Bad
Good

The Academy is a great school. My son is now a sophomore at Encinal and still visits Aoa. The teachers here are always here for the students. The school isn't the richest school but that makes them smart about spending. Small school, great community. A lot of the students are from Oakland, trying to get into better schools.

My son goes to AoA and to my surprise he loves it. All of elementary school was a struggle because he never wanted to go. AoA also has this after school program and my son loves to be there. I have to admit I would like him to want to come home after school like in elementary school. However, now I can work and not worry about anything. His homework is done and he's happy when he gets in the car to go home. His grades? They've improved!

We are happy to have had our son attend AoA. He started in the 6th grade when it was first transitioning from Chipman Middle School and will graduate this spring. The first year was probably too easy (for him) with a few rough patches but lots of enthusiasm from staff. Now at 8th grade he likes the rigor of the academics (challenging), is used to the uniforms (which we love since it removes the peer pressure and morning decisions), and has a certain camaraderie with his peers, all to the efforts and emphasis that the school places on academics and personal responsibility. AoA really communicates with parents through emails, websites, schoolloop, etc, in addtion to teachers being available to talk to any time. He likes to tell us good things that happen in class--his favorite teachers are Ms. Lobatz, Mr. Peterson, Ms. Rad (of course!) Only sorry we have to leave for high school now!

AoA is a very good school! Our son is happy to go there and is thriving academically. Staffs and teachers are excellent, close to student and implied in their success. The staff is always nice and willing to do their best for the children. The character education they are teaching are essential for middle schoolers to keep on developing life skills and values. I recommend AoA to any parents looking for a good Middle School on the island.

This is our family's second year at the Academy. We feel very fortunate to have chosen this middle school for our child. The leadership and teachers are truly top notch. The school culture is one of high academic, social, and behavioral expectations. The staff is committed to helping each student succeed in these areas. The student body is economically and ethnically diverse, and the uniforms and other policies and practices help nurture a sense of unity, common purpose, respect, and high expectations. Incoming students are welcomed to the school by 8th grade WEB leaders (Where Everyone Belongs), who help them get oriented to the school. This year parent volunteers called incoming parents to also welcome them to the school and answer any questions they had. The teachers intentionally create ways for students to connect [positively to the school , including through lunch time intramural sports, and an impressive array of clubs. At AoA it's cool to work hard, treat fellow students and staff with respect, and enjoy learning. After years worrying about what our middle school options might be (we loved our elementary school) I couldn't be happier with where we ended up!

I am a new 6th grader at AOA and I really like it. There are great kids and I've made tons of new friends. With there help I am reaching my highest potential. The Academy has awesome curriculum that is really fun. In science we do lab experiments to collect data instead of just reading out of a text book. There are different math classes for different levels and small class sizes. The History/ELA teacher has meetings with the Math/Science teacher so we never have too much homework. At first i dreaded the uniform but after a few weeks I didn't even think about it. My mom likes it because it make mornings much faster. All my teachers are amazing (shout out to Ms.Lobatz, Ms.Kayson and Mr.Peterson!!! You are AMAZING!!! Thanks to you I'm getting all A's!!). I am so glad I am going to AOA. I couldn't ask for a better school!

This school is fantastic, It has everything your child needs, I have a 6th grader who goes here and Is so amazed with all their teaching, He said he would like to shout out Mr.Small who is an amazing math teacher who has a lot of charisma

We have a 6th grader at AoA. We are so happy with the school. The school is set up to meet the needs of all kinds of learners. This school came replaced the former district middle school in the building because of the No Child Left Behind program. We have seen that the staff really does not leave any children behind. There are many levels of math to meet the needs of of those behind in the subject, while being able to stretch those who are advanced. They do the same with the Lit Circles. The school has interesting clubs for the students, after school sports, a great music program, and even an after school Shakespeare production group. I am very impressed with everyone on staff.

It's my second year in the Academy and because of them I got straight A's ^_^ they helped me in every subject and pushed me further. They also focus on our safety and want us to feel welcome. Rumors always said that middle school was hell but once I started going to the Academy, I didn't believe in it anymore, because we had WEB leaders who are current 8th graders helping the new sixth graders with lockers, schedule, rules, etc.. The teachers are strict about our studies but they also make us laugh. A club fair is held where we could select 3 from A LOT of clubs, and we could also join and sign up for sports. Every Friday they sell yogurt for a dollar, a tasty treat for a great deal! Finally, I'll talk to you about the uniforms, people make a big deal out of it but I honestly don't mind. What I like about uniforms is that it avoids bullying about clothes like what and plus my mom likes it cause I spend WAY too much time choosing my clothes. The Academy of Alameda is a neat, organized, and FUN school!!! I'm positive that students from this school will get to a bright future.

BEST SCHOOL EVER! I LOVE THIS SCHOOL!. The teachers truly care about your education and give you the grade you deserve. The students are kind and friendly. Your child will love this school. They have so much to get involved in, and great student activites.

Last modified The Academy Of Alameda is a Charter school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.