Bad
Good

We left after three years. The first two years, we had great teachers (one who has left for another elementary.) The third year, our child was not challenged and she was bullied. She started to say "I hate school" almost every day. We received no response from the teacher or Principal Elliot when we emailed about either of these concerns. At the end of the school year, we moved our child to another public elementary with the Spectrum program and have been happy with the Staff and community there.

If u go to this school I hope you are religious cause you better pray your kid does not get bullied cause the principal won't do a thing except blame your kid and make you feel like a bad parent

My son has attended QA Elementary since the first year of it's inception. We decided to attend QAE, and live in Queen Anne, after meeting David Elliot, the principal. His vision and leadership drives excellence in this community of amazing teachers and staff. David created a school with a focus on technology - not just how the kids use it, but how we teach children with it. This school is on the forefront of teaching in the 21st century, and finding ways to engage generations of children who are learning differently from how we were raised. I think a healthy sign of any school or business is execution of the mission, and ask a child at this school what they stand for. I bet everyone can name at least one of the Five Pillars (We are self-directed learners We encourage each other to think critically and learn more We are concerned, confident and compassionate citizens of the world We learn everywhere, we learn together We are creative) This stems from amazing execution of great values. If you have a chance to attend this school, do it.

For the most part, QAE is a good school with brilliant, thoughtful, dedicated teachers who are engaging and who truly care for the kids. BUT I don't feel my child is safe there for many reasons. First, the bullying issue. When my child was hurt by another kid, I was told by the principal that my kid was being annoying and that is why the other kid hurt him. I was stunned. There was also a little boy who liked to tell girls he was going to kill them, and the girls were told to just stay away from him. On the opposite end, there seems to be favoritism when it comes to meting out accountability for bullying - a boy was once told he had to eat lunch in the hallway for a week because he was being too loud during lunch and it bothered one little girl (whose mom seems to be tightly integrated into the school). Most recently, the school removed passwords from many of the kids' online showcases (without parental consent) so ANYONE can see them even though Rule #1 for cybersecurity is don't ever give out personal info to a stranger! Now anyone has access to names, pictures, hobbies, locations, names of family members, etc. Thus the 1 Star rating.

Our son has gone to Queen Anne Elementary since the first year it opened. The principal is highly dedicated and his greatest strength is his ability to hire staff who are concerned, connected to their students, and foster a vision of excellence. As a teacher myself I think it's important to remind parents that every year and every student is different. When choosing a school try to find one where you feel comfortable. You will never find a school that fulfills every hope and whim. Personalities sometimes clash, no matter where you go. Growing up isn't easy, and elementary school is naturally a time when children learn about themselves and how to work with others. Behaviorally my son is in the middle somewhere. He isn't a problem, or an angel--just an average guy. Over the last five years he has sometimes struggled to find balance both academically and socially. But Queen Anne Elementary is a family within itself, and with the help of his fabulous teachers, he has learned to both persevere and thrive.

Our kid has gone here since 2nd -now in 5th. We're generally happy at QAE + have liked all her teachers except one. If your kid needs extra help, you need ID it early + be their educational advocate. Not much HW at QAE citing studies that argue its effectiveness. While hours might not be good, a bit of HW to reinforce learning is key. 5th grade does have a bit of HW. Most teachers want your kid to read 20+ mins/day. There's a lot of parent involvement. Lunch runs in 3 twenty minute shifts. Facilities a bit tired: a garden, small gym, covered climbing wall, outdoor basketball court, blacktop (sorry, no grass field), small salad bar at lunch, special ed, childcare, library. Also: blogs for everyone! After-school clubs vary but can incl: math for girls, math, chess, robotics, basketball, debate, art, and programming. I get what one reviewer said about bullying. My kid had a bully incident in 2nd gr + I felt the school didn't address it to my satisfaction. I reported it to the district + asked them to mediate. Almost everyone, incl parents, are friendly. (There's always 1 or 2 sour ones). Principal is dedicated, most teachers are great, curriculum is tech-focused + project-based.

Excellent, dedicated, well-trained teachers. A very active and supportive group of parents. Thoughtful and dedicated principal who is highly regarded by QAE staff, students and parents as well as by those from his previous school (Coe Elementary). Progressive in their approaches to educating with emphasis on math, science, technology, and project-based learning. Just wish state funding for public schools would dedicate budget to upgrade QAE facilities to match the caliber of their teachers/staff. Overall I highly recommend.

It's sad to rate a community school so poorly. We had high hopes for this school. The principal and teachers do not know how to deal with bullying. My sons were severely bullied here and the teacher told us that "he needs to learn to deal with bullies on his own." The principal told us that the students doing the bullying didn't have "a mean bone in their bodies." We didn't receive the items we purchased at the auction, even after numerous emails, and the principal and auction workers were extremely rude to us. My sons were in tears at the thought of going back to this school. Needless to say, we withdrew. I hope this school can improve their leadership and care for all students.

This school is amazing. The teachers really make this the best possible environment for learning. They are caring, patient and its clear that they come to work each day for the love of children and to make a difference. The principal goes above and beyond by taking an active role just like the teachers by meeting/talking with students regularly to see how he can improve the learning and overall school experience for the kids. I was fortunate to have a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grader at QAE last year..Teacher websites, kids blogs, and homework posted online= so convenient. Each of the teachers knew my kids from the other classes and I loved that the teachers are so open and approachable for my kids as well as parents I loved that I could walk into any of my kids classes at anytime and observe. Teacher websites, kids blogs, & homework posted online is awesome! From field trips on a sail boat and observing and learning about marine life, to an open library fostering a love for reading, or PE everyday (my kids now can unicycle) it is the all around family at QAE that make this an fabulous place for any child to grow and learn.

Wonderful administration and excellent teachers make this alternative public school stand out from the rest. New this year and still working through things like curriculum plans as an alternative school, but staff is committed and community is very supportive. Large class sizes as in other public schools.

Last modified Queen Anne Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.