University Place, WA
Students enrolled: 1,389

Curtis Senior High School 4

Posted August 13, 2014
As I read the reviews of Curtis High School and the overall University Place school district, I couldn't help but seek out the rating of Bellevue which seems to be the UP equivalent. I wasn't surprised to see them ranked a 7 - only a point higher. Scanning the reviews, same statements made by upset parents - all athletics, administration isn't doing their job. Honestly, the biggest difference I saw was that parents are far more involved with the school. I think as a community if we do less complaining and more volunteering of our time we would see proactive changes in the areas we are concerned about. My kids have been in the UP district since Kindergarten and have had an outstanding experience. From Chambers Primary through the advanced placement program at Narrows, and now onto the Jr. High and High School, I am excited for them both grow further over the next few years. Thanks for doing such an amazing job thus far UP!

Curtis Senior High School 1

Posted May 12, 2014
I am rating this school district as a whole in stead of this high school. In fact this high school is a victim of failed policy engineered by the school district to fail elite students. This school district is located in the most elite student population in South Sound. The quality of the students is similar to that of Bellevue school district. The school district's policy is amazingly good at holding back elite students. If your kid is exceptionally good at math or science, the district is not helping. They will ask you to go to private school instead without even looking at their failed policy. Their graduation raking is by pure GPA which means if a student takes all very easy classes and get 4.0, that student will be honored as academically top student. The school district just doesn't encourage student to take advanced classes with this failed policy. Do not send your kids there. This school district is a joke.

Curtis Senior High School 2

Posted January 25, 2014
All three of my children went through Curtis HS. My two daughters excelled at sports, while my son did not participate in athletics. Athletics at Curtis was very well run and they had great coaches. Mathematics however was horrible. The teachers did not teach lessons well and then would be unavailable for questions to clarify the lessons for the kids. Many times throughout the year, long standing Curtis HS math teachers would be gone and replaced by substitutes, severely disrupting any possible continuity in teaching plans. TCurtis was trying out Integrative math at the time my kids went through, which completely neutralized the parents in trying to assist their kids in learning math. In turn, out kids were ver unprepared for college level math, with two requiring remedial level college math (sub-100 level). I think the schools scores in math related subject confirm this, when Curtis is compared to the other schools in WA state. What is needed is for Curtis to get serious about providing an education to our children, including looking at replacing some of these teachers that do not have a clue on how to teach, and replace them with new teachers with the desire to teach.

Curtis Senior High School 1

Posted April 05, 2013
i graduated several years ago. there is a lot of cliques among students and rude/obnoxious kids who bully easy targets while others are indifferent to just sit and watch without telling the teachers. I don't know about now but back then they only offered basic classes and I didn't think much of it then until i found out some of other high schools offer design, computer science and even accounting class I give one star because some staffs in administration office were nice and attentive to what students had to say.

Curtis Senior High School 2

Posted April 05, 2013
Now that i'm graduated from an university with people from diverse backgrounds I have doubts about what people in Pierce county had to say about CHS as a academically thriving school. well i think it's because it's surrounded by even worst ones in tacoma and lakewood. I found many CHS grads incompetent once they advance into 4-year universities and lag behind others from different schools. CHS puts too much emphasis on athletics and makes those who aren't involved in sports feel like an outcast. Don't send your kids here. There are much better high schools out there in Bellevue and Issaquah school districts.

Curtis Senior High School 4

Posted October 10, 2010
School provides many good opportunities in academics, music, theater, and sports. Some superb teachers, a few disasters, most very good. District superintendent Patti Banks caves to bigots and has an adversarial stance in dealing with parents; needs to be replaced.

Curtis Senior High School 0

Posted February 07, 2010
I currently attend cHS, coming from lakes. I have to say that curtis is a greay school. the teachers are outstanding and they teach so that you can understand what is being taught. Curtis is a harder school than lakes but the more complicated the work, the more your student will be prepared for college. CHS is wonderful and I recommend it to any parent who wants their child to graduate from high school with the best education offered from any public school.

Posted November 05, 2009
Great, school. Great teachers, great curriculum and a great neighborhood.

Posted November 01, 2009

Posted October 21, 2009

Curtis Senior High School
8425 40th West, University Place, WA  98466
Last modified Curtis Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Curtis Senior High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top