Elkins Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted November 14, 2012

We have 4 children and we just withdrew our youngest from this horrible school. The principal is overwhelmed, the teachers are argumentative and lazy, and there is bullying by the students and the teachers. The worst thing is that the teachers (almost all of them) realize that there are very few options and this contributes to their arrogance. It's just a waste of time to talk to the teachers or the principal because they circle the wagons, blame the student, and then blame the parent (surprise, surprise). A similar thing that happened with three different teachers . . . Our child was doing "fine" at mid-term but by the end of the marking period she was failing two classes and making a "D" in a 3rd class. We went on the internet site where grades and homework is posted but it wasn't kept current by any of the teachers. When we asked what the problem was, we were told that our child wasn't completing the work. We informed each teacher that we rarely saw our child bring any work home and each of them said the same thing. All of the work is done in class and we can't send textbooks home. When we asked how it was possible to miss work done in class we got blank stares.

Posted September 21, 2009

The School Board is the problem at the Middle School. They need to clean house at the middle school. The school is getting a make over, but when the kids return bathrooms need to be unlocked, every student needs to be provided text books and the teachers need to follow State mandated lesson plans. The school operates on a team concept taking only the better students seriously. When a less motivated student reach High School they often arrive unprepared. Most of the teachers are good, some great, but there is some deadwood in key courses. The front office seems to be the schools weakest link in holding teachers accountable for what they produce. The Music department is excellent maybe as good as it gets anywhere. Five Stars for the music department. The Cross Country Coach is excellent, has been the seed producing High School Cross Country Champions. Neighboring schools are better.

Posted November 15, 2006

EMS has some great teachers/coaches as well as some not so great teachers/coaches. This is a tough age group of children to teach. However, all children deserve to treated with respect regardless of who they are or what they have done or what their abilities are. Would like to see more in the lines of art programs for the children who have the talent (not just one 9 wks if they are lucky). More low cost extracurricular activities would be nice. All children who are interested in a sport should be able to play, not just the 'better' ones - they more they play the better they get. Maybe have teams and intramurals. I have heard several remarks made by teachers that have been disturbing-would like to see them monitored a little more closely.

Posted November 12, 2006

It is really unfortunate to me to read these reviews. I am a teacher at Elkins Middle School. I can only speak for myself, but I know that if I did not absolutely LOVE my job and LOVE children, I would walk out the door. The day I wake up and realize that I was ever rude or inconsiderate toward any child, I would quit immediately. We do not become teachers because of the pay, or the vacations, and OBVIOUSLY not for the praise and support we get from the community (which is nonexistent), we become teachers because we truly love our jobs. If you think that is not the case, PLEASE spend a day in your child's classrooms and see for yourself how much EVERY teacher at that school loves their job.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 29, 2006

This school gets kids sick!! It has asbestos that causes cancer and raw sewage in the back field!Someone needs to contact the health department immediately or ELSE!!Our Kids don't deserve this treatment!especially the Girls!!! There is never toilet paper in the bathroom or soap!!!

Posted December 6, 2005

I am glad to read a review that includes the poor condition of the middle school and not just a critique of the teachers. It really is disgusting that our children must attend such a dirty, old school. The building needs destroyed and rebuilt. I have seen kennels in better shape than this school. Furthermore, the temperature is never right because there is no air conditioning and the heaters don't work properly. As far as the teachers go, it is easy to say things about people, but you don't know if you haven't walked in their shoes. There were comments about the teachers bullying students and being rude. I just want to say that their is more violence today and teachers deal with different problems than they used to.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 20, 2005

My daughter is in the 8th grade at the Elkins Middle School. She is constantly telling me that the teachers are rude and yell at the students. She had a teacher that frequently used profanity in the classroom last year. The principal and teachers turn a deaf ear to complaints of bullying. I am considering placing my daughter in another school in a different county. It is my opinion that this school shouldnt be teaching any children.

Posted February 2, 2005

My son is a special ed student at this school. He has had many problems with bullies and most of the teachers will turn a deaf ear. There is one super teacher who cares and wants to help my son become a success. She is held back by the system and the number of students in the classes. My son has been a student there for two years and nothing improves. Some of the staff are bullies as well as students. If you need an IEP this is not the school to deal with, without an advocate or an attorney. If I were financially able to, I would get my son out of this school district.

Posted January 25, 2005

Don't send your kids to randoph Co they are horrible. they need new teachers all the way around and new board of ed staff. Please if your child requires an IEP this county is a no no.

Posted December 9, 2004

My daughter transefered to this school for only 3 months and I found the people to be extremely rude and uninterested in youth improvement. My daughter's attitude has declined since attending. The entire district needs to learn how to better their teachers to show interest in the students and their jobs. They are not htere to put in a 7 hr day and not contribute positively to the childrens lives and education. I wil be leaving this district ASAP to find a better quality of education.

Posted October 14, 2004

I have a child in the Elkins Middle School and I am very unhappy with the quality of education my child receives. The teachers are rude and uncaring. I constantly am hearing from my child that the teachers are rude and frequently yelling. I am sending my child to another school next year even if it means to another county.

Posted September 6, 2004

I am very unhappy with the condition of the middle school. When I toured it with my 6th grade daughter, I could not believe my eyes. The desks were the same ones that we used when I attended the school and I am now 36. The lighting is horrible and the walls and so called curtains are terrible. There were huge cob webs in the corners and filth everywhere. The classrooms were all so ancient looking with no color. Is it any wonder that our children get bored and sick of school? I think someone needs to take a good hard look at the school. We definately need a new middle school.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

224 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2012.

198 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

200 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2012.

194 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 40% in 2012.

194 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2012.

216 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2012.

213 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

213 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students46%

Title I39%
Students with disabilities3%
Students without disabilities45%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students47%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A53%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

308 Robert East Lee Ave