High school was originally created during the Industrial Revolution as a way to train factory workers. Most high schools today still follow that original model — down to the daily schedule.
So what kind of high school do we need in the 21st century? This video is part of our Transforming High School project with articles, videos, Season 3 of our podcast, and tools to help parents and educators understand why high school is the way it is — and all of the modern, research-backed ways it can change for the better. Discover what you think will work for your child and your school and share it with your child, teachers, the principal, the superintendent, and the school board. When parents raise their voices, change really can happen.
Find out more about Transforming High School
- Watch:The problem — and promise — of high school
- Watch: Culturally responsive teaching is… good teaching
- Watch: The power of giving students voice and choice
- Watch: What if all students got accommodations?
- Read: How schools can help overloaded teens
- Read: 7 ways schools can help teens suffering with mental health issues
- Read: Giving students voice and choice
- Read: Understanding the power of project-based learning
- Read: How mastery-based pacing helps every student succeed
- Read: The most important class isn’t what you think
- Listen: The problem with high school
- Watch: Documentary films and videos to help rethink high school
- Listen: Podcasts to help rethink high school