Azusa, CA

W. R. Powell Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
As a teacher at this school I can assure you that we do not in any way discourage or treat parent volunteers poorly. The parent who was new here and wrote the negative review of our school brought much of the negative experiences upon herself. When you are new to a school and come in like a bulldozer trying to change everything all at once with no regard for the staff or parents that have been here for years, doing all they can to help our students, of course you will be met with confusion and uncertainty. Without getting too much into personal issues I can say that the teacher of this particular student was very accommodating and patient with this parent. However, it was never enough. When a parent feels they have the right to try and take over everything, they are overstepping boundaries. Our school is not a negative unwelcoming place....unless you act in a way that invites negativity.

W. R. Powell Elementary School 4

Posted May 09, 2014
The talent show spoken off earlier was wonderful. The teacher who volunteers her time, Mrs. Morales, deserves many, many kudos for the work she puts in working with these children. My family and I were treated to many wonderful acts...the first act was a little kindergartener who experienced microphone problems, but continued on quite professionally while waiting for a replacement mic and picked right up where she was supposed to be in the song. She finished, bowed to the audience, than ran off stage. She was adorable. Another cute act was song by a young boy and was well directed and choreographed. Later in the show another young man sang a sad song with much feeling. The emcee did a great job, even with the corny jokes (lol). It couldn't have been a better evening. Thanks go out to everyone involved in the show, with special credit to Mrs. Morales.

Posted May 04, 2014
A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of attending the Powell Elementary talent show. The gym was absolutely overflowing with parents and students- parent holding signs, students cheering for every performer. The overall supportive and encouraging atmosphere was touching and very impressive. The stage was beautifully decorated and every act included costumes, dance moves, and often background singers and props. I learned that the show is put on each year by one exceptionally dedicated teacher, who volunteers months of rehearsing with these kids to make sure their moments of pride and glory are special. As I entered the auditorium, I had the chance to meet the new principal, who was standing in the doorway with her daughter greeting every guest. She displayed the sharp and professional attitude of a woman fit to lead a faculty and staff without sacrificing the cheerfulness and warmth of someone fit to lead children. Parent volunteers spent the night outside, chatting, laughing, and selling snacks to families. This community was so positive and welcoming. One student performed a song she wrote herself, entitled Powell Knows How to Party. And I have to say, I definitely agree.

W. R. Powell Elementary School 1

Posted March 25, 2014
This is the worst school I have ever been to. This is our first year here and we are all ready exploring other options. The staff is rude and unkind. My sons teacher is not just rude but very condescending, Ex, she refused to allow me to count box tops because "It's very complicated and a lot of work", this was after she complained that she had no help, she also does not want parent volunteers in her class. The Principal is new and does not display strong leadership qualities. The school appears to be run by the janitor, whom is hostile towards parents and students, and the other support staff. This is the only school I have ever been to that is not supportive of parent volunteers. Do not send your kids to this school.

W. R. Powell Elementary School 3

Posted August 12, 2012
I do like the school because it is a small school so it is easier in learning the names of the staff. However I feel that the staff needs to do a better job at challenging students that are a bit more advanced than the other children in their class. The bullying tends to be a problem and the child being bullied is the one that tends to get caught every time when trying to stick up for themselves. The principal needs to really listen to the concerns of the parents, if we come to you its not for our health it is because it is a genuine concern that needs to be address. I pray that this year my child will be more challenged and not pushed to the side while waiting for the rest of the class to "catch up". I feel that more parents need to do their part when it comes to helping their children study as well as discipline at home so they know how to behave at school..

Posted April 17, 2011
I have taught at Powell School for many years, and truly love the community that we serve. In the past, we had a principal who was not a good leader, and that affected staff morale. Now we have an awesome principal who works very hard for the students of Azusa. Remember though, parents play an important part in their child's education. Without their help and support, the child will not succeed, no matter how hard the teachers work. Powell School is filled with caring, dedicated individuals who care about each and every student.

W. R. Powell Elementary School 1

Posted May 28, 2009

Posted May 26, 2009
We have lived across the street from Powell Elementary for 35 years. All our 5 children attended school there. We were extremely pleased with all of their teachers and principals. I now substitute teach in the Azusa School District and Powell is a model school. The staff is always pleasant and helpful. The students are good and have parents who care. I highly recommend Powell Elementary School.

Posted December 03, 2007
This is our first year with Powell, and as a parent, I am very pleased. Indeed the school is small, which helps in knowing the 'faces' of the school and the secretaries are experienced and pleasant there. The principal is very kind and helpful. I am satisfied with this school and my child's teacher. Overall, a satisfied parent.

W. R. Powell Elementary School 0

Posted December 02, 2007
I do not recommend Powell School. I had my student pulled from the school. I was warned before enrolling my child there and I should have listened. The principal does not following through on concerns parents have made. Especially when it comes to student safety. The office staff is rude, both when you call and walk in. Some of the teachers work really hard to see the students become successful, but unfortunately the bad outweighs the good. Young students are being bullied and the principal will do nothing!

W. R. Powell Elementary School
1035 East Mauna Loa, Azusa, CA  91702
Last modified W. R. Powell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
W. R. Powell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top