Interlake Senior High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 17, 2013

Interlake HS.... very disappointed, my child attended all four years, and two weeks before graduation in 2012 I was notified that my child was 1 credit short to graduate...when I had been told everything would be fine. So now I have a child with no high school diploma or assistance from the school on what to do now... My child has been so disappointed by this all dreams once talked of no longer exhist now working flipping burgers. Too much emphasis on gifted program.

Posted June 21, 2013

I have two daughters that graduated from Interlake and it was a great experience for both of them. My youngest just graduated this week and is going on to USC. I can't believe the comment that only football was a good sport there. Both of my daughters went to state multiple times in three different sports. The cross country coach is a former Olympian (1996, best American in the 10,000 meters!). The only concern we had was that the PRISM program (for talented and gifted students) are automatically alloted the top 50 slots in class ranking so that was a negative when it came to applying to colleges since the top schools want students who have placed in the top 10% of the their class.

Posted August 29, 2012

Our kids haven't yet met any great teachers at Interlake, though quite a few are competent. Given the high ratings of this school, we are very disappointed with the reality. Math is especially weak. My child had a calculus teacher last year who didn't know calculus, and said so on the first day of class. It didn't get any better, although our child's experience in the class improved when one of the students started teaching the class each day. Thank goodness for that student. The teacher sat at her computer and played games. Parents protested, to no effect: she's back again this year. This teacher has been at the school for 7 years at least, so I guess they can't get rid of her. Don't bother talking with the counselors or administration about it. They don't return your calls and don't seem to care, or maybe are just jaded.

Posted May 22, 2012

Academically, you won't get much better, however, there is a social aspect of the school that's challenging. It's extremely clicky... On a couple occasions I had to email the principle regarding some issues my child was having. Neither of the emails I'd sent were responded to. In my experience, this is how they tend to handle things, so keep that in mind. The curriculum is up there with the best, and there are a couple teachers that are flat out phenomenal (e.g. an English teacher), but unfortunately it's not enough to make up for the extremely awkward and challenging social environment. Sports are ok. The football coaching staff is good, but other programs are far behind it. There is awareness, however, in this area to bring other sports up to par with football. In addition, school spirit is a bit lackluster here. Music programs are top of the line and a lot of energy is put into them. If your child isn't concerned with the social aspect, is part of the gifted program (gifted program is a bit separated from the rest of the school), or is full academic, then this could be a good fit.

Posted May 11, 2012

I have a daughter in this school and I have only good comments about it. The Staff is great, she's had some amazing teachers. She has some very good friends from the gifted program but most from the regular program which is really fine. The English teacher is awesome, her favorite! the Music department is really good, and watching the Band and the Orchestra is amazing! Both vice principals are very approacheable and good.

Posted May 16, 2011

I have had two sons graduate from Interlake and will have my youngest son will enter Interlake as a freshman this fall. My boys were there both before and AFTER the rebuild. The rebuild wasn't fun for the kids, but the students took it all in good humor. It is academically outstanding, and their music department is top drawer. After the remodel, the district's gifted student program was expanded and moved to Interlake. And there is where my only criticism is. The gifted kids are the only really cliquey group there. They are a somewhat isolationist and unpleasant bunch, but there are also gifted kids who like being involved with the school and shine in the school environment.Loking forward to my youngest son beinfg there in the falland taking orchestra with Dr. Katsman

Posted July 19, 2010

Interlake is by far one of the best schools in Washington state. It has had its problems years ago but was put back on track by a wonderful staff and community. Not only is it a beautiful campus sitting on a hill nestled in the beautiful evergreen woods, it has wonderful attributes such as, state of the art academic wings, 3 gyms, a turf football field with a solar powered concession stand, enough computers throughout the school to guarantee availability if a student need to use one, Smart boards in every class, horticulture wing, an award winning music program,a very succesful special ed program, diversity, a reviving sports program, an every growing saints community, Interlake was usually always a large school throughout the 70s and 80s but declined in enrollment plummeting to 730 students around 2004 and 6 years later Interlake has nearly 1,400 students. I love this school.

