Lake Washington High School

Public | 10-12 | 997 students

Posted September 28, 2014

I am a sophomore currently at this school, my freshman year was a really good overall year. I personally do not like the some of the teachers at this school. The math department is TERRIBLE, my math teacher was very immature and would tell us to "shut up" and wasn't very professional. It's been 3 weeks since school started and i've already had to reach out to a tutor for geometry. Some teachers are either super cool and helpful and others are just completely awful and seem like they hate their job. Another reason I don't like this school very much is how small it is, but that's just a personal opinion. I like the feeling of having a large, spirited school, and LW is not my ideal school in that case. Everyone knows everyone and everything. A lot of the people here are very stuck-up and rude and majority of the Athletics are not very good. The administration is alright, I personally do not like the principal.

Posted June 7, 2014

I'm just ending my freshmen year at Lake Washington and I will not be attending next year. I absolutely hated it. The teachers are terrible and childish. My Algebra teacher would yell "shut up" at everybody, but if we said "shut up" she would get mad. She yelled at me across the room to "grow up" in front of the entire class when she could have easily taken me outside to speak. She's called students "stupid" and "moron". When I spoke to the vice princable she did absolutely nothing about it. Didn't even speak with the teacher. I got suspended two times because of that teacher and both times none of the THREE principles bothered to tell my mom. 3 out of my 5 teachers would lash out at students for stupid reasons instead of handelling it responsibly. The Lake Washington administration is terrible.

Posted January 19, 2013

Look, I've gone to only one public high school, so I can't really say whether this is a good or bad school in comparison to any other. For this reason, I've decided to play it safe and give the school two stars. I am an ex-Quest program student (part-time at Sandberg El, Full time Kamiakin JHS) and I was terribly disappointed in most every class offered. A few teachers there were decent, more laid back and made an effort to get you to like them and the work you were doing. They would give you a little wiggle room so that you could truly own your work and be take their studies in your own direction. The vast majority, however, were all notes and worksheets. Some of the administrative staff was alright, but its been largely replaced by pseudo-authoritarian figures. I suppose I wrote a couple good essays in my one and a half years there, (transferred to LW Technical College to do their Academy program. I HIGHLY recommend it, for students of any GPA) but I mostly just slept and did lots of drugs. Parents of '12, be sure to ask your kids about 'Thizzin Thursdays,' if you have a chance. That should be a laugh and a half. The house system is also a little unsettling.

Posted April 12, 2012

Lake Washington High School is outstanding for many reasons. They have a very proactive principal who is driven to make this school a top one in the district. They recently earned 3 Washington State Achievement Awards: Overall Excellence, Language Arts, & Overall Improvement. This school offers excellent honors and AP classes. The staff communicates with parents and are very available for students and care about their success. The stunning, brand new school was opened in Fall 2011. They are one of the smaller high schools in the Lake Washington District which is beneficial for students and staff getting to know one another.

Posted August 1, 2010

The Staff at Lake Washington High School are very attentive to each students needs and highly encourages the best from each student!! I would recommend Lake Washington HS!

Posted May 15, 2009

I struggled with some personal issues in 10th grade and the school was awesome at helping me out with that. I was able to take the time i needed to get my life back together. Upon returning to school i relized what I was missing all along. That motivation is key in doing well in school. Sadly I found this motivation from only a few teachers most all of it (motivation) had to come from myself. That would be my biggest problem, the teachers, good or bad, are not always more than just individuals that seem to have a base of information but not always the means to get that information to us. That is not to say there are not awesome teachers at this school. Some the the most helpful people in my life are teachers as LW.

Posted November 6, 2008

This school has its qualities but I have serious misgivings about the principal Brad Malloy who seems to worry more about being buddies with the football team than running a school. For the neighborhood, the academic standards should be much higher. (See Bellevue, ICS)

Posted July 3, 2008

I graduated with the class of 2005, I could say that it seems due to a recent visit, that the quality of the school has dramatically gone down. I know for a fact that with my graduating class, majority of the dedicated and quality teachers left only to be replaced with incompetent teachers. This school does not prepare you well for college. This school needs to set it's priorities straight, as education should be the number one priority over other things. This school is highly unmotivated and has no leadership. The educational standards in this school are not very high. Do not go to this school if you want a good education, maybe if you want a sports career or something. There are other better schools out there such as Bellevue or Newport High School.

Posted February 7, 2008

This school has great potential but has no leadership. There are some good teachers, but quite a bit if deadwood too. The math department is absolutely horrible. The prinicipal is extremely weak and will not deal with poor teachers. Good leadership could make this a great school. My kids are all college bound, but this school was not helpful. The elementary school (Peter Kirk) and Junior High (KJH) were great.

Posted October 4, 2007

School is great, but the kids moral and participation are low. We need to work on that

Posted August 22, 2007

I am a junior and i feel very welcome in this establishment but it is not a perfect school. A perfect school is as hard to find as the perfect __(insert something here)___.

Posted October 20, 2006

Alot of the teachers are below average. The schools government system doesn't work. They go ou of thier way not to do thier job. The teachers don't trust the students, so nothing gets done. The teaching is below average, and the leadership in teachers to students is nonexistant. Alot of bad techers, can't choose classes or change teachers, even if they are incompetant. Alot of the classes are jokes. If you do well here, you will probably not do well in college.

Posted May 19, 2006

good teachers. nice kids most of all. good curriculum. teachers are friendly.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 31, 2005

I have been a student at Lake Washington High School for several years now. I beleive that it is an overall good school. The academic program is highly branched and the extra-curriculars are varied and well organized. In general, the PTSA in not that involved in school since it is run mostly by the school administration with some imput from the ASB officers.

Posted August 22, 2005

Lake Washington is a great school. The math and science departments are very strong as well as the arts. The administration does a good job with student discpline.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2005

Wonderful school my daughter really loved it.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

311 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

320 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Not low income98%
Special education76%
Not special education98%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

254 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students41%

Average years educational experience 14N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 56%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Arts & music

• Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Music room

• Christina Thomas

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Performing arts
  • Drama
  • Poetry
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

12033 NE 80th