Seattle, WA

Posted January 08, 2014
I am a parent of 2 current students at Lafayette Elementary. Both love the school. Parental involvement is very high. The teachers are great, most with years of experience - it shows. It is an excellent elementary school.

Lafayette Elementary School 4

Posted October 18, 2013
Cool school in a walking neighborhood. Love, love love our 1st (Ms. Rowlette) and 3rd (Ms. Bell) grade teachers.

Posted May 17, 2013
We love our school! We have great teachers and awesome parents. I wish we have better principal.

Posted April 28, 2013
honestly after 2 kids going from k-5 at Lafayette and seeing the unfortunate leadership changes - I would say a lesser school wouldn't have made it through the over crowding and repopulating of the school. The glue that holds this school together is the parents - supper concerned and supportive. There are experienced and highly dedicated teachers. We only had 2 in 12 that weren't great. Kids learn what they should in a supportive community.

Posted April 07, 2013
We have a kindergarten student who started at Lafayette this past fall. The school faculty and PTA have been nothing short of welcoming, genuine and professional. We've been very pleased with our daughter's teacher and, although disappointed that the leadership is changing, I don't fault the school for this. If you read through these reviews the most frequent negative comment is about a principal that hasn't been there for over a year. It's really not right that out-dated information is negatively impacting the ratings for such a fantastic school. We consider ourselves very fortunate to be assigned to such a great school and I can honestly say we haven't come across one case of "elitism". A school is as good as you make it. Reach out and be involved and you will have a better experience.

Lafayette Elementary School 2

Posted February 17, 2013
I am a grandmother of a child who will enter Kindergarten in the Fall and lives in Lafayette's neighborhood school area. I understand the school has undergone a leadership crisis over the last couple years with one Principal after another, the current one leaving soon. I was distressed at some reviews. Comment on lots of bullying, but in particular one or more comments indicating an elitist attitude: it's our school and if you don't like it as is, you may go elsewhere. What on earth is this? I hope it is not a majority view. Lafayette could use some attitude adjustment and people wotj power like the PTSA need to welcome new people and listen with an open mind to concerns. The school needs to fit the children, not the reverse. It is PUBLIC. It does not sound an appealing place to send a 5 year old if a couple of the comments reflect parental attitudes.

Lafayette Elementary School 1

Posted January 09, 2013
Where do I start... 1.We were told in 1st and 2nd grade to study for the MAP test so we can boost the school score. They provide websites with similar problems. 2.Our teachers (aside from our young 1st grade teacher)seem burned out and have no emotion with the students. 3.My wife (who assists in the classroom often) is frustrated with their lesson plans. 4.My son who ace s his spelling test is not allow to receive harder words. 5.Bullying is everywhere and they dont have resources to monitor over 500 students. 6.They have been through 3 principals in 1-2 years. 7. I have a feeling that the spectrum program is the reason for the high scores. Without those stuednets, the school would rank low. Do yourselves a favor and look into private school or Alki or Schmitz park.

Posted January 05, 2012
Lafayette is a GREAT school, so what's with all the 1 star ratings? I could understand a few low scores... you can't please everyone. But the volume of '1 star' ratings here smacks of an organized attack by a single person or small group. I have 2 daughters attending Seattle public schools. The oldest went to a different elementary school. She recently attended the science fair at Lafayette with her younger sister and she expressed amazement at the superior community participation and sophistication of projects at Lafayette. Then she absolutely fell in love with the 'Harry Potter' themed class room. By the end of the night she was literally upset, because while she had enjoyed her own elementary school experience, seeing Lafayette had made her a bit jealous. Check out the school for yourself. If you're sending your kids to school for a quality education Lafayette is an excellent choice. Our youngest loves the school. And as a parent I love seeing her score well above average on state assessments.

Posted June 21, 2011
Yes, not every school is a good fit for every kid. But, to blame Lafayette for the over-enrollment or District-wide problems is un-informed. Nothing would make the staff and parents happier than having less kids at the school. But, the principal has nothing to do w/ enrollment. Yet, given the huge burden of an extra 110 students, she has done an amazing job. It's true she's not 'touchy-feely', but she fights for every penny she can get from the District to improve the experience our kids have there. I can only hope the new principal fights as hard! I have one kid in and one not in Spectrum. Kids rarely talk about it, nor do the teachers or staff. A few parents talk about it, but the Spectrum program represents only 1/3 of the school. It does not define the school. I have been at the school for 6 years - it's a wonderful school, w/ great parent involvement. My kids have never had any disciplinary action taken against them, and any shift in the discpline I would attribute to the Asst. Principal (who is also leaving). The majority of the teachers are top notch. In fact, one of their 2nd grade teachers (a non-Spectrum teacher), is one of the BEST in the District!

Lafayette Elementary School 1

Posted May 29, 2011
disappointing, disappointing, disappointing. lucky enough to be able to withdraw and enroll elsewhere. seattle public schools are awful and lafayette is no exception.

Lafayette Elementary School
2645 California Av SW, Seattle, WA  98116
Last modified Lafayette Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lafayette Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 41 reviews. Top