Emerson Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 600 students

Posted August 11, 2014

I agree with previous poster, this school is full of bullies. Heatbreaking for my child everyday. My kids complained daily about the lunchroom ladies so I went to investigate it myself. I was floored. What a horrible horrible experience. I watched so many kids being "placed on step"... I watched the clock and one child sat out for 12 minutes of his 15 minute lunch (after standing in line for 5 mins to GET his lunch), had no time to eat and was shipped back to class w/out eating. What an eyeopener it was for me. Teachers make all the difference as my eldest had a terrible time, but my son had a great 1st grade experience.. all due to his teacher. She was amazing and he is lucky enough to get her again this year. Parents listen to your children and watch for their growth. My 9 yr old went from thriving and loving school to hating it and losing interest, let alone have limited friendships. Once more year and I am pulling her out in favor of private education. Good luck and keep your eyes open!

Posted April 23, 2014

This is a horrible school. My kid has been nothing but bullied here. The workers at the front desk are EXTREMELY rude, & I have witnessed them yelling at a little boy because he was lost. This school stole my daughters innocence. Since she started, she has major anger issues from being bullied. Dont bother telling teachers, or the principle. They say "kids will be kids." Kids steal anything they see another kid with. Teachers do not supervise these children while theyre at recess. Everyday she was there, I had such bad anxiety worrying if she was getting beat up. Stay away from this school!! I cannot express how bad it is. Myself, along with other parents are trying to get this school evaluated. The teacher my daughter had bullied her as well. She went from a overachiever to a kid that is failing and afraid to make friends. The counsiler is the only one that tried helping. The teacher purposely sat my daughter with the 3 girls that would surround her and push her around. Stay away from this place please!!! It has ruined my daughter !!

Posted February 27, 2014

There is no joy or happiness inside this school building. I am so uncomfortable picking up my student at the end of the day. The principal still has not returned my call made three weeks ago, and when I call the office I am told they can not transfer calls to the principal. Leaving messages over concerns is a waste of time. Parents are complaining but feel they can't do anything. It seems like it has really gone down hill in the past two years. The people in the office make me feel like I am stupid if I ask a question, and the principal just hides in her room.

Posted January 31, 2014

My daughter who's Caucasian has had a horrible time for YEARS at this school, which is 70% hispanic. The bullying problems here continues even after teachers and staff have been notified until I was blue in the face. They stop teaching spelling here after 1st grade. The teachers try their best with limited resources but the staff is judgmental and rude. Long story short I am trying to move my family to a new neighborhood now after ten years ONLY to get my kid into another school...any other school. I posted this here today so that hopefully nobody else's child will suffer like mine has. If your child speaks Spanish they might do OK...might...but the bullying here for my daughter has been horrible and relentless and they do NOTHING to stop it. The bus is so out of control,a report to the supervisor got me sympathy on phone but then NOTHING done and the driver still can't control things. DON'T send your kids here. They hover over them at lunch like drill sargents so I don't know why they can't stop all the Hispanic kids from picking on the white girls. We feel hopeless so we are leaving but not until I shout it from the rooftops that this school has BIG issues!

Posted August 3, 2013

I would not recommend this school to other parents to take there kids. I went through the whole year and didn't go to my sons class to volunteer. My son would come home intimidated with a slip to sign that he didn't make his day. Finally, the last day of school I went with him and stayed in his classroom and noticed that the kids were very uncomfortable with answering their points. I think that there is other ways of showing the students involvement in class. Teachers should acknowledge the students one on one instead of getting put down by others.

Posted March 26, 2013

My daughter attended this school from kindergarten through 5th grade- Teachers are great! loved everyone she had. Administration? not so great- by the time she reached 5th grade they were on their 3rd principal The second principal, we liked- he was addressing many issues with problem students- but he left due to health reasons (thats what we were told)- My daughter did well academically- mostly because we worked with her at home as well. Too much focus on AR over the last couple of years, not enough focus on math- as you can tell by the low math scores- lots of low income families attend the school- which i'm sure doesn't help testing- bottom line is without parent support at home, the school will never have better scores.

