Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Nathan Hale High School
Grateful to: School leader

Posted September 19, 2015
Jill Hudson is the best principle a school could ask for. She cares about every student and makes sure they're getting the best expirience they possibly can

Posted September 19, 2015
As a freshmen I was scared going to hale, I thought it was a gang school and a lot of my friends were going to Roosevelt so I was worried about socializing. My opinion immediately changed and I suddenly had a great group of friends both from the school volleyball team and just meeting people in class. The teachers are all so nice but they still push us to be the best we can. I know hale has a different curriculum than most schools and it does make a difference. In 9th grade having block classes made homework management a lot easier and yet I feel like I learned more than I have ever before . Everyone was so friendly, the upperclassmen were not scary at all and the overall vibe of the school is so positive. Amazing place, I feel really lucky to go here

Nathan Hale High School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
I personally like this school. I'm currently coming back as a junior, and my experience as a sophomore was quite exceptional. I wasn't pleased with the freshman that year, too many annoying freshmen cliques. I sincerely hope that the incoming freshmen this school year are gonna be at least a bit better than the freshmen last school year, but hearing that most kids are coming from Eckstein, I highly doubt any improvement is gonna happen. I agree there are at least a handful of students suffer from marijuana use but I know for sure that half of them have quit their habits. So drug use won't be a huge issue. Most of the teachers know what their doing and are familiar in their field. My freshman history teacher, Teacher Ted, being a Harvard grad and all, is AMAZING at his field. As a former student of his, I found his class quite challenging, and I love it. There are a ton of other teachers who are quite similar to him, as well. The counseling is superb as well. I know kids who suffered depression and got help from the counselors and the school nurse, and the outcome was incredible. They are now more positive and joyful. Hale is an amazing school, despite the annoying freshies.

Posted July 21, 2013
My daughter finished her freshman year at Hale this spring, and our entire family was pleasantly surprised by the school s quality. Because Hale doesn't have the academic reputation as its neighbor a few miles south, we were concerned our APP-qualified daughter wouldn't be challenged enough; but in talking with friends whose kids attend the "other" school as well as other parents at Hale, we feel the culture and curriculum at Hale were probably MORE challenging and stimulating (critical thinking is emphasized and interdisciplinary work is commonplace). We have heard graduates laud Hale for its ability to prepare students for college, and we now understand why this might be the case. Our daughter did have a couple of marginal teachers, but the rest were good to excellent, and the marginal ones were receptive to feedback. Beyond academics, we LOVE that Hale faculty and administration work hard to develop a culture of respect and appreciation for differences. Sure, some cliquishness remains, but it seems to be less than at other schools. On most days my daughter comes home excited about school and life, and she has even reported being proud of [her] school multiple times.

Posted June 16, 2013
Nathan Hale is a reflection of its staff. For the most part, they are caring, involved and really seem to have the best interests of individual students in their hearts. The student body is diverse. I was hoping my daughter would learn about other cultures from the Somalis, Kenyans, Germans, Tajikastanians, etc. and understand different points of views. But she ignored my advise and made great friends, ignoring skin color, race, country of origin, and political views. The principal, sets a supportive, friendly, but no nonsense tone. She has a great sense of humor and eyes on the back of her head. Creative, organized and smart, Spanish Teacher, MM will get even my language-challenged child to speak, sing and/or act in Espanol. Coach CS will have your slug of an offspring running a couple of miles every day and loving it. Ms. R Algebra 2, created real-life-example worksheets with my daughters name subtly included. Mr E Physics, a great teacher of lifetime learning, not only takes inner city kids to tide pools on the Peninsula, but also heads the robotics team. Improvements? School District in a more supportive role. Not policing or money pit.

Posted April 22, 2013
I went to this school for four years. I was there before and after the remodel and I can honestly say I am a very successful student because of it. I am currently a sophomore at a top rated college and I have been getting A's in all of my classes. The thing about Nathan Hale is that it prepares you for life, not just academics. It might not exceed state standards but it teaches students how to become adults. I haven't had t go home to see my parents in two years because I matured so much in high school. I believe Nathan Hale had a say in that. I have a great relationship with my family but I am out in the world and not a child anymore. Hale taught me that. If you want amazing academics, you will forfeit life learning opportunities.

Posted August 15, 2010
Great school its the best out there. don't waste your time on other schools. i switched my son out of shoreline school district; Shorewood just to see how he would do and he has done the best job ever! Shorewood wasn't very divers and didn't care much about African American kids . Now at hale he has scholarships coming in. this school really tends to African American kids. I made a switch and my son and i love Hale! I had second thoughts about it because my oldest son didnt do so well there. But the new principal is great.

Posted February 28, 2010
This school is great, I recomend the new Mock Trial club that has just started it is loads of fun.

Posted January 14, 2010
This is the best school. I love it, the teachers are great and fun. I live in ballard and i made the decision to commute everyday and i have never regreted my decison.

Nathan Hale High School 4

Posted October 18, 2009
My child started at Hale this year. Our observations are that the teachers are better than average in quality. The (new) principal Jill Hudson is outstanding. Test scores are high. Academics are rigorous. There are some issues though: some racial tension, more than average amount of students with behavior problems (IMO), no separate honors classes, only a handful of AP classes, and rampant marijuana use. Not sure if this is typical of all urban high schools or unique to this school? Overall though, a great school. Teachers know every student well. Tons of parent volunteers and fundraising. We are pleased thus far.

Nathan Hale High School
10750 30 Av NE, Seattle, WA  98125
Last modified Nathan Hale High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nathan Hale High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top