No rating

Prairie Hill Waldorf School

Private | PK-8 | 137 students

Our School is a fully accredited Waldorf School.

Living in Pewaukee

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $235,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted April 13, 2014

Prairie Hill Waldorf provides a child first, developmentally appropriate approach to education. In this day and age of No Child Left Untested , it is a relief to know that Prairie Hill utilizes performance-based evaluations. Childhood is celebrated, appreciated, and preserved through reflective, caring educators. Our children thrive on the hands-on approach to learning, participation in class plays and school sports, memory-making field trips, art, music, etc. Best of all, as parents, you will feel part of a community who enjoy having just plain fun together. Prairie Hill-- where education is a way of life!

Posted April 10, 2014

As a young girl, my granddaughter was very high strung. She ate fast and couldn t sit still for long. Now due to her school and teacher she has developed into a much calmer person. Initially, she wasn't interested in reading but now is a true lover of books. She is a kind and considerate child and is a good team player. My granddaughter has grown into a loving and caring person due to her well-rounded instruction at Prairie Hill Waldorf School. Recently she had a major part in the class play and she was outstanding! I was so impressed at how she has grown and matured over the years. I give Prairie Hill an A+ for their part in her development!

Posted April 8, 2014

PHW has taught my child confidence and has given him a real sense of knowledge about his self. I appreciate the philosophy of teaching to the developmental age of the child and not pushing them into subject matter and concepts before he is ready. The teaching staff is very qualified to teach my child the skills he needs to move on to high school.

Posted April 8, 2014

My daughter is in Kindergarden and my son is in playgroup. My kids ask every night if they have school tomorrow and when they do they say, "Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!!" The teachers love the kids as their own. In an age of standardized tests, textbook drilling, and Ritalin, I am happy to say this school embraces each students individuality and makes learning an experience. I love this school and I feel safe that my kids are at this school. I recommend this school to anyone who wants their kids to have an extraordinary education.

Posted April 8, 2014

Before coming to Prairie Hill, I taught in both public and parochial schools. I was really unhappy with how children were "learning" and how I was treated. Now that I'm at Prairie Hill, I see what an amazing education it is for children. Waldorf education allows for the child to truly learn subjects. They don't just memorize facts to fill in bubbles on tests. They know the material inside and out at the end of their studies. They also get a childhood, which is now lost in many public schools. The children learn in multiple, fun ways. The comradery in the school is inspiring, too. I have never seen a faculty that works together so well and teachers are actually friends with parents. They work on many things together. It is an amazing school and I love working there.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 8, 2014

Prairie Hill Waldorf school is a wonderful community where children learn and grow in a nurturing environment. Each child's unique gifts are celebrated and honored. The children engage in experiential learning throughout the grade school years. The curriculum is tailored to their developmental needs and the children grow in a warm supportive environment. They learn foreign languages from an early age and master hands-on tasks such as woodworking and knitting before being exposed to mind numbing technology. They also act in a class play each year that helps them to develop their ability to express themselves in public. Learning to sing and play musical instruments also helps them develop all aspects of their personality. One of the best things about Prairie Hill Waldorf School is the absence of cliques, fashion competitions, cattiness, and bullying that is often seen in larger public schools. This helps the children develop a healthy self-esteem in the crucial early periods of their lives. The graduates of Prairie Hill are known for their compassion, artistry, creativity, and exuberance that the school nurtures in them.

Posted February 23, 2013

I loved going to PHWS!!!! I graduated from PHWS in 2007, going there for nine years, with only fourteen kids in my class, and it was the best decision my parents made for my education. People keep talking about how PHWS doesn't prepare their kids/themselves for high school subjects like science and math, but the way we work with those subjects just makes us even more ready. We work at things harder; we care more about school. Because of a teacher I had back then, I am now pursuing an English major at UW-Stevens Point. The teachers really do care about how the students learn, not only the academic subjects but also the social situations too. So many of the programs there help both academically and socially that it makes one a better-rounded person in the end, even if you just went for a year. Sure, it's expensive, but it's completely worth it. Everyone, teachers, administrators, parents, and kids alike, chips into the school in one way or another. I love coming back and seeing what I can do to help out, whether it is with the library, the website, or a subject a teacher is teaching. Absolutely great!!!

Posted January 22, 2013

Prairie Hill is a true alternative school that is one of the best kept secrets. It is not a public school wrapped up in a pretty package, but rather an experience that develops the whole person , their spirit, and their creativity. My kids are excelling in all areas from academics, to their social skills and emotional health. They are learning to be creative problem solvers and not just tech junkies. I can see why the Google executives send their kids to a Waldorf school.

