K-5|Private

Bad
Good

The Island School is where we ended up when the great public schools of Bainbridge Island were not a fit for our son. I am pleased with the experience thus far. My son is comfortable and engaged in the school activities and feels secure with his teachers. He is thriving. Excellent place for sensitive who are overwhelmed by larger and busier environments. This school has heart in a unique way and the kids know it.

This school is a special environment. It is small, protective and feels good the minute you walk in the door. We love the Head of School, who is often down on the floor with the kids, singing along during the Monday Morning Sing. The teachers know all the kids' names - I mean in the whole school. There is no tolerance for bullying or teasing, which made our child feel safe. While I hope the school realizes its goals, it's hard to imagine it growing too large - the intimate environment is too precious. we also love the emphasis on fun - rare these days. Our child, who used to loathe school, is excited to go and feels free to be himself. His teachers both cherish him. We're so grateful to be part of the community, and our son is happier and more at ease now that he's there.

Parent involvement is a must for young children. Learning respect, and care from adults is essential for an integrated program that allows children to learn in an atmosphere of learning for the love of it. I will always cherish my past experiences where I got to know our teachers, the students and felt such a warm acceptance for my help and interest.

In a school system of good elementary schools The Island School is a stand out. It has been part of the island community for 30 years. The teachers are experienced and caring, and each class is small with a teacher and a teacher s assistant. The volunteer spirit is vibrant and it is common to see parents or grandparents reading with children in the halls or helping with other activities. There is something very special about this school. My wife and I felt this positive energy the moment we walked in the door and were greeted by the wonderful Principal. After a touring, we knew this is where we wanted our child to start his academic life and we have never regretted that decision. We would recommend The Island School without reservation and encourage every parent of an elementary age kid to at least visit the school and see for yourself.

Last modified The Island School is a Private school that serves grades K-5