No rating

Our Redeemer Lutheran School

Private | PK-8 | 309 students

We are best known for QUALITY Christian academics and our family atmosphere.

Living in Wauwatosa

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $182,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $920.

Posted May 22, 2014

I want to thank Mary Irish, the Principle of Our Redeemer Lutheran School in Wauwatosa, WI sooooo very much for all she has done. Mrs. Irish took the time to open her kind heart, listen, care, she showed empathy, and understood my hardship I had to sadly endure in 2013. In 2013 I lost both my father and only sibling. My father died from a Pulmonary Embolism due to surgery complications and 90 days later my sister was on her motorcycle which she was hit and killed by an individual under the influence while operating a motor vehicle. I was off from work a little over 6 months of the year, my finances got the best of me, and trying to deal with emotional set back was not easy. When it came to my daughter s education I was not worried because Mrs. Irish made me feel at ease. Those were the most horrible events I had to experience thus far in my 29 years of life. Mrs. Irish deserve the Blue Ribbon recognition and whatever recognition there is to give, because she does her job well in keeping the school in order and making others feel welcomed. So again I want to thank Mary Irish for all the love, support, and most of all not allowing my daughter be a child who is left behind!!

Posted May 1, 2014

Our three children have gone through Our Redeemer, and their national test scores are off the charts - then we noticed it wasn't hereditary (because the whole school has high scores), it was the exceptional education they were (and are) given at ORLS. Our Redeemer received a National Blue Ribbon School award this year, and rather than rest easy on their accolades, they continue to look for ways to improve. The part we love the most about ORLS is that the faculty and staff clearly show their love for Jesus in how they interact with students, parents, church members, and each other. Our children now know that God has a unique plan for each of their lives, and ORLS has prepared them to meet the challenges of carrying out His plan. We cannot say enough of how blessed we feel to have found this school (and church)! We would encourage any parents looking for a great Christ-centered school in the Milwaukee area to check out Our Redeemer before making a decision. You'll be glad you did! They have a cool website too: orlctosa.org Congratulations and THANK YOU Our Redeemer for the blessing you are to our family - it's nice to see rest of the country recognize what we already knew!

Posted February 12, 2014

Our Redeemer Lutheran is a United States Department of Education National Blue Ribbon School 2013 and offers Christ-centered academics in a family atmosphere. What a blessing this school has been to so many families seeking the best education possible.

Posted January 26, 2012

I speak as a parent and an educator when I say that I would highly recommend Our Redeemer to anyone looking for a great christian based education for their children. I have 3 children who attended OR and only left because of my husband's job transfer to another state. The teachers at OR have thoroughly prepared my children for their new school which has a challenging curriculum. The teachers are well trained, always readily available and quick at addressing any concerns. They truly care about the success of their students. Mrs. Irish, the principal, works as diligently behind the scenes as in front. She is constantly searching for new ways to make each school year better than the last, whether it be by improving technology, reviewing the curriculum, or implementing new ideas geared at fostering more successful students. The parents are very involved, which helps create a safe, family friendly environment in the school. I can't say enough about how much of a gem this school is. If we ever return to the area, I would definitely place my children back at Our Redeemer.

Posted January 23, 2012

We were staying at the Ronald McDonald's House because we just had a very sick child. Our oldest daughter was set to start 4K back home. It was important that she should go to school. I searched over 30 schools to find one that would work with us and one that was good. We were so blessed to find Our Redeemer. Not only did they work with us, they were a HUGE blessing to us. Our daughter's teacher was awesome. The principal was understanding and helpful. We were able to spend a semester there and our entire family misses Our Redeemer. The quality of education is amazing. The staff and the students are awesome. We are now back home and our daughter is going to school. I pray that there was a way we could continue going to Our Redeemer. What our daughter has learned in a semester at Our Redeemer is priceless. Not only did she start to learn to read, she learned about God and some other very valuable morals and conduct. If we lived in Milwaukee, all of our children would attend Our Redeemer. It is an amazing school with awesome staff. I cannot say enough good things about Our Redeemer!

Posted March 9, 2010

We are new to this school this year, and are very blessed to be here! ORLS has an amazing curriculum and the staff has been wonderful making this year an easy transition for my two children.

Posted July 16, 2009

What a blessing ORLS is to so many. The experience students have every day is spectacular! The families are so supportive of the school's mission and teacher are A+!

Posted July 9, 2009

Our son attended Our Redeemer since kindergarten and recently completed eighth grade. Every teacher he had was dedicated to the academic, spiritual, and emotional growth of the students. Specialist classes and departmentalized instruction in the middle school grades provide opportunities for the students to be exposed to a variety of teachers and subject matter. We were gratified to see our son develop the ability to share his faith with others as a result of the wonderful examples set by his Christian teachers. The caliber of work that was expected of him has him well prepared for the transition to high school. Watching the graduates, it was easy to see the caring and support the students develop for one another as they work together. We could not imagine a better Christian education than the one our son received at Our Redeemer Lutheran School!

