No rating

The Evergreen School

Private | PK-8 | 44 students

Living in Shoreline

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $259,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $990.

Posted June 14, 2014

We have two kids in Evergreen. We chose it despite great options closer to home because of the focus on social and emotional intelligence, the expansive campus, and the general sense of humility and warmth from faculty and staff. Truth be told, It didn't hurt that some very prominent families with unlimited choices made the same decision. As for areas for improvement, I do wish they had a high school offering and I have heard that the amount of homework could be increased (though the students seem very bright and well ahead of where I was as a young chap).

Posted January 27, 2014

Our son is in middle school at Evergreen and we have been very pleased with the new administrators and teachers at Evergreen. The direction that the school is taking currently builds on the strengths of the past and seeks to improve on any weaknesses - whether real or perceived. We are very pleased with the academics, as well as the social and emotional component at the school. The diversity challenges of the past within the parent community (not the school) seem to have improved dramatically within recent years. We highly recommend the Evergreen School for the highly capable student.

Posted May 8, 2013

My son has been at Evergreen since kindergarten, and I have to say that despite the many changes that have occurred in the last few years it has all been for the greater good. We now have a fantastic new school head, a wonderful new primary division head, new teachers that have replaced those who were ready to retire, and overall, a new, positive energy that translates to the kids. My son's intellectual growth has been stimulated, he is learning how to learn, how to ask questions, how to think critically, but as important, his social and emotional growth has been nurtured. I have to say, that with a couple of exceptions, the kids are kind, warm-hearted and accepting. I really think it's due to the emphasis placed on empathy and awareness of the many differences among families. If you want a school where kids are taught how to think and how to become good, solid people, Evergreen is the place.

Posted May 7, 2013

We're in our first year but are so pleased with the care and concern staff have shown towards our student and our family. We feel welcomed and we are confident our son is learning in a way that is fun and exciting. If you can swing it, this is an amazing school where children are loved and valued. If he can't be with me, this is the next best place for him.

Posted March 24, 2013

Our son has been at Evergreen for 2 years and our other son is about to enroll next year. All we can say is he has really blossomed there and they've brought out his talents to a really amazing level while keeping him grounded, emotionally and socially confident, and passionate about his unique interests. I can't say for sure that's all because of Evergreen but I can say he loves it there, we love his teachers, we love their campus, and his classmates are all brilliant yet friendly, sincere, and fun loving. I've gone to some very fancy schools back east in my day and wish I had gone to Evergreen. Highly Recommend this place!

Posted July 15, 2012

Global Study Program is one of the best activities school offers. My concern is that they go to the areas that have malaria. Nobody gets seriously sick usually and very high chances that it is a thrilling experience for students. Though most kids do go through abdominal problems once they are on the trip. Evergreen school might be ahead of other schools with globalization of student's experience, attention to what is going on in the world, self reflection and awareness. I just do not understand why to do this through exposure students to the dangers such malaria, enteroviruses and parasitic diseases. Mostly nobody knows much about the depths of all dangers of the Asian lands, nobody seems to want to think much about it. All preparation to the trip concentrates on what teachers know well, like teaching students about history, language and culture. Most parents are comfortable to sign their kids to go "to see more" since in the previous years it all went fine. Kids in some way are put in the situation to "follow the crowd" since all 8th grade goes. If you are uncomfortable letting your child go, the child will be in the position of white crow, an outcast.

Posted June 26, 2012

This has been a painfully disappointing finish for us. The other children and some of the math teachers are the last redeeming qualities. The school seems to have lost focus, become only moderately demanding, at best, and somewhat dropped the ball in communication. When our first child was there it was clearly a school for gifted children, but the staff doesn't seem to have kept up on their research. In two years our second child has done very little writing and has received no meaningful feedback on the little that has been assigned. The bright spot is an energetic math teacher who actually enjoys children. The PE program is a bit like Lord of the Flies. Parents of sensitive children should beware.

Posted May 17, 2012

We love everything about this school. Our daughter loves school and doesn't want to miss a moment of it. Excellent academics with wonderful attention to social emotional learning. This school successfully nurtures kindness and comraderie among kids. Fantastic, dedicated teachers and staff. Leadership of school is consistently excellent. Diversity is truly valued and celebrated here.

Posted May 14, 2012

As a student that attended Evergreen, I have to say it was one of the best experiences in my life. There is a huge emphasis on community and social-emotional development. The school, (when I first started in 2nd grade in 2005,) was incredible. Now however, the director of admissions has left, there is a new principal, and a lot of the best teachers are gone. I would definitely recommend Evergreen though. They also put a LARGE emphasis on saving the environment. Your child will become a very earth-friendly person. I must say, even thought tuition is through-the-roof. It is WELL worth it. And the technology? Incredible. Every student 4th-8th grade gets a high tech touch screen laptop. There are 5 technology specialists. And the school has solar panels. It is a very modern, earth friendly, expensive school; but it is INCREDIBLE. I would DEFINITELY send my child there.

