Darrell L. Hines Academy

Charter | PK-8 | 300 students

We are best known for IB and music programs.

Living in Milwaukee

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $106,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

My son started here in January, and I have had nothing but problems. I am not taking the blame off my son, who talks TOO much, they are very PETTY, I got a call regarding him drinking soda in the hall, I understand if that's a policy but REALLY your going to call me about it. The principal is very busy, doing WHAT I don't know. they don't take the time to get to know the kids, they just label them and keep it moving. The receptionist is VERY rude!

Posted November 24, 2013

I would not send my child to this. He was bullied and the teachers and principal did nothing. Instead of the bullies get in trouble he was in trouble. Terrible school. My son learned nothing at this school.

Posted September 25, 2013

DLH is very wonderful have three kids all of them have went to DLH and I recommend it for all parents.

Posted September 26, 2012

DLH Academy has been a rewarding educational opporunity for my family. I am exciterd to see how the new Carrera program will unfold. Seeing familar teachers each year does help with transitioning to new grades.

Posted September 26, 2012

My kids have attended DLHA since K5 and now they are in high school and college. I absolutely love this school. The staff and administration really care about the students, the curriculum is top-notch and education comes first. I highly recommend DLH Academy!!!!

Posted August 12, 2012

well, this past school year was my first year at dlh and I will say this.... Yes, the staff is an acquired taste, there were a few adults that i could have done without starting from the higher up's all the way down to the bottom people, BUT......... I DID like the open door policy, I was there, sitting in classes all day, not only for my daughter but for my nieces and nephew also. I was allowed to go on the one and only field trip they had with my daughter, nieces and nephew. AND despite the "better than you" feeling you may get from the adults... my daughter received a TOP NOTCH EDUCATION!!! learned sign language, fractions and how to read (when she started k5 she could not read, entering 1st grade she is at beginning 2nd grade level!) SOOOOO I don't take anything personal as long as my daughter is getting the best education possible. (it helped that I am a VERY involved mom, so they may not have liked me very much, but they DO know ME!)

Posted March 13, 2012

This school is a terrible joke they have 5 minutes at lunch, they make the kids walk in lines waaaay too much and their new parent pick up process is terrible!

Posted December 26, 2011

The instruction program is good, but the office staff and some faculty members are very rude and insults parents and family members seeking information, or pick up of their children. Although the mission of the school is intended to uplift and excel student progress, it is hindered by unprofessional office staff and assistant teachers. My family is very disappointed and will transfer our child.

Posted September 22, 2011

I believe DLH is a great school. The adminstration works hard to make sure every child is treated fairly. The teachers work hard as well, given the fact that each child is different and some are a handful. Others can say what they want but you cant say much about a school that happens to be the only school in the state that is an IB school!! The proof is in the pudding. Those parents on here saying they show favortism and wertent up to par....how much parent involvement did you give?? And was your child on of the ones causing all the issues......either way remember....the teacher can only do so much...we as parents make the, into who they are.....the school your child attends show only "help cultivate tour child...not make your child!!!

Posted March 25, 2010

One thing I can say about DLH is that it is a safe place. Thank God! I do not worry about my child's safety when she is at school. Now, on the other hand, academically the school is not up to par. The assignments they receive is a joke. Do not expect your 8th grader to be prepared for highschool after leaving DLH. They do not challenge the children and they treat the middle school children like they are toddlers. If you choose to send your child to this school, make sure you have additional worksheets and assignments for them when they come home. It is really the parents responsibility to make sure our children are successful. In my personal opinion, I feel that DLH is more concerned about how they look and not what kind of substance they have. The uniforms look great but what are you really teaching?

Posted September 9, 2009

I agree with the post on 8/25/09, the school does favor the members and asst. of CFFC. And there are days that the office staff is very rude. My son went to the school for 3 years. I pulled him out last year. If you don't think that they have favoritism come when there is a school program, like founders day and see if it's not CFFC members always up front.

Posted August 25, 2009

This school is perfect for Parents who work for this school, and attend CFFC because the child will recieve favoritism over all other kids. Sad but true, my son will not be there next year. Good luck DLH!

Posted June 17, 2009

My child has attended this school for since the 1st grade, now in the 6th grade, I hate to say, it's been the worst year. The grades are not up to standard, and even though the teachers do seem to try to communicate, the whole grade level is out of control. My child came home during the weeks of school, complaining they werent learning anything because it took to long for everyone to settle down and teachers spent more time yelling. Understanding it is our kids responsibility to behave but their also has to be some structure in the class where a child can function. Still debating on sending my child to another school, just hate to do it because my child is already adapted to the teachers and administrators. I will see!

Posted November 22, 2008

It's unfortunate that the previous two parents had a bad experience. I had children in this school for 7 years. My children are either at or above their reading level. They are doing very well in their new schools. The administration works with the parents as needed. My concerns and issues were addressed in a timely manner.

Posted November 17, 2008

This school was horrible....a joke! Take it from another parent who doesnt have much, but wants the world for thier child.....put them in a differnet school! I only write about things I am passionate about.....there are alot of things that arent right in teh school setting!

