Tacoma, WA
Students enrolled: 1,464

Posted May 02, 2014
If the student wants Rigor it's at Mount Tahoma. If the student doesn't want AP they can put it off until Senior year. The school offers AP and College credit classes in just about every subject. The best example is the High School PreCalculus/Calculus teacher has his program accredited from Central Washington University so students earn 5 college credits from Central for PreCalculus. This is huge because it opens 90% of the majors at the university level. This is just one of over a dozen examples. The best part about this school is the students! We moved my daughter when bullied at the North End High School because she was not a Barbie, she is however, a very pretty young lady and very nice to everyone. The students at Mt. Tahoma have such a diverse ethnic heritage they all accept each other. The Multiculture event is huge and everyone supports each other and compliments one another. The culture at Mt. Tahoma promotes groups and clubs and getting involved. They also promote academics and have at least five different college programs: TRiO, CSF, College Bound, Pacific Culture Outreach Program, and a couple of others my daughter told me about but I forgot what they are called.

Mt Tahoma 5

Posted September 11, 2011
I think Mount. tahoma is a good school considering somethings that have gone on here. I really enjoy the JROTC program and i recommend it to other students to join it. GO T-BIRDS!

Posted July 06, 2011
I attended the new school for 4 years. I really enjoyed my time there. The staff was amazing and the teachers are really nice and yes, they do care whether or not you learn. That being said, the college prep and education in general is below standard. I was easily a 4.0 student with minimal studying. Toughest class I took? Honors chemistry and that wasn't even that hard. I moved onto the Running Start program at a community college and enjoyed it a lot more (and that wasn't even on par with university level education, but hey, it was free and it was more challenging). Enjoyed the school, not the level of education.

Posted March 06, 2009
I went to Mount Tahoma from 04-08. For all the parents that say that the students will enter college not knowing what to do and what not are wrong! I am going to WSU and doing fine. I have a 3.2 GPA where as at MT I had a 3.65. I love that school and it made me want to become a teacher. Thus I'm majoring in mathematics and hoping to become a math teacher at Mount Tahoma in a few years.

Mt Tahoma 5

Posted November 30, 2007
Mount Tahoma is the best school i've ever attended. Mount Tahoma has gorgeous campus. i attended at there for my sophomore year and unfortunately i had to move the school. a bit of homework but not too bad and there's no pressure. it's like almost small society. I'm really glad that i've attended school. nicest teachers around me and joyful memory. 'T-bird Power is justified!'

Mt Tahoma 3

Posted May 29, 2007
This is a beautiful school although very little homework and direction is given. My daughter is a freshman taking honors math and never has homework! The teachers seem to have little control over the classes and students do what they want. It is more of a social gathering rather than an academic learning environment. Very frustrating as a parent as these kids will have a real wake up call when entering collage with no solid study habits.

Posted January 11, 2007
School lacks class selection or stimulation for kids. Result kids are bored, no homework, and not learning. Lack of class structure & curriculum. Very poor education in the technical areas.

Posted March 30, 2006
Quality of academic programs, Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities, Level of parent involvement

Posted January 16, 2006
The school is brand new, opening in 2004, and so physically it is clean and beautiful. However, they seemed to have spend all their money on the school and left none for school supplies. There are virtually no books, paper, any type of supplies and therefore my daughter receives no homework and is often times bored with her classes. I asked that she be placed in honors classes and still it is not challenging enough to keep her interest. Test scores for this school are low and they do not push the students as much as they could. Staff is pleasant, but is greatly lacking in strong organization and serious learning techniques.

Posted August 20, 2005
Modern new school. Offers alot of programs, but are not followed through. Needs tough guide lines for students and staff. Low parent involvement, and low teacher communications to family.

Mt Tahoma
6229 South Tyler St, Tacoma, WA  98409
Last modified Mt Tahoma is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mt Tahoma Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top