Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

South Jefferson has a great student-teacher ratio. My son's Kindergarten class ration is 10-1. His teacher is quite excellent and has a good handle on classroom management/discipline while incorporating fun and challenging learning activities. Additionally, the school instills a sense of community and advocates family involvement.

Like many schools and work environments, South has it's issues and we seemed to run into all of them. We left private school to expose our child to a more realistic peer learning environment only to find out the educational values the teachers we were assigned were dismal. Classrooms are noisy and undisciplined, with students distracting others during learning time. We tried our best to get involved to help teachers to provide a greater learning environment but there was no desire for improvement. We changed schools to find things can be very different with inspirational teachers. If things are not working out at this school, there are better schools in the county. I am sure there are good teachers in this school, we were not fortunate to have those.

I currently have one child at South Jefferson and also attended this school when I was a child. We love the staff. It feels like a family there and always has. Classrooms are overcrowded but this is at no fault of South Jefferson staff. The teachers do very well with what they have to work with and my sons learning is above average. Thank you to all employees of South! Keep up the good work! To those moving here from the city and having negative comments about our country schools....go back to the city!!!

This school does not teach math and the teachers are biased towards kids that have roots in the neighborhood. Most of the teachers seem to be a little backward and afraid of technology. They tested only 70 per-cent proficient in math. Check their westest scores and websites to get an idea of what I mean. If you value education, please find another school for your child.

I have been somewhat disappointed up until now. My child went to a private school for the first two years and, now in 1st grade, is repeating the work he did in Kindergarten. No foreign languages are offered in primary here and they only have physical education one day a week. He was also using computers in kindergarten but doesn't have access to them now at South Jefferson.

One can see that over three years time, views of SJE seem to be changing. I have my third child in SJE and while we found no better elementary school (Loudoun, private or otherwise) in 97-01, we find things quite different now. While there are some really great teachers, they seem to be farther and few between. The school is very overcrowded, which is the norm for this county at the present time.

This is not the kind of school to send your child to if you aren't expecting 'tough love', whether your kid needs it or not. The goal of each class is to pass tests. Not learn, not grow as human beings. Just stay quiet, pass tests, and leave the staff alone. After two weeks of this, I decided enough was enough, and pulled my kids. The office couldn't have cared less.

School was a disappointment...sorry to say...very little parental involvement....level of education was 'less' than par....lack of school to parent communication...Think twice before enrolling....

Last modified South Jefferson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.