Harrison Preparatory School

Public | 6-12 | 500 students

International Baccalaureate MYP Programme

Posted June 11, 2014

This is a great place to learn, mature and participate in school and community activities. My son has so enjoyed the relationships he has been able to make with teachers during his high school years. Having the same caring teachers for four years did wonders for him. He is now prepared for anything life may throw at him. Parents who make the effort to partner with this school will be greatly rewarded.

Posted February 27, 2014

My family has been dealing with HP for the past two years, and have never been more disappointed with a school, or a district, ever. The administration at the school are mostly rude and short, and it is hard to get anything accomplished. Phone calls are not returned and the fact that they have a principal, a VP and a dean of students and still can't run a school well should tell you something.

Posted November 16, 2013

My daughter is in 6th grade and it is her first year. The school seems very disorganized and staffs/teachers are poorly guided. It seems there seriously lack communication and do not even respond to parents' calls. I am going to wait to see how the rest of this year goes and if it continues like this, I am definitely putting my daughter in another school. It just seems there is no pride in quality of education and mentoring students. Perhaps their focus is more on older students in high school...I am not sure. It has been very disappointing dealing with them as it seems they do not take responsibility. I plan on bringing this to the principal's attention to see how she handles. - a very concerned parent

Posted July 28, 2013

i went to Harrison prep during 7th grade and sense i moved to fort belvoir in Virginia because of being in the military i miss the teachers that helped me during school and after school i also miss the students.I liked how the teachers helped when you were failing classes by explaining it better.i think Harrison prep should be a little bigger and have locker rooms and only have 6-12 grade because everyone got along better and just adding like kids will be very distracting because of the screaming and etc.... this school is the best out of all schools i have been to.i wish it didn't have to changes.

Posted March 11, 2013

I am not sure what Harrison the other people are talking about here but our experience with Harrison has been lack luster, The Principal is rude and unengaged and the teachers are for the most part awful. My daugheter's test scores and gpa have plummetted due the lack of teaching. They are disorganized and horrible to work with. If you complain then they take it out on your student. Diligently looking for another school for my child to attend!!! 6th grade was a waste of time..I only pray that it is not too late to get my child back on track!

Posted January 30, 2012

LOVE THIS SCHOOOOOL!!! it is amazing! I love how small it is and how excited my child is to go to school.

Posted January 20, 2012

Hello, I am a mother of a child with special needs, I think this is the school is that he needs, I would like to make an appointment with the school counselor as soon as possible, and that can help me as to their needs. Thank you very much!

Posted January 20, 2012

Hi I am a 7th grade student and I used to go to harrison prep this was one of my very favorite schools my family is in the military so we move around alot and this school is so welcoming and kind the teachers are good the kids are nice the kids there don't bully people. At the school that I have been going to there has been bullying like nothing I've ever seen. I went to freedom park elementary but the teachers were terrible so this is my first day being homeschooled. Harrison prep is one of the best schools I have ever been to the only thing that I would change about it is maybe to get lockers.

Posted July 15, 2009

This school feels like a private school without the high price tag. My son has always been bored to death at school but now faces challenges that make him push himself to new learning. The staff and the principal are caring people who will work hard to make sure that kids are well taken care of. We feel lucky to have our student at a school where high academic rigor is the norm.

Posted July 10, 2009

i am a student here, i love it, i am on this site because students need to be also, to help the adults understand us better, i say this but i am more of an adult in the way i act then i am a child. also this is the best school i have been to. i went to camas prairie in spanaway, also i went to park lodge, it is a school in lakewood also. but of all the schools this is the absolute best. it is very small, only 400 students in the entire school. no way it should get less than 5 stars!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 21, 2008

This is a small truly progressive school based on principles founded on the Coalition of Essential Schools. It is excellent for students who are interested in science and technology and plan on being college ready. The one thing our family really likes is they do not tolerate disrespectful behavior or bullying. Mrs. Boyd the principal is very proactive as are the staff of young professionals. This school is not for everybody. It has students from 5th grade through 12th grade who are hard working and seeking a more rigorous academic environment but may enter the school struggling. This school was almost our last resort. We were tired of the bullying and lack of curriculum and help in other local public schools.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

103 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students55%

White85%
Low income51%
Not special education64%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students79%

Female93%
White92%
Not special education85%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

25 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

41 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

47 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Female100%

Special education 12%N/A13%
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 245%N/A44%
Source: 1 WA OSPI, 2009-2010
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school CPSD Elementary Schools
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 10% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 80% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 5% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 5% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Washington
Central Washington University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Student-teacher ratio

Students per classroom teacher 20N/A17

Teacher experience

Average years educational experience 4N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 75%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Washington State Achievement Award (2012)
  • Washington State Achievement Award (2011)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration

School start time
  • 9:00 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Lisa Boyd
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (253) 583-5417

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • College prep
  • College preparatory
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • School-sponsored trips to college campuses
  • Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • In-district transp. only.
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Computer lab
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Anime club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor