Union Gap, WA

Union Gap School 5

Posted September 16, 2014
I used to attend this school and I really adored it. All my teachers were really nice and took their time trying to help all us kids with our education. They let people stay before and after school to get help. I don't know about all of the other things people are saying. But I would definitely recommend this school. It is my safe place.

Union Gap School 3

Posted August 07, 2010
I'm an ex-student from Union Gap School, I went there from 2nd to 8th grade and I honestly don't know how most of these rumors came about. I've been visiting and working there off and on throughout my high school career and the things that people have been posting are mostly absurd. It seems like there are a lot of misinformed parents and a lot of students wanting to make things up about my school. Dances are full supervised, by both parents, AND teachers. They are only available for 6th to 8th graders (Middle School) and the music isn't as loud as what people seem to be saying. Yes it's loud; but so loud it causes permanent hearing loss? Not even. And I agree with some of you, a few of the teachers there are under appreciated, while others are overly praised. Oh, the principal teaches math, just so you know.

Posted June 27, 2010
My children attend this school. The class sizes are so large because half of the students live out side of the district. Some children are expected to teach their peers and grade peer papers, often grading incorrectly. The grounds look like a prison yard, as this is the only grade school to employ a fulltime police officer to patrol the school. It has security cameras over every inch of the property and really no place for the children to play, at least not any place that isn't fenced-in blacktop. The administration makes no attempt to lower the class room sizes. If you value a good education for your child, look at the other local school stats and choose the school that has lower student to teacher ratios. Unfortanately, this is the only school in the district and surrounding districts, do not accept students outside of their district. Administration should be re-evaluated.

Posted June 15, 2010
This school was a fairly good school a few years back. It has since changed, for the worse. I have three children that attend this school. The school administration really ignores child safety. They have policies in place that they do not follow. Administration tends to talk down to the parents, as if they are delinquent juveniles. There is an attitude that exudes from the staff that this is just a baby-sitting job and please don't bother me because I have more more to do than to listen to your concerns. Promoting parent involvement is just in words and not truly practiced or desired by staff. There are some good staff at this school but the admin leaves a lot to be desired.

Union Gap School 4

Posted May 02, 2010
Union Gap School is a very good school it may have some flaws but what school doesn't? So before you start judging maybe you should see for yourselves. As for your children if they don't like and you dont like it maybe you should move them to a different school but good luck trying to find a better schoolthan this one!!!

Union Gap School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
Union Gap School personnel disappoint me because they do not seem to be working for the welfare of the children but only their own paychecks. Every time that I as a parent try to interact with the school in a positive manner, they act like they don't appreciate parents around. Sometimes they are downright nasty. Some of the teachers are good and some are not so good. A little respect and good manners go a long ways. My hope is that my children will be able to attend a private school next year. Public schools in the Yakima Valley just don't seem to be doing a good job with the students.

Union Gap School 3

Posted April 16, 2010
This school is like home. Of course, it has a few problems with bullying, but every school does. And the dances are not as bad as others have led you to believe. They are for 6th grade-8th grade (middle school) and it is supervised. There was at least 10 adults supervising, also. So, don't judge the school if you haven't spent enough time there to decide for yourself.

Posted April 12, 2010
The Union Gap School building is nice and new but school officials do their best to make parents feel unwelcome on school grounds. There does not seem to be any type of functioning parent teacher organization. School board meetings don't include parent participation either. Parent teacher conferences are held during the day so that parents cannot attend. Parents need to be able to hold the Union Gap School accountable for things they do with our children. My children talk about how teachers tell kids to 'shut up.' They also talk about the rudeness of school officials when giving them instructions. This is not acceptable behavior for so called 'professionals.'

Union Gap School 0

Posted March 21, 2010
As a grandmother of students at Union Gap School, I am shocked to hear about all of the bullying going on there. Why can't the people in charge stop this type of emotionally damaging behavior. I would think that the teachers would just kick the kids doing the bullying out of class and not let them back in until an agreement is signed between the bully, the parents, and administration. Public school has really changed since I was a student many years ago. The community back then would never have put up with this bullying nonsense since it seriously distracts from the learning that is supposed to be going on.

Union Gap School 5

Posted August 04, 2008
I have 4 kids in school at Union Gap. I have never been happier with a school or its staff. Union Gap is very family oriented and I would recommend it to anyone as a great school.

Union Gap School
3200 South 2nd St, Union Gap, WA  98903
Last modified Union Gap School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Union Gap School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top