Posted October 2, 2008

I cannot beleive the reviews that are so postive about this school. It makes me wonder if the staff inside the school is writing these reveiws in order to 'make thier school look better.' I was shocked by what things I saw at this school. Kids hitting teachers, throwing things at other kids, threatening teachers and others students, and, from a parents eyes, I saw nothing done by the administration. This school was a joke, and I am baffled by the fact that this school is still open. I pulled my kids out of there a few years back, and put them back in MPS and saw a drastic change in them. They actually felt safe in their classroom. My kid came home in shock because a kid was actually given consequences! These are our babies! I would think twice about your school choice!

Posted September 3, 2008

I like the school and the staff as well. The teachers take their time with each student to make sure they understand what the assignment is about. They don't gave up easily on their students. My son goes here and I love every moment of it. Our son came into this school with no english, after the first year he's english improved and I see the improvement in his reading as well. By the second quarter of his second year, he advanced his reading skills to the next level. Now that is what I call great teaching by the staff. Compare him to most of his relatives, he's beyond them. We get really good compliments from our relatives. As a parents, I know I'm not regretting every moment of it. I know I've chosen the best school in the city for my child and I will continue to do that.

Posted July 19, 2008

My son goes to this school.So far so good.I like the fact that the teacher's and staff are attentive to the educational and emotional needs of the children. Dlh Academy provides a safe nurturing enviroment for their students.Keep up the good work for our future leaders.

Posted August 30, 2007

DLH Academy has excellent curriculum. It is an International Baccalaureat schoo. he International Baccalaureate (IB) offers high quality programmes of international education to a worldwide community of schools. DLH offers its curriculum for students to help develop the intellectual, personal, emotional and social skills to live, learn and work in a rapidly globalizing world. There are more than 560,000 IB students at 2,107 schools in 125 countries.e school. DLH had to qualify for this distinction and its students advance far beyond their years after attending this educational facility.

Posted November 21, 2006

I completely disagree, and highly recommend this school. As someone who has been in a large number of other milwaukee public schools, and who has previously worked closely in other charter schools, I believe that dlh is not only an acceptable school, but an exceptional school. If you are sending your child to a public school in milwaukee, this is it. The student-to-teacher ratio is very impressive, as are the reading scores, when compared to other schools in the city. In fact, they are so in tune to their students' reading needs that it is common to see reading groups of only 3 to 5 students- sometimes even one-on-one. After seeing years' worth of discipline problems in mps, the issues at dlh are minimal. The school is small and each student is well-known to the whole staff. It is the only ib-accredited elementary school in the state, and it shows.
—Submitted by a staff

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 33% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 36% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 38% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 42% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

All Students11%
Proficient in English11%
Non-migrant11%

All Students6%
Proficient in English6%
Non-migrant6%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group. Subgroup scores for each school are only reported for students who were enrolled as of the fall enrollment count. The All students score includes results for all students who took the test, regardless of when they first enrolled in the school.

All Students53%

Black, not of Hispanic origin70%
Proficient in English70%
Non-migrant70%

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
2 / 10
Climate rating
6 / 10

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

Learn more about our methodology

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city and state.
Overall academic rating

Below average

Test score rating 2013*
This school
City
Learn more about this school's test scores »

*Test scores are based on the 2013 WSAS results from the state of Wisconsin.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools.

We rated schools on …

Keeping things safe, clean, and orderly.

This rating evaluates a school's environment, based on its safety, order, cleanliness and more. More highly rated schools have well-kept facilities and a safe environment conducive to learning. Schools rated poorly may have a chaotic environment, conflicts among students or even theft or violence.

Creating healthy, respectful relationships.

This rating measures whether the school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. At a school with a higher rating, it's more likely that the school's culture celebrates hard work and learning, students treat their peers and teachers with respect and class lessons reinforce character strengths such as kindness and tolerance. A school with a lower rating may have a weaker learning environment or allow disrespectful behavior.

Promoting high academic expectations for all students.

This rating sheds light on the academic expectations that teachers have for students. At a school with a higher rating, educators are more likely to stress academic success, ask kids to work hard and expect kids to be college-bound. At schools with lower ratings, it may be more acceptable for students to put in average or minimal effort, perform poorly on tests and lack strong academic goals.

Supporting its teachers.

This rating indicates how teachers feel about their school's professional environment. At a highly rated school, teachers are more likely to work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. At a school with lower ratings, teachers may not interact much, feel appreciated or have much input in school decisions and policies.

Informing and including families.

This rating reflects how much communication parents can expect from this school. A highly rated school is more likely to have regular communication (e.g. newsletters, emails, and meetings) between administrators, teachers and parents. This may include information about student progress, homework help and volunteer opportunities. At lower-rated schools, parents may not get regular updates and may feel less welcome at school.

Black, not Hispanic 89% 10%

Master's degree and above 24%N/A55%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with valid license 51%N/A98%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Gym
  • Kitchen

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

School start time
  • 7:55 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 a.m.
  • Precious Washington
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (414) 434-0034

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Hybrid
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)

• Global
  • Music
  • Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• School psychologist
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Boys & Girls Club

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor