Posted September 16, 2014
We moved my son from the local public school to West Seattle Montessori when my son was in 4th grade. It was the best decision we've made. He is a unique individual and did not fit in with the mold the public school needed him to be in. This school challenges him academically but also allows him to work in his own special way. We are very pleased.

Posted June 10, 2014
We have been so extremely happy with West Seattle Montessori over the past 4 years. All 3 of our children are enrolled here (and will continue to be for years to come) and we have been so pleased with their growth. We have 2 in pre-primary (entering kindergarten) and 1 entering 2nd grade and it s a joy to see them smiling before and after school every day. Their confidence (emotional, educational, physical, social) continues to grow day after day which is, in part, a product of the system in place at WSMS. The teachers are smart, involved, loving and truly care for every child at the school not just those in their classrooms. The 10-1 student to teacher ratio also leads to the teachers being able to appropriately and consistently address each child s unique needs. Another huge win is the parental involvement which is beyond remarkable. Dozens of parents attend the monthly parent meetings, auctions are always exceeding goals, parents are constantly at the school helping kids read and learn. It s comforting to know our kids are so well taken care of, and that their futures are brighter because of the experiences they re having at such a young and impressionable age.

Posted February 14, 2012
What an incredible school! The teachers at West Seattle Montessori are experienced, caring, and committed. They provide a unique, student-centered experience for each child, following the principles of Maria Montessori. The administrator is a well-educated, well-informed young lady with great vision and passion for the school. Under her leadership the school has greatly expanded in the past few years. The facility is top-rate, with exceptional classroom materials, large classrooms, and excellent outdoor equipment. Parents are encouraged to participate in all school activities, and are routinely found in large numbers at school events. Last week my wife and I attended the all-school play. The play's directed stated that she was thrilled to work for a school that continues to value the arts and makes the arts an integral part of the curriculum. I couldn't have said it better myself. Our five year old is already reading and has a number sense well beyond her years. Our three year old is learning independence as well as practical social skills. I can't imagine a better school for pre-schoolers through eighth grade. (I know the 6-8 grades have aligned to the Common Core).

Posted January 29, 2012
WSMS is the most wonderful little community. The small class sizes, the amazing staff. There is an emphasis on compassion and respect for others, respect for yourself and your environment. The Montessori method of learning to read is so failproof and easy, I'm such a fan. We fretted so much about where to send our Son, and feel like we made the best decision ever.

Posted June 11, 2011
We have 2 kids here and I can not say enough about the teachers. We LOVE this school. Our daughter's have taken off with reading and math skill I did not know were posable from a 7 year old. If you are thinking about a change or a new school for your pre- K to 8th grader check them out you will be won over from your first meeting !!!

Posted May 18, 2011
I love West Seattle Montessori School & Academy! My child has benefited greatly by the DEDICATED staff and CARING leadership. We are so HAPPY to have a new school home at WSMS & WSA. As I pick up the monthly administrative letter, I see so many wonderful things happening--kids returning from Washington D.C., students going on class overnight trips, parent teas, community outreach opportunities, plant sale, and so much more! The list goes on and on. I just can't wait to have more children, so I can send to this school!

Posted March 30, 2011
I have two kids at West Seattle Montessori. As there are really only two options in West Seattle which go from prek-8, are private, and non-religious, I was very interested in both. I am pleased with where we ended up because the new young, energetic director is determined, the parents are enthusastic, the kids wonderful, and it seems to be getting better and better. I feel I am part of somethiing great.

Posted March 29, 2011
We started our kids at West Seattle Montessori when it was at its' old location. The new move and new ownership has been fantastic for many reasons: all the kids (ages 3-14) are under one roof with new student family programs creating a big school community feeling; the teachers have always been amazing and now there are even more teachers who have been hired (art teacher, science instructor, Spanish and PE teacher in addition to a dedicated Sign language teacher and fantastic music and drama teacher); the new ownership has inspired a school wide Virtues project, and community outreach monthly (just google West Seattle Montessori & Academy to see all the amazing things we've done!), as well as delicious whole foods lunch with FareStart catering lunches weekly. The parent community is highly involved not because they are required to but because they want to. I cannot speak highly enough about a school that has for years flown under the radar.....

West Seattle Montessori 1

Posted March 09, 2011
When we first started at West Seattle Montessori, the school was under different management, and was well-run. I have been quite dismayed with the changes that have taken place in the past 2 years. There is a serious failure to support a culture of respect and safety for the students. Behavioral problems are overlooked and it is detrimental to the learning environment, as well as the mental/emotional health of the other students. Attempts at parental intervention have been in vain, and my child is one in a series of students that have left for these reasons (per conversations with parents of these students). The positive: The academic program is very good, and the drama program is amazing.

West Seattle Montessori 1

Posted May 30, 2010
The new location has meant a longer commute (although there is a bus) and bigger class sizes. There are a lot of kids with behavior problems like hitting, biting, spitting and I don't see the school taking any real action to curb this type of behavior, if anything it seems to be getting worse. We have had so many letters home about why our daughter has been hurt which never happened in previous years. Needless to say, we won't be returning next year. Location is dodgy and I feel like we are constantly being nickel and dimed. On the plus side, there are some excellent teachers, particularly Mr. and Mrs. Clark who used to run the school. They also have a strong drama program and sign language which my daughter really enjoys.

West Seattle Montessori
11215 15th Ave SW , Seattle, WA  98126
Last modified West Seattle Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
West Seattle Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top