Cam Jr Sr High School

Public | 5-12 | 60 students

Posted April 17, 2014

So far, it is a very nice experience I am having at CAM Academy, compared to previous schools I've attended. For one, the learning atmosphere is so much better. A lot of people I have met here are friendly and well-mannered, and there is diversity within the population. We don't have to worry too much about being bullied. Also, the overall curriculum is more rigorous compared to average schools, and the school provides good preparation for colleges. I have taken honors and AP classes at other schools but CAM tends to have better instructors. Plus, the teachers are able to better get to know their students due to the school's small size, so the experience is more personal. They are also willing to help if we have any questions. Another thing that I like is how CAM puts emphasis on having a good character, because being moral should be considered an important trait to have. A common complaint is the lack of elective classes here. Having a good time at this school depends on the type of student you are, if you are more of an artist or an athlete than mainly into academics, you might be better off at another school and just taking more advanced classes than the usual.

Posted April 30, 2013

My kids live outside the Battleground city limits. When I came in with my child on the test day after registering. I was told by the Principal of the school. "We are full". "Since you live outside the Battleground boundaries you do not have a chance to get in anyways." Check on line for makeup days and if there is any room after everyone else takes the test then maybe you can try. And oh by the way the older child don't even bother. We have just a few openings for that grade level and Battleground kids get first opportunity. I would not recommend this school. If by all means your child had a issue I would not want to deal with this Lady on any level. Try another school.

Posted May 17, 2011

We have two students that attend CAM. They've had very good if not excellent teachers. The atmosphere is unlike any school you'll likely see. The students work diligently in class and aren't easily distracted. Their focus is definitively academic, allowing them to pursue whatever interests them artistically or physically outside of school or Wednesday. There is a religious element to it, in that there seems to be many nonsecular students there. I believe the word is out at the private Christian schools, that this is the place to send your child for a less expensive education. Both of my kids are aware of this and the Christian kids are respectful at school in keeping their opinions private. Parent involvement is what you'd expect at such an academically rigorous school. I would only suggest this school to parents that have children that are focused and self motivated, for others this may be an unpleasant experience. This is a great school if you know what to expect.

Posted November 20, 2010

Amazing school in mediocre school district! This school is a gem in the rough! The teachers are the best of the best & the staff keeps the parents very informed. The schedule is unique & won't work for every family. The students have to fulfill their art & PE outside of CAM. The students are expected to be respectful & responsible & there is no tolerance for misbehavior whatsoever. Children who care about their education flourish here! The workload is not as bad as we expected but the children need to stay on track or they could quickly fall behind. My only small complaint is that there is a large percentage of students who are there because they are religious & there is some talk about religion among the students. BUT there are plenty of other students who are secular & are there to learn & not concerned with others' religion or lack thereof. I think a lot of parents think CAM is a safe place for Christian children to not be exposed to the 'real' world but as a totally secular parent, I see it as an education opportunity. WE LOVE CAM & the staff!!!

Posted October 24, 2010

The teachers really enjoy teaching, my daughter loves it.

Posted September 12, 2008

I've attended CAM since 6th grade and am now a Junior. My older brother has also atteneded CAM from 7th grade until he graduated (we were also involved in Homelink from Kindergarten until we started CAM), so my family and myself are very familiar with the school. I would not describe CAM as well rounded simply because their goals for the school and its students are extremely focused in specific areas. I found the main benifit of this to be that students have the tools and are presented with the ability to succeed. Academically I trust CAM, believe they do excell the norm, and although it was difficult I am glad I have attended CAM because I feel well prepared for college. Socially, however, it cam be difficult if a person does not fit the standard. Students are always kind to new commers and the teachers are great.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 20, 2008

I went to CAM and graduated in '08 and I can't think of a better place to go to school! I loved every minute of it, even as I fought hard to keep my grades up to the high standards they expect there. It's an exceptional school that I was extremely lucky to have attended. The focus on character and application of education in the real world makes for a well rounded and enjoyable education. I loved the teachers and my class as though they were my second family and I miss it! Check into it and ask about the amazing senior east coast trip! No better school. -N
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 26, 2008

I love CAM! Our children have really excelled in their program, and it's definitely great preparation for college and just being successful in life. The teachers really care for the students and want to see them succeed.

