Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Children are encouraged to exclude certain students if they don't conform - if your child is upset they will be ridiculed and pointed out to the other kids as "acting like a 5 year old" by principal.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

No teaching goes on for math and science. The language arts teacher is fabulous though.

Not sure where to start about this school, but I urge you to do your homework and find out as much as you can about the environment here before enrolling your kids. First the positive. Small classes and low student/teacher ratio. Free before and after school care (although this is not teacher supervised, it's a - very lovely - high school student who provides the care), very little homework. However, the negatives FAR outweigh those few positives. The principal is one of the teachers (for the mixed 4/5/6 grade classroom) and frankly is someone who should consider moving out of the classroom and stay out of education for good. He seems not to even enjoy his job and while he claims to have several years of "teaching experience" he has spent most of his career as a music teacher and has very poor classroom management skills. He frequently raises his voice and on more than one occasion I heard him telling the class to "shut up". He does few lectures and mostly conducts class as "self guided learning" which means work from the book and ask if you have questions. For kids who need actual instruction (a vast majority) this is an extremely boring and difficult way to learn anything. He has favorites who can do no wrong but the other - those who don't conform to whatever the standard du jour happens to be - are ridiculed, made fun of and openly shamed in front of the whole class. If you have a very gifted child, or a child that struggles I urge you to stay away. The school has no good solution for anything other than churning out little robots and they will tell you that if you don't like it that this is probably not the school for you - which explains why there are less than 80 kids enrolled at any time and why the principal offers the kids $500 to get one of their friends or neighbors to enroll. Forget about asking the school to accommodate your child's 504 or IEP - they will just tell you it's a choice school and if you can't do things the way they want you to, to find a new school because "they won't be offended" - which basically says they refuse to try to make things work. Every communication, email, phone call and meeting began and ended very defensively and I would not go near this school with a 10 foot pole if I were you. I'd be surprised if any of the positive reviews here are genuine. The 1 star reviews say it all.

Amount of homework: no rating

There are days and weeks where there were no homework. But then they also did give lots of homework when they gave homework.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The teachers and students. ALso I'm not a current student but I went there last year and year before.

At first this school appears to offer a great program for its students. However, they do not operate the school as they originally told us. We thought it would be good for our daughter, who has a learning disability, because they offered a multi-sensory approach. In actuality, for grades 4-8 the majority of the classes are independent study. I would caution you to be very wary of the principal, who is also one of the teachers, as he will not listen to parents. The end of this past year was a very bad experience. This school is not what it appears so please be very cautious.

Patriot Academy is a wonderful school. The class sizes are small enough that every child gets the attention they need and they are also able to do more fun, hands on activities. I love that they ability group! I had a kindergartner in a public school that was not able to excel because he was being held back by other students' lack of knowledge. But when we moved to PA he was moved up a grade level and now is challenged instead of bored! They do two musicals a year at the Performing Arts Center and all of the kids are involved and the shows are wonderful! I think the most impressive thing about this school is that they have no tolerance for bad behavior. It is my opinion that in a learning environment kids should be able to conduct themselves properly. If they are not respectful of others (especially the teachers) it needs to be addressed and dealt with and this school does a great job of that! Because they are so small they are able to keep a close eye on the kids and I have had no problem at all with bullying. Is it the prettiest school? No. But if that's all you look for in a school, you are looking in the wrong place. The education here is first class.

I don't understand the ideas of the prinicpal. The old buildings look dirty. The treatment of the students and small children are unacceptable. I'm confused as to how it stays open?

In the spring of 2009 we were told by the public school our daughters were too young and there would br no exceptions. We were in a quandry. I bless the day we found the Patriot Academy. Not only did they enroll them at four but they had all day kindergarten. My daughters have excelled at this school. Not only can they spell and recognize several hundred words ... they are reading. They have been doing basic arithmetic for months. Their knowledge of science amazes me. They even took karate. Best of all ... the school instilled a love of learning. Reading and learning new words have become an obsession. My family loves this school. We highly recommend it. My family thanks and commends the principal, their K teacher, and the other staff for an outstanding job.

I am so glad that my daughter was denied entry into our local public school because she was 'too young' to attend. We would have never checked out charter schools otherwise. We were at first turned off by the facilities, but after meeting a few staff members, and observing classes, we decided to try it. I'm so glad we did. My daughter has attended for the past two years, and will continue this coming school year. We look forward to my younger child attending in the future. The only downside for us, so far, is the fact that the school stops at 8th grade. The teacher's challenge and push my child to do her best in all developmental areas. They also always make time to answer my questions and address any concerns I have. Keep up the great work!

Last modified Patriot Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.