Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

My main review speaks volumes to this. To put it briefly, the school is very good at pretending to care, but very terrible at following through.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

My son frequently complained of being picked on and teased and purposely distracted by other students.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The only "friend" my son had in the administration, has left.

Develops character: Disagree

Integrity? Maybe. Compassion and respect? Not at all.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Our son's teacher the first year was wonderful and he did well in his class despite his difficulties focusing. The following two years were constant phone calls and struggling to just get through the weeks without incident.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I felt this work load was excessive for elementary school. In fourth grade my son would spend 3-4 hours a night doing homework.

This is a school for round pegs to fit into round holes. Square pegs will not fit or succeed here. My son has a lot of strengths. He's creative. He's intelligent. He's friendly. He likes to tell jokes. He loves to share. He doesn't hesitate to share his opinion. Unfortunately, he has a very low tolerance for boredom. My son struggled at this school for three years before I finally pulled him out and decided to homeschool him. He's been diagnosed with ADHD. He has a lot of trouble focusing. I won't deny that. His behavior is fine at home, but he was having frequent outbursts at school. Sometimes they were emotional only - crying, tears, asking to go to the hallway because he was too upset to be in the classroom. It eventually got to the point where he was throwing and breaking things. He never acts like this anywhere else. We got him an IEP and were told there would be accommodations made for him, but I feel like they were only doing the bare minimum. I was told he would be allowed to type assignments because he has trouble with writing. He wasn't. The class frequently took handwritten notes, and he could never keep up, which lead to a lot of frustration. He was forced to take tests at the front of the class room - we were told he would be able to go somewhere quiet for tests. This made him feel humiliated and eventually lead to at least one of his outbursts. The classroom *was* provided with an assistant who could help him 1 on 1, but the school complained he was taking too much of her time. The previous year his teacher would frequently write lengthy notes about his poor behavior which he had to bring home to us, but when he had a day of good behavior we would get a simple "10/10" with nothing else for positive reinforcement. His not paying attention is worth writing a paragraph about, but his completing his work in class isn't? Way to be supportive of a kid who is struggling with self esteem issues. On top of that, the office was staffed with incorrigible gossips. I'm exasperated. Frankly, trying to homeschool him while working a job with long hours is exhausting and I can't keep it up. I'm afraid to try another public school with him after my experience with Clyde Hill. Don't make the mistake we did. If your child is not "neurotypical", please find another school, or you'll be having lots of meetings with administration which help no one.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Too much for such an early age. Our child really struggles at facing homework after a long day, and we resent having to spend a big chunk of our evening family time on homework. Wish this didn't start until later, like grades 4 or 5. I've read studies lately that early homework doesn't necessarily help kids.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school has a values curriculum, and teaches things like the virtue of the month. There's also an emphasis on developing social and community skills, and learning how to problem solve and be polite.

Our daughter has been at CHES for 2 years. We've been very impressed by the attentiveness of her teachers across the board. The school is great at communicating what's going on in the classroom and it's nice to have a variety of activities like PE, music, art, etc. Field trips are great too. The school also has wonderful reading instructors- something that has been a great help to our child. On the down side- the building is quite worn out and not super nice considering the neighborhood. We hear it's going to be torn down and rebuilt in 2-3 years. The other thing is constant fundraising. We donate, but at the same time, our property taxes are going up literally 15-20% every year, which we'd hope would fund the schools well (and then some). All around positive experience, great staff.

Last modified Clyde Hill Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.