K-5|Private

Bad
Good

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

I've not seen it exist at The Island School. The kids and adults don't tolerate it and everyone knows it.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

Each teacher is able to help differentiate lessons against the needs of each student. The teaching teams of a lead and assistant teacher, combined with small class size, give plenty of time for individualized attention.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

The Head of School, Board of Trustees and the rest of the staff are extremely effective, forward-thinking and are not only focused on the immediate needs of the school, its students and community, but also are looking toward the future and setting up the school for long-term success.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is one of the top reasons we chose The Island School for our kids.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are absolutely effective in engaging every single student and helping them grow and achieve. They're the best!

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

There isn't any homework. At this age, research shows it's not important or effective.

My son graduated from The Island School and my daughter is currently enrolled there, and both have had phenomenal experiences. Not only are they well-prepared academically, but also they have learned to truly enjoy learning, and have developed inquisitive minds, compassionate character, and a more. The faculty and staff at The Island School, and the supportive community of parents, are committed to every single student and their growth and wellbeing. We're thrilled to have had the opportunity to be a part of The Island School.

The Island School is where we ended up when the great public schools of Bainbridge Island were not a fit for our son. I am pleased with the experience thus far. My son is comfortable and engaged in the school activities and feels secure with his teachers. He is thriving. Excellent place for sensitive who are overwhelmed by larger and busier environments. This school has heart in a unique way and the kids know it.

This school is a special environment. It is small, protective and feels good the minute you walk in the door. We love the Head of School, who is often down on the floor with the kids, singing along during the Monday Morning Sing. The teachers know all the kids' names - I mean in the whole school. There is no tolerance for bullying or teasing, which made our child feel safe. While I hope the school realizes its goals, it's hard to imagine it growing too large - the intimate environment is too precious. we also love the emphasis on fun - rare these days. Our child, who used to loathe school, is excited to go and feels free to be himself. His teachers both cherish him. We're so grateful to be part of the community, and our son is happier and more at ease now that he's there.

Parent involvement is a must for young children. Learning respect, and care from adults is essential for an integrated program that allows children to learn in an atmosphere of learning for the love of it. I will always cherish my past experiences where I got to know our teachers, the students and felt such a warm acceptance for my help and interest.

Last modified The Island School is a Private school that serves grades K-5