Bellingham, WA

Sunnyland Elementary School 1

Posted April 18, 2014
We have been stuck in this district for years and I am fed up. Awful teachers with horrible attitudes. My friend in this district also have complaints about the teachers and staff here. They class sizes are huge and there is no one on one interaction with individual students. No real teacher involvement, it is the worst elementary by far.

Posted July 08, 2012
My son has attended Sunnyland Elementary for two years. He had the same teacher for both third and fourth grade, Mr. Brian Pahl. Mr. Pahl is an excellent teacher. He's one of the few teachers who's qualified to use computers in his class as a teaching aid. Also, he doesn't hold any student back from learning and pays extra attention to the students who really need his help. The principal, Mary Anne Stuckart, is very dedicated to her school and organizes many activities that involve the parents, including library/reading nights, math nights, and many other activities that are always a huge success with a large turnout of not only the parents and students, but also the teachers. Sunnyland also has a very active PTA that is involved in fund raising for school activities. This will be my son's last year at Sunnyland and I've heard very good things about both fifth grade teachers.

Sunnyland Elementary School 2

Posted February 20, 2011
Very disappointed in this school. Kindergarten teacher left my child traumatized, feeling they could not succeed. It took 3 months at another school to get this child to the point where they were willing to spread their wings and try again. Truly excellent teachers (there are some) receive very little support by the administration. Creativity NOT encouraged, lock-step, obedient, uninspired performance rewarded. One teacher at an awards ceremony did not even know the names of all the children in her class. Not preparing children for success in the 21st century.

Sunnyland Elementary School 1

Posted November 08, 2010
My son went to Sunnyland for 5 years and my daughter is now in her 5th year and I have to say, Sunnyland seems more like a business trying to raise (make) money as apposed to giving our children the proper education. Sunnyland is a low income school and recieves money for each child that attends, I truly feel as if they care more about your child returning the next year as apposed to them succeeding and making it to the next year. Don't get me wrong, they have a few EXCELLENT teachers, the playground attendant and even the custodian are great with the kids. One of the issues that bugs me the most, Sunnyland does not send kids home that have lice. With them not sending the kids home the infestation does not go away. No kid left behind is BS at Sunnyland. B.M

Posted October 03, 2009
My son started Kindergarten there a month ago and absolutely loves it. He really likes his teachers and Mr. Carpenter the playground attendent. Before he started I, like and parent, was anbit concerned he'd settle in okay, but I needn;t have worried. The teaxchers have all been exceptional in making school fun and interesting. Like all good teachers, they really care about the kids' development.

Sunnyland Elementary School 4

Posted March 17, 2009

Posted February 24, 2009
I have a son who was multiple grade levels behind due to previous school moving him forward even though he was not prepared. This school took the time to listen to me and put him on an IEP. Within the first Semester of the IEP he had improved one grade level in his reading! This is an amazing school with a wonderful caring staff who listen to parent concerns.

Sunnyland Elementary School 4

Posted April 29, 2008
I like the school and staff, they do a very good job with the limited resources they have. I wish the they received more funding to be able to afford better equipment, supplies, etc. M

Sunnyland Elementary School
2800 James St, Bellingham, WA  98226
Last modified Sunnyland Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sunnyland Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top