Posted May 20, 2009

I am a current senior at Interlake in the class of 2009. While I think that Interlake has an amazing teaching staff, and the teacher reall want to get to know their students, there are a lot of reviews on here by new freshmen or old students, so i thought i would a current 4 yr students imput. A lot of these reviews are buttering up the school and only telling one side. While the teachers are great and we are the only IB school in Bellevue, and probably one of the best public HS in Washington, there is a lot of pressure put on students to take IB and AP course. However, the school is overall very good. The teachers really love what they do, and the counsolers are absolutly the best EVER, I can definately say I will miss IHS! It is an amazing school, very few cliches.

Posted February 28, 2009

I am currently a freshman at Interlake High School, and I can genuinely say I AM IN LOVE WITH MY SCHOOL. The teachers here are so fantastic! They really do help you when you need it. You can also really 'click' with them if you let them, they're not only your teachers they're like your friends. I live in Renton and wake up at 5 AM to go to school and I am always up and ready to go because the teachers really do make learning fun. I get really mad at the snow days because I seriously love Interlake. The students here are amazing and nice. They are so full of school spirit, it is astounding.

Posted July 12, 2008

I noticed that there were a couple of discouraging reviews, so I wanted to counter them: I am a current student of Interlake, class of 2010. Interlake was fully completed my freshman year and is completely mordern and state-of-the-art. Our technology, horticulture, music, language, and AP/IB programs are healthy, interesting, and well-taught. Teachers are, for the most part, very intent on their students succeeding and provide entertaining and productive curriculums. Because we are a small school, our sports teams do struggle--although girls softball, volleyball, and badminton do very well B)--but /because/ we are a small school, we have a relatively tight and family-like community without many cliques or tension. Interlake is a fantastic high school that I have very much enjoyed studying at, these past two years, and I feel assured that the next two--my IB years--will be just as interesting, if more challenging, as the first two.

Posted August 10, 2007

Very pleased with Interlake. The school is beautiful and the staff is student focused. Student achievement and accountability paramount and expressed by the faculty. The counseling department is top shelf. Bellevue has a wonderful school district and the competition is tough. Realistically - compare Interlake to other high schools in other districts , especially Seattle and you will be blown away. when we toured the school and the Principal led out tour , greeted cheerily by students around the school. Impressive

Posted March 22, 2007

We are pleased with the Interlake Community. There is an attitude of wanting students to challenge themselves and be successful. The IB program provides great academic opportunity. The staff is enthusiastic and of high quality. Students are supportive of each other. The diversity of the community adds to the overall experience in a positive way. Sports teams struggle a bit because they do not have a huge pool to draw from but it is possible for students to participate in a wide variety of activities here that they might be closed out of in another larger school.

Posted March 9, 2004

I am a student of the class of 2004 at Interlake, and I would like to say that we have a great school. Even though right now it seems run down, in a few years it is going to have features that no other school in the area does. One thing that is so great about IHS is the IB program. Instead of giving students an American-based education like AP, the IB program teaches students to look at each topic and lesson on a world-wide view. This is especially important today when students need to understand what is going on around them! IHS is filled with caring students who excell in their academics as well as their extracurricular activities. Although we may seem like the little school right now, Interlake is growing in the right direction thanks to it's dedicated students who believe in the school and where it's going.

Posted January 18, 2004

I am a student at Interlake. Right now Interlake is going through a big change. Most classes will soon be in portables and poorly heated classrooms with no windows. Students will soon have to use honeybuckets. This is because we are remodeling the school into a state of the art high school. There will be all new buildings with computer powered white boards and all of the buildings will be connected by a skybridge. We will have new landscaping and a new theater with a rotating stage. everything is being torn down. Interlake will soon be a better school and hopefully soon more people will sign up when the remodel is done in 2005-2006. This may even boost our losing streak for all of our sports teams. Most of the teachers are great and work hard for the students' good grades. There is a problem with the lack of posting grades and report cards. The students never really see much of the principals but the counselors do a really good job of greeting the students. Come to Interlake in a couple of years!

Posted January 2, 2004

I loved attending this High School. Back then it was 'All-American' we had championship sports teams, great teachers, and a 'spirit' as an adult I have discovered how lucky I was to have attended a school like Interlake.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

149 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

13 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students58%

All Students54%
Male60%
Not special education58%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

329 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

368 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

373 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

361 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 9N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 63%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

16245 NE 24th St