Posted March 8, 2012

Best decision ever. Though it's only been one year since my son(2nd grade) joined the school, he wakes up every morning wanting to go to school and that speaks a lot for me about the school. Staff are excellent and very supportive. Sense of community is very strong with parents & staff and you feel very welcome & inclusive.

Posted November 17, 2011

I LOVE The Evergreen School. it is the best school for any kid my daughter and son go there and have no problems with any kids in their grade or above. I recommend this school to any one and their children!

Posted November 17, 2011

I am a current student at The Evergreen School, and I cannot say how much I love it. I have so many amazing teachers who not only see me through the process of learning all of the academic aspects of school, but nurture me and help me out with everything as I go. I am not ashamed to say that my teachers are some of my good friends, and I know I can trust them with anything. Every teacher at the school will find a way to make every student learn in the best possible environment, and they will make every allowance for the learning curve of everyone. Should I be struggling with a certain concept, my math teacher will take time out of her day to sit down and teach it to me a different way. I know all the other teachers at the school would do the same if I needed it. I feel safe at the school. I love it there.

Posted October 22, 2011

I am a more than satisfied Evergreen alum. Out of my 8th grade class of ~24, there were 9 National Merit Semi-finalists. Furthermore, 3 kids went on to Yale, 1 went on to Princeton, and 1 went on to Stanford. With its advanced math and science curriculum, Evergreen expertly prepared me for both graduate and medical school.

Posted September 18, 2011

With each year we're away from Seattle and Evergreen, our respect and appreciation for Evergreen, and what it did for our children, grows. This school is amazing, and those involved are fortunate to be a part of it. What Evergreen does (and it's so rare in our education system) is encourages and supports kids in running with their passions. If you really care about preparing your child to do well in the twenty-first Century, Evergreen provides an outstanding educational experience.

Posted July 1, 2011

Deeply disappointing. The Evergreen experience set our bright, 'gifted' son on a path of "hating school" which we're still struggling to reverse. Despite a terrific student-teacher ratio, we never had a teacher who "got" out son and appreciated him. One bright spot was the parent community. We (and our child) have made long-time friendships from the years he attended. But, the classroom experience left a lot to be desired.

Posted November 28, 2010

My children spent 4 years at Evergreen. The language and humanities programs were good. However, for the price tag you should seriously consider the APP program in Seattle first. Evergreen does not offer anything as challenging as APP. Also, the math and science are below standard. If your child tests into the APP program save your money. Also, be prepared to see serious behavior problems at Evergreen. The staff seems unable or unwilling to remove bullies or enforce acceptable classroom behavior.

Posted June 20, 2010

Evergreen is a nurturing community where the focus is on students' social and emotional development as well as academic excellence. The school uses positive discipline to foster great communication and problem solving, and the staff really knows each child and their family. Our child is thriving there!

Posted June 10, 2010

Our appreciation of Evergreen has grown immensely over our seven years of involvement. Our highly capable son had struggled to build friendships in the very good public school he had previously attended. His teachers at Evergreen immediately went to work on building his self confidence while engaging and challenging him intellectually. Today, my son races to school where he happily interacts with his many friends and enthusiastically embraces the rigorous curriculum. The parent group is wonderfully intelligent and diverse. This is a school that does many things well and continually pushes itself to improve.

Posted May 28, 2010

Evergreen has a 50 year history of gifted education. As a parent and former student I have watched it grow and improve. Among the many things it does well is provide individualized education is areas where student achievement can be variable (like math), and create a rich and stimulating environment. Every student studies a language. Every student participates in drama and music. The students really love school. Sometimes I wish it was more "hardcore." My 4th grader doesn't have homework every night! But then I realize these are the professional educators and probably are better than me at finding the right balance that won't burn my kid out in elementary school. Even thought I am an alum, we looked at the other comparable schools -- UCDS, Seattle Country Day, etc. We are very, very satisfied.

Posted May 23, 2010

excellent school. loving, filled with accepting gifted children and a very in-depth curricculum. The middle school is the best part, however, with an amazing art program and fantastic teachers. Not too small, not too big. Will get your kids started for highschool and beyond. In 8th grade, the grade goes on a month long trip to a third world country, usaully vietnam, doing charity work and exploring. What a fantastic experience! The Evergreen school is also a green school, having won a Green Globe award for thier enviormental stewardship merits. Students will learn, through hard work and experience, how to be enviormentally conscious, successful, and much more.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 10% 7%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab