PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

New principal with a definite vision for the school. He has hired some excellent new teachers and is very engaged in correcting any past or current problems. The class sizes may be the same as public school but your have way more aid time this is huge when trying to break kids down into small groups. There is also more of a focus on challenging the kids who need it and helping the kids who need extra help. This is a very down to earth middle class private school definitely not elitie. The relationship with the parish is a work in progress but is moving in the right direction. The best thing about this school is that every teacher and staff member know your student and wants to see them succeed they are not just another number.

I love this school! Three of my children have graduated from St. B's and are doing amazing in high school and college. St. Brendan prepared them well for the next level of education. Parents and teachers are wonderful and caring. The science teacher is amazing, and I have high hopes for the new principal. I would definitely recommend this school. Do not believe ridiculous reviews talking about 40 kids in a class or a falling down building!. Come see for yourself!

I am so very glad I decided to not send my child to this school. It is a shame that the Principal is so odd and I hope that the rumors of her leaving are true. I am all for strict schooling - but there is a difference between strict and flat out bad. We were going to start in the fall but changed our minds. Having almost forty kids in your classroom is too many, particularly for the lower grades. You get more attention and smaller class size in public school. Where is the benefit? The building is in dire need of remodel/repair. Not sure where the money is going for this school but it certainly isn't the facilities. The other parents did seem awfully cold and there was a general coldness in the air with everyone we have dealt with. Hope to see things change in the future there - maybe we will change our minds then too.

When the "retiring" principal no longer shows up at school after giving her notice but is somehow still the principal for the rest of the year there is a huge problem. I agree with other reviewers St. Brendan's need a total overhaul. There is way too much truth bending and lack of accountability from administration and staff. Parents who keep salaries paid and the lights on have no rights and no voice. Such a shame. St. Brendan's used to be a model Catholic school.

I have attended the school. The fifth to eighth grade science teacher is amazing. He is very engaging and enjoys teaching. The eighth grade teacher is also an amazing teacher. Some of the other teachers on the other hand are quite the opposite. A girl was being bullied a bit from about third grade until sixth grade. None of the teacher (until sixth grade) did anything about it. The fifth grade teacher at the time had been informed and said she would pay closer attention to the student harassing the girl. Nothing changed. The sixth grade/seventh grade language arts/literature teacher was the first to step up and make a change. She arranged a meeting between the two kids, had them talk, and then had them make some decisions to avoid conflicts in the future. The school needs electives. Art, music, and technology are mandatory. These classes had some major problems in the past. Especially music and technology. Art was great for a while until the teacher left part way through the year. Other classes are typically fine, but the principal should come around the classrooms more often.

My family has been at St. Brendan School for 7 years. We are very happy with the teachers and the principal. Our principal is retiring at the end of this school year. I am sad to see our principal go as she has been a great principal. She is strict and effective and that is what we need at our school. She may be to strict for some parents and students and that may be the reason for the bad reviews below. I am amazed at how thoughtful and caring the students and parents are when our family has gone through rough times due to health issues. I feel lucky to be a part of this school and community. My kids have done very well at St. Brendan, not only academically but also are respectful and caring individuals.

As a past parent, I agreed with this post 1000% Posted July 07, 2013 - a community member I'll leave an accurate review as soon as I know the principal is no longer working there. When our child was at St. Brendan, the current principal did the right thing but she went back on her words to us three days later; she did not follow the school handbook that she approved. I went two steps higher, a register letter with return signature, still no acknowledgment, still no reply. FIVE stars for the excellent, caring teachers and staff

St. Brendan asked its School Commission board members to write positive reviews on Greatschools.org at the October 2014 meeting. The board includes the priest, the principal, and a handful of involved parents. This is unethical, and it doesn't address some of the problems addressed in these reviews. The school has a great science program. The teacher is enthusiastic and gets the students excited about science. The art and music teachers are exceptional as well. The homeroom teachers are hit and miss. Some grades have excellent homeroom teachers, but others are weak and don't live up to the mission of the school. Unfortunately, many parents are cliquish, snobby, and rude. And since parents are required to volunteer during the school year, there is no avoiding them.

Catholic schools that are thriving have engaged pastoral leadership. St. Brendan's does not. Catholic schools that are successful have compassionate principals. St. Brendan's does not. Catholic schools whose teachers nurture their students have happy children and waiting lists. St. Brendan does not. This school needs an overhaul from top to bottom. Trust what the majority of reviewers on this blog have to say. It's true.

Our oldest child graduated from the school last year and we have another chlid still at the school. We have been there for the past ten years and are very happy with the principal, the teachers and the community of parents. We would like to see the pastor more involved in the school though.

Last modified St Brendan Parish School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8