Posted May 22, 2015
I was unsure, uncertain, and nervous going into my oldest's first year of Kindergarten. Registration was chaotic despite them trying to organize it but I was very very happy as the school year began and progressed. I could not have asked for a better teacher and a better kindergarten year! From what I hear most of the kindergarten teachers are amazing. I cannot speak for them or any of the teachers at other grade levels, but ours was absolutely amazing and my daughter also loved all of the teachers and coaches who taught the specials. Some of the staff are intimidating and sometimes almost confrontational or cold at times, but for the most part we tried to understand and let it roll off. While I see that those moments could be needed with parents I do think at times their approach could be different. All said they are very safe and care greatly about the kids.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted May 20, 2015
They don't like or lack the experience to do so. Poor leadership.. Wouldn't recommend this school as long as Mary Cooper is Principle.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted May 20, 2015
They allow students to disrespect one another before they step in... Which is at the end of year.

Helena Elementary School 2

Posted May 07, 2015
I really do not know of any other parent personally that would rate this school a "5"; so I assume the faculty reviewed here as well. As stated below, the horrible traffic problem cannot be rightfully blamed on HES; however for those of us that take our children to school in the mornings, well, just pray for no trains on the tracks because your child will get a tardy. The office personnel is indeed unfriendly, as is a number of faculty. The common core curriculum that they teach, again not by their own fault; however some of the mandatory assignments you will find uncomfortable. An example is concentrating more on "mother earth" and the environment than mathematics or science. The school that our child attended last year was a much better elementary school all together. They do offer after school care and they do look out for the kids and take care of them. They are a bit friendlier than the faculty, except for the lady that is in charge of signing your child out. She is very unfriendly and has no problem criticizing you if you have the wrong "school" colors on, or how you might look that day etc. I understand the kids in after school avoid her because the consider her "mean".

Helena Elementary School 3

Posted December 08, 2014
Good teachers but office staff can be rude. Principal is rude too and the morning traffic is terrible and the school doesn't seem to care.

Posted August 18, 2014
Great teachers and always willing to help. You might have the one or two that may need to retire but overall they are very dedicated and enjoy being at HES.

Posted July 26, 2012
HES is the BEST!! Words cannot begin to describe what a blessing the Teachers, Faculty, Counselors, Specialty Teachers (Art, Computer, Music, Library), even the Cafeteria & Janitorial staff, have been during my son's 1st year of school. Now he's registered for 1st grade & we have full confidence that this year will be just as wonderful as last year!! Thank You HES(:

Posted January 10, 2011
We love our school! My son receives special education services and we could not be more please with the services he's received at HES.

Posted May 20, 2010
I have had two children go through the Helena Schools and was very pleased with the results. I just want our schools to have the tools to teach the kids as they did when my children were there. Our State has cut out all funds to the classroom and they have no way to buy supplies they need and this would really help them. Every teacher needs a fighting chance.

Posted May 14, 2010
The faculty is great, both of my kids have had good experiences there.

187 Third St, Helena, AL  35080
Last modified Helena Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-2
Helena Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 114 reviews. Top