Posted June 8, 2012

Great programs, specialists, PTA, after school activities, before and after school childcare through Boys and Girls clubs on site. Have attended K-2nd and so far have had great teachers, especially for K and 2nd. Kindergarten teachers work together and go the extra mile. In first grade, there were two teachers sharing classroom space and I didn't like that. My son struggled with reading in first grade, but got a lot of support from reading specialists to bring him up to par. Now he's excelling in the AR reading program. Teachers have been very interactive. They have an effective disciplinary system called Make Your Day and emphasize respecting others. On the down side, they have had three principals in three years. They have low test scores, from what I hear, mostly due to non-English speaking kids.

Posted June 8, 2012

After having some great teachers in past years, I pulled my child from this school because of her current teacher, I am rating the teachers as average, because some are fantastic, and some are below average. I would keep a close eye on my child's well being. The office staff are great. The school concentrates on studying for the state tests and nothing else. The administration leaves a lot to be desired, just Google the principle and see why the move from the last school.

Posted August 19, 2009

My daughter has attended this school k-1st.I thought it was and ok school. Then I get this letter about the test scores .I did feel they could use more teacher help in the classroom(teacher+ teacher-aide).Like when I was growing up.

Posted August 17, 2009

This school has low academic standards. Everything seemed to be dumbed down. No written reports were required in fourth grade.

Posted August 5, 2009

After reading reviews here about Emerson school I was really sad that my daughter will have to go to this school we start looking for other options but at the end we had to send our daughter to this school. Now after sending my daughter for one year we realize that we are the lucky to be in this school because everybody there is soooo nice and helpful. teachers are nice , we are really happy.

Posted May 10, 2009

All my children attend this school. Their teacher and principle are very nice. The school is accomodative to what we need. They always send class material home so we know what my children learn at school. I really appreciate their working.

Posted November 4, 2008

My child attends Emerson Elementary. The teacher works with me to ensure that my child is getting everything she needs to be successful in class. The staff is always happy to see us as parents show up to help out with special events or daily support. For my child's IEP meeting there were 8 people in the meeting from the school and the district, all had made sure that they were familiar with my child and her needs. We came from a school that was in a 'higher' ranked school district, with a much higher median income. I must say that Emerson has provided us with better services and a higher level of support. The 'make your day' system and structure of the school provides a safe environment. I was apprehensive at first about moving to Emerson, now I am very glad we did.

Posted March 7, 2008

While I feel that the teachers themselves are of good quality, the dicipline program is far to strict. I do not feel that the expectations are age-appropriate. The end result being a very discouraged child. Wea re changing schools next year.

Posted September 26, 2007

The leadership/principal at Emerson leaves a lot to be desired. Overall the teachers are outstanding. I just wish they could get the administrative support that they all deserve.

Posted June 12, 2007

This school is outstanding! We have been there for three years now and each year has been a great experience. The teachers and staff go out of their way to make education as interesting and fulfilling as possible. I commend the school on it's discipline and ability to work together toward the common goal of educating our children.

Posted May 31, 2007

This school is too strict in some areas and in other areas is too lax. My children are not thriving there and we are changing schools next year.

Posted August 26, 2005

The make your day program leaves children with learning and/or behavior disorders with low self-esteem and should be called public shaming.

Posted April 2, 2005

I have 2 daughters attending Emerson. One daughter constantly tells me that they are not allowed to talk during lunch on most days. My other daughter missed a field trip because the teacher lost her permission slip, and didn't inform me of the lack of permission slip till the day of the trip! My girls have made good friends, but I feel the teachers play favorites, and the rules change depending on the situation or the kids involved. I think that is an unfair way for children to learn.

Posted March 29, 2005

would not recommend this school for children you would like to see as our future leaders.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students68%

• Cynthia Jones
Fax number
  • (425) 385-6202

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now