is phenomenal...many different ethnicities and languages spoken. The kids feel special because their teachers care. I disagree with the parent who stated that there is too much emphasis on mastery for the SOLs and not enough on the curriculum! The SOLs measure the mastery of the curriculum and I've seen teachers monitor this all year long. OBES has a great test score history and continues to strive for the best for their kids. The teachers my kids have are very caring and loving but instill in my kids a positive work ethic and level of responsibility that I've not seen elsewhere. There are problems in every school. OBES has its share of challenges but the administration and teachers do everything possible to ensure the safety of my kids and others!

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 72% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 87% in 2012.

85 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 84% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Virginia used the Standards of Learning (SOL) tests to assess students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, writing in grades 5 and 8, and science in grades in 3, 5 and 8. The SOL tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Virginia. The goal is for all students to pass the tests.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 70% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 84% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 75% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Reading

The state average for English: Reading was 73% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English: Writing

The state average for English: Writing was 71% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History and Social Science

The state average for History and Social Science was 89% in 2012.

n/a
Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

Students without disabilities89%
Limited English proficient studentsn/a
Proficient in English88%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Virginia Department of Education. Data is not reported when there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school.

All Students82%

Students without disabilities90%
Limited English proficient students78%
Proficient in English89%

Source: Virginia Department of Education

• In 2009-2010, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2008-2009, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".
  • In 2007-2008, this school was rated "Fully Accredited".

Source: Virginia Department of Education

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3051 Old Bridge Rd