Posted September 24, 2007

Our daughter went to CAM last year for 5th. grade and is now in 6th. grade at CAM. We have been overly impressed with every aspect of the school. The teachers are amazing and truly care about the students. Our daughter has learned more in her time at CAM more than any other year and she feels safe to learn and develop close friends because of the consitent expectations and follow through of the teachers, staff, and principal. The teachers have high expectations but at the same time they are very warm and available to help the students do their best and learn. The learning is made to be exciting because there is a lot of hands on verses just 'busy work'. The principal, Coleen Oneal, has just been amazing. Our daughter had a problem with a boy last year and Coleen was kind, consistent, and proactive. We love CAM!

Posted May 22, 2007

No extracurricular activities. Social circles are limited, forcing children to spend time with people who they would not normally enjoy spending time with. Bad influences are unescapable in such a small school.

Posted April 2, 2005

This school is wonderful for families who want to be able to have a strong hand in their child's education. All fine arts/physical education credits are expected to be gained outside of school hours. School is focused only on the academics of your children. The program is college prep and requires 4 years of math, science, english and history to graduate. If you have a child that is able to handle more difficult academic regimen and is involved in outside activities that would count for credit. ex. piano lessons, tennis, karate etc. This is the place for you. Test scores are always in the highest brackets of Washington State.

Posted January 16, 2005

This school really depressed my child. She had no social life, because she did not really enjoy the company of the students because they were so focused in their schoolwork. My child had B+'s and A-'s, and of course she strived for A's, but what all the other students wanted was 4.0. This school is not my opinion as an academic sanctuary. Think twice before sending your child there, unless you would like your child to strive for a 4.0 all their life and have friends and family second.

Posted December 3, 2004

My daughter and son left this school and went to a new school this year. The leadership was unneceptable and the teahcers didn't seem to care about the students success. No a school I would want any child to go to.

Posted October 13, 2004

I have a son and a daughter that have been attending CAM for four years now, and we all love it. It's a great school in all aspects. The teachers are wonderful, the students are well-mannered and very smart, and the overall atmosphere is great. Though the school does not receive much money, the staff knows how to spend it wisely via many ways. Parents, if you are tired of the horrors of regular public school and want your kids to have a bright future, this is an ideal school for you and your family.

Posted April 9, 2004

CAM Jr High had very strong academics which is what attracted us to the school. With exception with English. It was strong in 6th grade although fell short in 7th & 8th. There are many options for PE and other extracurricular activities you just need to be creative. I love the fact that they had Wednesday's to catch up with homework or explore other interests such as art and sports. We recently moved to TX. We shopped for the best school district we could find. They told us most students struggle to make it when they move into their district we chose because they are so strong academically. Our student is doing well and has been placed in advance courses. I believe a combination of a parent partnership of home-schooling and Cam Jr High are the reasons for our students success. I would strongly recommend CAM Jr. High.

Posted February 23, 2004

My child attended CAM Jr for 2 years and found it to be a very positive experience. The teachers are strong but the largest advantage over other schools is the quality of the students. Students have to test to qualify for admission and overall are a group of well-behaved students which makes the learning environment better than other schools in the area. My child had to work hard for A's at this school! It is a good school for a student who wants a strong academic environment. It is not the right place for a student who wants to participate in PE, band, or other elective subjects. The only subjects taught at CAM are core academic courses.

Posted December 11, 2003

This is a truly 'outstanding' school. Academic expectations are high. Student character and morale is also high. The teaching staff is outstanding and extremely responsive to parental input. As a parent, 'you' are able to provide leadership for your child's education and your input and involvement in Jr. Cam is welcome and expected. Students take Wednesday off for extracurricular activities which are the responsibility of the parent. There are several after-school activities available for students'. This is the best school I have seen in southwest Washington and I wouldn't have my child anywhere else.

Posted November 13, 2003

This is not your typical public school. First, you have to get tested and pass to be accepted. The academic standard is very high. You must maintain a certain GPA to continue to attend. Second, the teacheing staff is second to none. They are genuinely concerned about the well being of your child. They make learning an adventure not a chore. I have been very impressed with all the staff. Finally, the school does not offer any extra curricular activities, but you know this going into it. The kids have Wednesdays off of classes to pursue outside activities. They must maintain a log that shows that they are involved in extra curricular things. I feel that our children are getting a very well rounded education at Cam.

Posted September 3, 2003

Horrible leadership...no extra-curricular activities

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

All Students94%

All Students97%
Female94%
Not special education97%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

41 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students80%

Female95%
Male95%
Not special education95%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

58 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

76 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 7%

Average years educational experience 16N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 69%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

715 NW Onsdorff Blvd