Chamberlain Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 207 students

Sweep tile

Posted May 12, 2013

Ok i have to bragged on my school 1 more time!!!!!!! Ok from my k-2nd grade years were great my teachers were wonderful they put no stress or anything on me i would always come in with a smile on my face and a postive attitude and at the end of the day iw ould leave happy as can ever my 2nd grade year when i had to leave it was very sad :'( i cant stan being without my chamberlain friends they were like family to me. i luv the staff the teachers and everything there its the best school EVER and it will always be # 1 Love your little chamberlain friend haley stephenson

Posted April 23, 2013

Not only have I had the privilege of Ms. Pfister being my kids principail but now my two grandchildren. The teaching staff could not be better . I love every part of the education the smiles and all the help that you reecive from everyone working there. They both had Mrs. Walsh Kindergarten what a great teacher, she puts no stress on the kids or the parents and they learn so very much. From the first grades to the third couldn't ask for better teachers. Thats as far as we are right now but no doubt that forth and fifth will also be the greatest!!! Thanks Chamberlain for all the training and education that you are providing for my Grandchildren. We love all you and respect you for all that you do.

Posted February 22, 2012

Chamberlain Elementary is top of the line...first class. Mrs. Pfister has consistently provided leadership for over 35 years to this community school. The building is probably one of the oldest school buildings in the state, but she encourages the maintenance staff to keep it in good working order and clean to sight and health. She inspires the staff to be the best that they can be so that the students will be their best as well. All the staff seem to tell the students in words and actions that each student "is kind, ...is smart, and ...is important." It is refreshing to hear other parents express positive remarks about the school and teachers. The Home -school association works continualy to assist in enrichment activities and fund raising. The partnership is fantastic. The students are challenged and are expected to work hard for grades which helps prepare them for middle school. No new building; new nice gym or all purpose room; no fancy equipment; but caring people and learning happening every day.

Posted August 21, 2011

I am back again this year and I know we are only in the beginning of the school year. I would just like to say we have lost a great teacher that was an inspiration to me when I first came there to enroll my children. She was not any of my childrens teacher but yet she greeted me everytime I saw her while I sat in line to drop my child off to school, she greeted me with such warmth when ever I came into the school for tutoring, yet I did not tutor her class. She welcomed me with open arms as did everyone there at Chamberlain . Principal Nancy Phister and all of Chamberlain s staff welcome you as if you were walking into their home. One that I will sadly miss and my child will not have the oppurtunity to be taught by is with God now. How she inspired me was through her kindness every single day. She helped me to believe in the school system again. Thank You and as I look into the Heavens I know you are one of many of GODS teaching ANGELS. Thank You Chamberlain for all that you do! Debbie

Posted August 17, 2010

My son attended Chamberlain from third through fifth grades, and my daughter will have been there since first grade. It's an old building, but the competence, caring and enthusiasm of the administration, teachers, and even the parents make Chamberlain stand out as an exceptional public school. I am extremely happy with the education both of my children have received at Chamberlain. Principal Nancy Pfister deserves a lot of credit, and the rest of the staff is first rate. The only problem I see is that it feeds into Horace Mann Middle School, and that's a decidedly mixed bag.

Posted July 12, 2010

I love Chamberlain Elementary! I spent K-5 there and I am overall outstandingly pleased. The staff all focus on your the students getting each topic, memorizing, studying, and hope for good citizenship. The academics are challenging and great! They are all well experienced teachers too. I left feeling like I said goodbye to my parents. I have that kind of bond with them. Behavioral issues most of the time are taken care of, besides most of the kids here are good, respectful students anyways. This school is safe and clean. It has an award winning custodian. The principal is the best you may ever see! P.E. and music could use a little more options for better enjoyment and quality. Parent are deeply envoled at this school, they work on fundraising, organizing, etc. This school has recently also started working on physical fitness and healthy eating, giving students pedometers, eating charts, encouragment,etc.

Posted April 7, 2009

My son is a student in Mrs. Walsh's kindergarten class and I would like to say that she is an excellent. She really has a knack for making young children confident in themselves. Mrs. Walsh is very tender and loving and I could go on for days about how wonderful she is. Mrs. Pfister, the principal, and the rest of the staff are 100% committed to the education and well-being of the students. I am truly blessed that my child is so lucky to attend this awesome school!

Posted September 18, 2008

My son is in second grade at Chamberlain (08-09) and we are VERY happy with everything we have experienced there. You could not find a more caring and supportive staff anywhere. The principal, Mrs. Pfister is so encouraging to all staff, students and parents. I have never seen anyone left out or not feel welcome at the school. My son was actually excited for school to start !! My husband and I are looking forward to sending our daughter to Chamberlain in a couple of years. I like being involved in a school that wants to be involved in teaching knowledge and life skills to all the children who attend there. Keep up the excellent work Chamberlain!!!

Posted April 17, 2008

My son started Chamberlain in 1996 and my daughter just moved on to Middle School this year. My 11 years at Chamberlain were absolutely wonderful. My children received an excellent education, but not only that, they recevied the skills they needed to prepare them for Middle School, High School and beyond. Chamberlain's main focus is and has always been academics as well as how to function in the real world. They are given not only educational skills, but are taught character as well. I know that my children came out of Chamberlain better people from their experiences there. Nancy Pfister is the most dedicated person I have ever known and loves each of the children at Chamberlain as though they were her own. The teachers are all top quality and put the children's education above all else. We were blessed to have such a wonderful School of Excellence!

Posted April 16, 2008

Through my current job I have become vastly aware of the quality of elementary education our county provides. They all vary. Chamberlain Elementary school is by far, one a the best quality educations that you could give your child in this valley, if not the best. Nancy Pfister is all about quality education for her children. Her staff are nothing but quality. That is why it maintains its status as a School of Excellence. I make this statement not only from experience as a parent but as an educated employee of this county. I am blessed to have such a quality education provided for my child. I wish to express my sincere love and appreciation to Nancy Pfister and her quality staff, for a job always well done. J.F.

Posted April 4, 2008

My daughter attended 5th grade at Chamberlain, moving from out of state. It has been an incredible experience. The teachers are very knowledgeable, caring and encouraging. The principal is experienced and wonderful - you will not find any better!

Posted June 19, 2007

My daughter was a fifth grade student (2006-07). It was her first year at Chamberlain. The teaching staff is wonderful. They are quality teachers with caring attitudes. They truly do a great job. My hat goes off to them. Tom Harris

Posted April 27, 2005

My son is a student in Mrs. Walsh's class and I am amazed at the progress he has achieved this year expecially in his reading. I am very pround of him and thankfull to Mrs. Walsh and Mrs Bowles for doing such a great job.

Posted January 20, 2005

My son is a kindergarten student,in Mrs. Walsh's class, he is learning more than I ever thought possible. Mrs. walsh and her assistant Mrs. Bowles,do a wonderful job of educating and inspiring my son in a fun and caring atmosphere.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 43% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 37% in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 36% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 35% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

All Students84%

Economically disadvantaged54%
Title I71%
Students without disabilities72%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students89%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 52%N/A51%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4901 Venable Av South East