Buckhannon Upshur High School 4

Posted October 02, 2013
My school is fine. In the other reviews people said stuff about fighting and a tardy policy. Both of those are not true anymore. There still are fights but a 'fight' lasts like 10 seconds before broken up. There is not a ton of fights and usually they are about couples and their relationships and other stupid things like that. It's a quiet peaceful town with not a lot of violence and crime if u are in the right areas. The westtest2 scores on here are completely irrelevant. The reason the are so bad is because more than half of students don't try on it because it doesn't effect them. All it does is make our school look really bad. We have a pretty nice school building. It's a little old but we just got a new gym floor, library, and they are in the process of redoing the auditorium. Also we have a artificial turf football field, drivers Education course, swimming pool, tennis courts, FFA barn(future Farmer's of America), baseball field, cross country course, rubberized track, and we are very close to Fred Eberly Technical Center which offers a variety of courses that train students in particular skill so the can work straight from high school without college

Buckhannon Upshur High School 3

Posted October 02, 2013
My school is great for every thing except for preparing for the future. Also since at least half of the students here qualify for free/ reduced lunchs I don't think some people can afford to take tests like the ACT or SAT there used to be GEARUP that payed for some students first time taking the the test but now everyone does it on their own. The counselors here are really a waste of three jobs. They don't help with scholarships, test dates, college tours, college applications, or even emotional situations

Buckhannon Upshur High School 4

Posted October 02, 2013
I really love all of the extracurricular activities at school. Like I am in the FEA (future educators of America) and we just finished teachering students at the local middle school. We have been doing that for the past few days. Also I have a friend in the Fred W Eberle Technical Center nearby studying to be a nurse, and by the time we finish high school she will be a legal nurse. My school helps out a lot with people struggling to graduate like offering credit recovery classes and some summer school options. But it does lack tutoring, it's offered in the morning for math but for the students who don't drive to school and ride the scho buses it is impossible to make it to those. I do like having reward events all the students in the school who met some requirement get rewards occasionally. Also the school pep rally's durning school are always fun.

Posted January 05, 2011
Best school in the world. send your kids her for the best learning experience ever.

Buckhannon Upshur High School 0

Posted May 12, 2010
I love BU High School! But I have to agree with some comments below. I have 1 student in high school and one that has graduated. My college son has encountered time after time areas in which BU High School did not prepare him for college. He just finished his 3rd year in college. I also agree that they do not promote scholarship help as much as they should. And some of their disipline policies are totally rediculous, with adverse affects on students who really do try! And the list goes on and on. I am so glad my youngest son will graduate in 2013. Hopefully he can make it that long! So sorry for those that will be coming up to the high school behind him. Because it gets worse and worse everyday!

Posted April 22, 2009
I have two students in this school at the moment and have seen the school through both perspectives. There is no help for college prep or discussion with the counselors. They do not help with scholarship info. There is a new policy where students are sent to the auditorium when arriving at school late or tardy for a class. They are to remain there all day, How is this going to educate our kids? My kids are active in sports and have tried to be involved. I would expect more from a school system that is trying to improve drop out rates and test scores.

Posted March 16, 2009
I go to this school and the things i see and hear is ridiculous. Like the last review, our school food is horrible. That does not mean that you have to eat it. I never do and don't complain, because I'm doing two sports at once at this school and i don't get home until 6:30. I will give the teachers credit, we have some of the most disrespectful people. These people do not have proper work ethic nor do they pay attention half the time. The teachers here at this school try very hard, but it never works out due to the fact of the lack of discipline, lack of respect, and lack of pride in oneself. I've never watched as people constantly bicker and yell at the most childish and immature topics.At the beginning of the year, we were averaging at least 2 to 4 fights a day.

Buckhannon Upshur High School 5

Posted January 28, 2009

Buckhannon Upshur High School 5

Posted January 14, 2009
Great school! I have so many fond memories from the halls of B-UHS! My son graduated in 2007 and he had a great experience. He took all of the right classes (AP courses) and was involved in many activities. My daughter will graduate in 2010. She also is having a good experience and is taking challenging courses. Without a doubt, I believe Buckhannon Upshur is one of the best. The person who wrote the review below is right. Buckhannon has other places in other states beat. My brother lives in North Carolina and wishes his kids could go to a school like B-UHS. I have lives in Buckhannon all of my life and it is a wonderful community!

Buckhannon Upshur High School 0

Posted December 15, 2008
Some of what the first person said is true, school food is school food. But I think we need a state of emergency like Randolph county, there needs to be a house cleaning done on a lot of the staff, They show up to collect a pay check and give our kids nothing in return, no education or improper education for life after school. I know a lot of the kids drop out because it is so bad there that they just don't want to go and this is good kids, not the bad or unruly kids. I will say this I have been to 2 other states and had my children in there school systems, and Buckhannon does have them beat on a lot of things, but there is room for improvement. The teachers that have 25-50 years or more in need to retire.

Buckhannon Upshur High School
50 Buckhannonupshur Dr, Buckhannon, WV  26201
Last modified Buckhannon Upshur High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Buckhannon Upshur High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top