Central Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted May 14, 2013

I do not know how the ratings are so high for Central Elem. The secretary is rude, it's obvious she hates her job. She is always sneering. The fifth grade field trip was a local bowling trip. Anne Bailey took their kids to Pittsburgh!! What the heck CE?! In my day we traveled WV and even ventured to other states! My son is excited because they are taking him to a park next week. Please!!! I can do that on my own time!!!

Posted August 9, 2010

In my opinion this school has a teacher that seriously needs to be let go and an administration that needs to follow up on issues more promptly. My child was in kindergarten this past year and the teacher had classified my son very early on and then allowed him to be teased throughout the year. The principal said she would follow up, however the atmosphere in the classroom did not change and my son went from a child who actually liked school to one who was afraid of school and hated everything about it. Unfortunately I do not have any other options for my son due to the bus route, so he is still at this school. I can only hope that his first grade teacher will be better.

Posted September 10, 2009

it is a wanderful school everyone is caring and nice and do well with my son thank you all for the time and patince you have given to help him to do his best

Posted August 27, 2009

I have one child that moved to middle school and one child that has just started K. I cannot say enough good things about this school. I feel that the staff of the school did an excellent job in preparing my daughter for middle school.

Posted September 8, 2008

I have 3 children attending this school and one just moved on to middle school. I can't say that I have any love lost for the school. While there are several teachers there who truly seem to care about the children, there are others and those amongst the administration who definitely do noy. If I had an alternative with bus transportation, I would have taken it a couple years ago!

Posted May 2, 2008

I am pleased with the way my childeren are learning and are being challenged every day. What I find unacceptable is the way the teacher handles her classroom. I do not feel that teachers need to discuss there personal life in a negative way with the students. What happens at home does not need to be brought to the classroom, unless it is positive and I feel that there is no excuse for a teachers behavior due to his/her personal issues at home.

Posted August 19, 2004

As a teacher at Central, I feel this school is an excellent one. I say this after teacheing at a few other schools before going to Central. I have spent nine years there. The students for the most part are well behaved and work hard. Our school pushes discipline so we can teach. In order to full fill the requirements from the state, we can only give the kids a limited amount of non-working time. In the upper elementary, student breaks are to be a working break. This means they are to be doing classwork while eating their snack. If parents have complaints about this, they should contact the school board. I think kids need a 15 min. break as well as teachers. We have high standards for our kids and they reep the benefits because of it. It would be nice to have more parent helpers. KM
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 22, 2004

Both of my Children attended school at Central. Central has a great bunch of teachers. I was a volunteer there for 5 years and I can understand why they don't get a lot of playtime, they are very busy trying ot teach these children what they need to know so that they can be ready for the next year. It would be nice if they could give the children more playtime, but these teachers have rules they have to follow also. I for one think they are doing a great job and did a great job with both my children.

Posted February 11, 2004

From what I can tell, I think Central Elementary School is a very good school. They seem to have a very nice school. The only problem I have with this school is the lack of playtime the children have. I think the children should be able to go outside and play after eating lunch every day. This is my son's first year there and he has only gotten to go outside for playtime a few times. These kids should be given time to run and play with their peers. This playtime is also needed to run off excess energy. Am I the only parent who thinks the kids should have a playtime every day??? I would like to see some other opinions on this and i would also like to have an answer as to why they aren't going outside.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 43% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 37% in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 36% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 35% in 2012.

55 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

60 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

56 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students39%

Economically disadvantaged43%
Title I46%
Students without disabilities47%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students49%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A53%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

900 Helene St