Posted March 8, 2009

The Christian atmosphere, strong sense of 'family', and cutting edge instruction coupled with technology support makes O.R. a top-quality school.

Posted December 12, 2008

We have had children at Our Redeemer for six years, since our oldest started kindergarten. Our children are very different in personality and learning style and are all doing well and feeling appreciated and cared for. Each teacher has been involved and available and Christ is the center of each classroom. As a graduate of public schools, I am so thankful for the Christian love and care that surrounds our children at Our Redeemer. They are liearning the most important building blocks for life as they continue to grow academically as well as spiritually. When they go on to high school they will do so with confidence and strong support from the friendships they will take with them.

Posted September 11, 2008

We moved to Wisconsin in June of 2007 and decided to send our daughter to Our Redeemer because it was a Christ centered atmosphere. Mrs. Irish is amaingly welcoming and available. Our daughter's teacher was always available to us. I always felt welcomed by her and felt free to stay and observe as long as I wanted. The art program was my daughter's favorite. The after school programs including Mad Science, Art, Daisy's and PTA Movie night encouraged my daughter very much. I appreciated the fact that all the teachers were trained in the Love and Logic Approach. My daughter has made a friend that I think she will keep for the rest of her life. We are not Lutheran thus we did not join the church. I think this slightly affected our ability to connect with more families. This was not a hinderance though to making friends.

Posted March 6, 2008

I could not be more happy with this school. Teachers are caring and considerate, and foster good Christian relationships with students and parents. It is evident that Christ comes first in all that they do. New students and families are welcomed as part of the family. On top of all this are the obvious high academic standards evident in our children's work.

Posted January 4, 2008

We have two students ( a son and daughter) who are doing well in high school after completing grade school at ORLS. They have fond memories; we have no regrets. Send your kids there then get involved...you'll be pleased.

Posted September 27, 2006

Our Redeemer Lutheran School has provided a top notch experience for my child. We are so happy with how he has been accepted at school, with the great communication that lets us know what is going on, and most especially with the high quality of the Christian academic program that the school provides. We'd recommend it to any family.

Posted March 10, 2006

After having children in another excellent Lutheran school, I cannot say enough about Our Redeemer. I especially appreciate the personal care shown by the teachers, and the way my children were immediately welcomed by their peers. Our Redeemer has a tremendous family atmosphere, and offers options to students that most Lutheran Schools are unable to offer - a full-time Physical Education Specialist, Spanish classes for children in grades 1-8, multiple music offerings, and enrichment classes for those who need a greater challenge. I would recommend this school without reservation!

Posted February 18, 2006

Christians need to be smart and caring. They will not develop either of these qualities at Our Redeemer. Our Redeemer is severely lacks the leadership character, business acumen, resources and 'love' needed to ensure academic excellence, social adjustment and safety.

Posted December 13, 2004

I had two children go through Our Redeemer Lutheran School and couldn't be more pleased with the education they received! They transferred into Our Redeemer after a few years in public schools. The teachers were eager to help my children adjust to their new school surroundings and helped them make friends with their new classmates. If there were ever any concerns I would receive a prompt phone call home and the issues would be dealt with in a loving and confidential way. They have gone on to be successful in their college careers and beyond, carrying with them, the faith that was instilled in them at Our Redeemer. I would highly recommend this school to anyone who would like an excellent, Christian education for their children!

Posted October 25, 2004

'Our Redemer did not help my children at all. My younger daughter was made to daily feel isolated and ignorant in comparison to her classmates. Instead of helping those in need of additional assisatnce, they rave about the 'strong' students and neglect the others. Although the school provided an excellent Lutheran background for my children, I would not recommend this school'

For private schools, the GreatSchools academic rating is based on test scores and student growth measures from students participating in the Milwaukee Parental Choice Program and is not necessarily reflective of performance for all students at a private school. GreatSchools is working with state education officials in the hopes of presenting a more comprehensive picture of student performance at private schools in the future. In the meantime, we encourage reaching out to private schools of interest about specific testing information.

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
Not available
Climate rating
Not available

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). Unfortunately, this school doesn't have sufficient data to generate an academic rating.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools. Unfortunately, this school didn't provide enough survey responses to generate a climate rating.

White, not Hispanic 72% 74%
Black, not Hispanic 25% 10%
Multiracial 1% 2%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 1%
Asian N/A 4%
Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 4%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 0% 0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • National Blue Ribbon School 2013 (2013)
  • Exemplary School - LCMS (2010)
  • Ranked in the Top 50 Best U.S. Middle Schools (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mary Irish
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Lutheran Church (Missouri Synod)
Fax number

• Gifted / high performing
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Project-based
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • First Stage Theater

• Drama
  • Poetry
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Scouting programs
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor