Posted March 06, 2009
Hi. I am a student at Van High School, and I also came from a much larger school in Charleston, I have learned so much more in VHS than I ever imagined I would have ever learned at the larger school. The connection between our students and staff and VHS is incredible. We have become a family where we are such a small school. It's a tight little connection that i am proud to be a part of. Even though VHS doesn't offer very many activities like sports or music, several of our kids have went to more academic type events than our surrounding schools, Sherman High and Scott High. WE have Math Field Day, Social Studies, Science and so many other options that our student excel in. I'm proud to be a Bulldog.....

Posted February 04, 2009
Van High is great. The only weakness I see is in the Math department. There is a lot of hype about how great the math students are who come from Van but there is still a weakness. Van high students can stand among the best when it comes to tests. Testing is not a reliable exclusive means of evaluation anyway. Daily one on one interaction shows the quality of the education being received. Test only show the number of people who test well. The other 99% show it daily.

Posted February 03, 2009
Small schools are great, and some of them do a very good job in educating the students on a one on one basis. Van however is not doing as well. If you look at the test scores you will see that they fall behind the state average in almost every catagory. The only one I seen that was above the state average was science in 2005. I am a small school advocate, but they need to work a little harder on preparing the students for life after High School. A large percentage of freshman college students are required to take remedial classes, because high school did not prepare them

Posted January 02, 2009
The school may be small but we are the best. I feel my daughter is getting the best education. She is getting all of the classes she needs and is doing very well in them. She can get extra help when she is having a problem. Our school is a little too strict on security but with the way things are now that is probably good. Mrs. Moore our principal seems to know the kids well and is good with them. She runs the place well. She care what our kids are doing. Overall I love the school and would rate it 5 stars because I know my daughter is going to get the Promise Scholarship because of the hard work of the teachers, MRs. Moore and of course my daughter.

Posted April 30, 2008
I feel that Van High school is a great school for the students to learn. The principal is a great leader and the school works together and when students, teachers and staff work together it becomes a great school. I volunteer at this school all the time and see just how much the teachers and staff care for all the students. Van High school may be a small school and offer very little to the students now, but the principal and staff at van high school is looking to add more for our students in this school.

Van Junior/Senior High School 3

Posted April 02, 2008
I am enrolled as a student at Van High School. And as a student I am aware of what is offered and what is taken to provide punishments for students who do not follow the rules. True, Van is a little school, but Van is also a school where not much is offered to the students. The staff is small, but they give you extra attention when you need it. In larger schools you might not get this kind of attention. I know everyone's name, but that doesn't mean that I like everyone. Being in a smaller school doesn't make you More Friendly, it puts a greater pressure on the students to stand out. Being in Competetion with each other drives us to do great things, but the truth is most students don't care. We try our best at Van, and that's really all you can ask for.

Van Junior/Senior High School 4

Posted April 04, 2007

Van Junior/Senior High School 4

Posted January 04, 2007
Extracurricular activities are becoming more prevalent, and art is now offered. College courses are now offered and discipline is becoming much better.

Van Junior/Senior High School 2

Posted February 23, 2006
Van is a very small school that houses 6 - 12 grades with little to offer. Discipline and respect is very low quality. There's a very small staff so very few academic programs are provided. No music or art is provided for the high school students and very few extracurricular activities are provided.

Posted January 08, 2005

Van Junior/Senior High School
913 Van High School Rd, Van, WV  25206
Last modified Van Junior/Senior High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Van Junior/Senior High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top