Posted April 16, 2012

The school is not teaching the children to be compassionate to one another. Maybe they learn to have respect for the earth, nature and their schoolwork, but it seems to end when they enter recess. There are too many incidents of inappropriate language and behavior. The school seems to not take it seriously enough to implement rules to keep everyone emotionally and physically safe. The Waldorf curriculum is wonderful and impressive, but the school lacks the guidelines that holds the children responsible for their ill behavior. The most important thing we can teach our children is to be kind to themselves and others.

Posted June 6, 2010

The 2009-2010 school year at Prairie Hill has just concluded, and it was simply amazing to experience another year with such a strong, rich and diverse community of families and teachers. This school is a rare find, where student growth, education and development is CLEARLY the first and foremost goal of the school. A refocused leadership group has the school in good shape to weather the economic downturn that many private schools are experiencing.

Posted June 4, 2010

Prairie Hill Waldorf School provides an exceptional environment for children to grow and learn in a non judgmental, nurturing way. i am a longtime parent with three children attending and i have seen first hand how this education has allowed my children to become confident, creative, and insightful. the teachers bring the curriculum in such an interesting, engaging way that it doesn't feel like schoolwork and the children really respond to it and enjoy it.

Posted March 21, 2010

We have been a family with the school for nearly 3 years now, and the school just has not maintained an acceptable level of safety regarding access into the school. There is no buzz in or check in process. Anyone can walk in and this is a huge safety issue to me. My son had a horrible experience as a kindergardener directly related to this. The school was aware, but nothing was done. Use caution when sending small children here, they may not be as protected as you are lead to believen they are.

Posted February 25, 2010

Our three sons attended Prairie Hill. Two of our sons had wonderful experiences and had two of the best teachers we have ever known! Our then 3rd grader had a truly horrible experience with a teacher that he is still trying to heal from. Sadly, I cannot recommend the school overall. Other children had a similar experience and also left, but their siblings are still in other classes. The classroom environment must be safe physically, emotionally and spiritually for a child to learn, grow, and thrive. All of the teachers must be emotionally stable. Because of the school's horizontal leadership structure, overall lack of leadership and economic pressures, serious safety issues still exist. Please use caution when interviewing a potential teacher for your child.

Posted December 9, 2009

We chose the school for our oldest son. We were troubled by the homework and long hours of indoor, worksheet assignments he was given in a traditional classroom. In Waldorf education, childhood is cherished with a slow unfolding of academic work. The children are led through a daily rhythmn that includes a classical, block-study, curriculum each morning. Afternoons include handwork, 2 languages, 1 or 2 instruments, drawing, pottery, woodwork and ample outdoor play/study. There are no textbooks as the material is 'living' from teacher to child. It was a good match for our son who benefits especially from the challenging fieldtrips- farm work, camping, rope climbing, etc. The teacher remains with the class all 8 years- an invested long-term relationship. As a family with 3 children now through the early childhood and into the grades, we have found PH to be a welcoming community and a support to our family life.

Posted December 9, 2009

This school speaks to the heart of the child without neglecting any facet of development. The children are nurtured through academic, physical, artistic, and social development with care and respect for them as individuals. It is a joy to watch not only my own children but all of their classmates reach for their potential.

Posted December 9, 2009

This is a great school for parents who want their child to enjoy learning how to problem solve through critical thinking and collaboration rather than a scantron.

Posted August 11, 2008

I have been going to prairie Hill for two years now and I absolutely love it. I go to schol because I want to; not because I have to.

Posted January 20, 2008

I can't say enough about how wonderful this school is. We have two children in the early childhood programs (Wonder Garden and Kindergarden) and its such a nurturing, warm, calm environment. The kids play with natural toys, eat homemaid snacks and get oustide for a bit every day (must have a good supply of rain gear and snow gear!). I have three boys and I wanted to find a school that would bring out calm creativity versus the loud and crazy play that can come with young boys. Its wonderful! My kids are ahead of the game when it comes to writing, drawing and even learning to read (at 3 1/2.) The early childhood program does not include academic work, per say, yet my kids have such an open mind and ability to focus on tasks, which is related directly from their school experience.

Posted January 19, 2008

The Waldorf pedagogy in itself is very prescritpive. But, we found Prairie Hill to be very rigid. Not good with special needs.

White, not Hispanic 90% 74%
Multiracial 4% 2%
Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 4%
Black, not Hispanic 3% 10%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 1%
Asian N/A 4%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 0% 0%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Arts (all)
  • Music

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • AWSNA
Fax number
  • (262) 646-7495

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Classical (e.g., focuses on the "classics")
  • Direct instruction