Bad
Good

This is my son's second year of going to McKinley, and I really do love this school. I honestly can't believe that it is considered a regular public school. With how much dedication the teachers give to making sure each child is individually getting what they need, I almost expect it to be a charter or private school. My son has special needs, and learns completely different than most kids. He has never gotten pushed to the side, and I don't just have teachers telling me to "fix" him. They go out of their way to talk with me, to come up with plans to help him learn the way he learns, and they take into account his needs and work so well with him. They also listen to the parents, and eagerly accept your suggestions and point of view. If your child is struggling with ANYTHING, McKinley will find a way to help them, and will do everything within their power to make school a positive experience for their students. This school and the entire staff is amazing.

My child has special needs. After coming from a school whee I had to scream to get help for my child, coming to McKinley was a breath of fresh air. Nor only did they listen to me, they contacted me with concerns of their own about the placement of my son. I have found the entire staff to be professional, caring, compassionate, knowledgeble and above all committed to providing the very best, highest quality education for each and every child. ****Based on the child"s needs. Not the schools.**** I believe the principal sets the tone for the students and the staff. The entire school seems to be working in tandem with each other. Based on my experience with teachers, paras, Social worker, nurse, office staff, etc. it is clear this principal expects what every child deserves, and strives to provide it under her leadership. A safe, quality education as evidenced by each staff members commitment to my child's educational and emotional and physical needs.. Ending up at McKinley was a blessing. It's obvious the teachers enjoy their work and their students, and it shows every day as evidenced by their commitment to them.

It's been almost 2 years since I last posted, and my son is now in 3rd grade at McKinley. With every passing year my admiration and respect grows for the faculty and families of this school. I had initial concerns when Mrs. Frerks (EBD teacher) left near the end of last year; but those fears proved to be completely unfounded. Ms. Weyenberg has stepped up and more than filled the spot! Through difficult times at school and home they have never waivered in their help or support. Additionally, the experience and positive influence Mr. Mulry (principal) has with these 'challenging children' can never be appreciated enough. '3 of 10' doesn't come close to what this school has given to my family!

GreatSchools Rating '3 out of 10' should have an asterisk - a huge one! When reading about this school, please keep in mind that the building houses an 'english as a second language' section. It is mandated by the government that these students are given the same tests as traditional students and considered in the overall test averages. Great school, great faculty, great opportunities for extracurricular activities. Parent involvement is high. Teachers give plenty of individual attention and interact with parents regularly. The thing that I have been happiest with since moving to Appleton is McKinley Elementary.

Last modified McKinley Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.